Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Thinking About Leaving The Food Program
mrsyecker 06:56 AM 02-24-2011
I have no complaints about my food program but I just think I want a little less work in my day. I will still feed the children within the food program guide lines I just don't think I want to report meals every day or report any out of home/closed days.

Any advise?
MommyMuffin 07:54 AM 02-24-2011
I use my food program money to buy my curriculum. Before starting daycare I spent 100 a week on food for my family...I still only spend 100 a week on food!!
I figure I want to feed my kids healthy anyways so the little extra computer work is fine by me.
Cat Herder 08:06 AM 02-24-2011
I already did and I have not missed them....
SilverSabre25 08:17 AM 02-24-2011
I have no interest in being on the food program until the government admits that milk is not the holy grail of nutrition and that there are other sources of calcium (and protein and vitamin D and whatever else makes people view it as such a crucial part of a "healthy" diet)--such as cottage cheese, yogurt, cheese, dark green leafy veggies...
MommyMuffin 08:18 AM 02-24-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I already did and I have not missed them....
I am curious about why you quit and what is better now? Just curious because I told myself if it became a hassle I would quit in a heatbeat.
Cat Herder 08:29 AM 02-24-2011
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
I am curious about why you quit and what is better now? Just curious because I told myself if it became a hassle I would quit in a heatbeat.
I only have newborn-3 year olds. Most here are typically special needs of some sort (feeding tubes, diabetics, cardiac, renal etc). with individual/specialized diets requiring me to make 6 menus a month (if they managed to stay on the same doctor recommended diet plan for a whole month ) with constant substitutions and documentation of such...

I had several different "Food Program Ladies" (last year alone there were 3 ) and all had different "goals" for me...

Then when you add that I am in an area of higher income where no-one qualifies for assistance.....it just was not worth the amount of time/work/frustration, YKWIM?
lil angels 09:32 AM 02-24-2011
the only thing I would worry about is that when I have a new parent come they almost always ask if I am on the food program.
Unregistered 09:39 AM 02-24-2011
Wow. I think the food program is great. Takes 2 min MAX to enter in food for the day and I get paid over $24 to do it. Where else can I make that much money in two minutes?

If you are going to feed them the same foods anyway why not get paid to do so?

Wether or not I agree with the food program guidlines, I would have to take an extra kid everyday just to make up the income lost from the food program. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Plus like someone else mentioned- everyone asks so I think its a necessity in our area.
Cat Herder 09:47 AM 02-24-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Wow. I think the food program is great. Takes 2 min MAX to enter in food for the day and I get paid over $24 to do it. Where else can I make that much money in two minutes?

If you are going to feed them the same foods anyway why not get paid to do so?

Wether or not I agree with the food program guidlines, I would have to take an extra kid everyday just to make up the income lost from the food program. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Plus like someone else mentioned- everyone asks so I think its a necessity in our area.
This is true for alot of folks. I loved it in my first neighborhood on the other side of the state... It even came with a lending library, free curriculum/toys/funiture/art supplies, etc...

Here, though....just hassle
mrsyecker 11:11 AM 02-24-2011
do I have to send them a letter or anything to let them know I am finished or will they figure it out when I stop submitting meals?

I don't have the time for the extra training I am required to do, it disrupts the kids when my rep is here. I want the freedom of only reporting to the parents if we are going to eat lunch at the park.

I don't have a problem following all the rules I just don't want to. I work for myself and don't feel like I have much freedom with a food program
squareone 11:34 AM 02-24-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I have no interest in being on the food program until the government admits that milk is not the holy grail of nutrition and that there are other sources of calcium (and protein and vitamin D and whatever else makes people view it as such a crucial part of a "healthy" diet)--such as cottage cheese, yogurt, cheese, dark green leafy veggies...

I am on the food program but I definitely share your views. I serve the daycare kids milk because I am required to by the food program but I routinely serve my own children something different. They get milk on occasion but it is not their main source of calcium and vitamin D.
happykidschildcare 04:35 PM 02-24-2011
The food program here brings in over $500 a month, which allows me to go to costco and get everything I need. Yes I too am not inthuised when they pop in for a suprise visit for a meal, it can be disruptive, but the benefits out way the pain in my butt so I deal with it. I dont do minute menu I find it faster for me to use write in so I dont have to pre plan, I like winging it depending on what was for dinner the night before etc.. It only takes me 5-10 minutes and I do it at nap time. Guess you have to outweigh the benefits from the pain in your butt.
MommyMuffin 05:46 PM 02-24-2011
Originally Posted by happykidschildcare:
The food program here brings in over $500 a month, which allows me to go to costco and get everything I need. Yes I too am not inthuised when they pop in for a suprise visit for a meal, it can be disruptive, but the benefits out way the pain in my butt so I deal with it. I dont do minute menu I find it faster for me to use write in so I dont have to pre plan, I like winging it depending on what was for dinner the night before etc.. It only takes me 5-10 minutes and I do it at nap time. Guess you have to outweigh the benefits from the pain in your butt.
Wow that is a lot of money. Just curious...how many dck do you have?

To OP, When I grew up there was not very much extra money and I think that has made me anxious about money...so any money coming in gives me a sense of security. I think that is why I could never leave the food program. Its like turning away money! Others may have stricter rules in their area though I suppose.
happykidschildcare 06:17 PM 02-24-2011
We are licensed for 12 currently have 9 ft and 2 pt...I do have a ft asst also.
So Im feeding alot of kiddos!!!!!
MommyMuffin 05:44 AM 02-25-2011
Wow..qudos to you. I would love to have a thriving daycare business like that, but I could never do it!
boysx5 08:05 AM 02-25-2011
I got tired of doing all the menu's each week and writing everything down I feel so less stressed and I don't really miss the money
Tags:food program
Reply Up