Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Had an Epiphany :)
Josiegirl 03:24 AM 04-16-2015
Duh....I'm going to make a written(not mental) list of all the things, little and big, that make me irritated or the days impossible, then come up with a fix-it for each.

I'm always thinking. My mind is running constantly during the day as things come up that are NOT working. But by the time the day is over, they're gone. Until the next time. Then it seems like every time that particular issue comes up, it's gotten bigger, irritating me even more. Until something blows over the top.

For instance, blankets for nap time. A little thing right? We have no regs. right now about keeping blankets separate, etc. So when I stack the cots after naps, all the blankets/pillows just get stacked between the cots. The current thing seems to be play-acting Elsa and Anna, which is fine. But they've taken to getting all the blankets out and running around the house using them as capes. The other day was a screaming crying madhouse(neighbors must've thought I was killing them all)trying to get them all outside because they didn't want to give up their blankets. I've ordered those xl ziploc bags(thank you whoever suggested storing bedstuff in those!) and will label them, store them up high. Problem solved. Then I'll scout out some easy cape directions, cheap materials and voila.

Onto next problem.

Just tell me it'll work.
scorp122 04:20 AM 04-16-2015
I just ordered capes for my daycare, they were like $3 a piece from Aliexpress, i was pretty impressed they look like they should last awhile. My kids love them!
Gemma 04:46 AM 04-16-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Duh....I'm going to make a written(not mental) list of all the things, little and big, that make me irritated or the days impossible, then come up with a fix-it for each.
Excellent idea!

I do something like that, but not on a daily basis, maybe I should!
Kabob 05:27 AM 04-16-2015
I do the same thing...I vent about the issue then I think about how I can avoid the issue in the future.

Getting capes for dress up sounds like a good idea. My kiddos love them. I also like the ziploc bag idea for the blankets. Gives me ideas for things here...hmmmmm....
Pepperth 06:10 AM 04-16-2015
I'm with you! I've been thinking of making a list for several days. I just have to do it now.
Blackcat31 06:36 AM 04-16-2015

I'm always thinking. My mind is running constantly during the day as things come up that are NOT working. But by the time the day is over, they're gone. Until the next time. Then it seems like every time that particular issue comes up, it's gotten bigger, irritating me even more. Until something blows over the top.

For instance, blankets for nap time. A little thing right? We have no regs. right now about keeping blankets separate, etc. So when I stack the cots after naps, all the blankets/pillows just get stacked between the cots. The current thing seems to be play-acting Elsa and Anna, which is fine. But they've taken to getting all the blankets out and running around the house using them as capes. The other day was a screaming crying madhouse(neighbors must've thought I was killing them all)trying to get them all outside because they didn't want to give up their blankets. I've ordered those xl ziploc bags(thank you whoever suggested storing bedstuff in those!) and will label them, store them up high. Problem solved. Then I'll scout out some easy cape directions, cheap materials and voila.

Onto next problem.

Just tell me it'll work.
Ok, this is just a thought....not something you should or have to do....but have you considered instead of changing/altering the things that irritate you to just (pardon the pun..it just seems fitting ) but to just "let it go?"

Instead of trying to get the kids to stop using the blankets as capes but instead LET them? I know, I know.... I am NOT crazy....

I just mean that sometimes THOSE moments are the reason this job is awesome! Sometimes letting the kids dictate the things they want to do and just going with it (within reason) is so much fun that I don't know why I don't just "let it go" every day. I know why...we DO need consistency and routine but sometimes when that consistency and routine becomes dull and boring, we need to change it up.

As providers it seems we spend a majority of our day trying to keep bins from being dumped, toys from being tossed, pieces to puzzles from getting lost, and are constantly and continually trying to keep the peace and organization we cling to daily with the belief that THAT is what is necessary to keep us sane but in reality.....it's important but it's not the end game. Its not really whats important.

Sometimes putting a blanket around your shoulders and setting out to save the world IS what's it all about. Sometimes play OUTSIDE of our normal daily routine is what WE (as adults) need to remember why we do what we do day in and day out.

Josiegirl 09:31 AM 04-16-2015
I definitely get what you're saying BC about that. I do. And I definitely do need to let a lot more things go because things just like you mentioned, tend to drive me insane day after day. The blankets have been happening for awhile and it's now to the point where if someone starts crying, they all have to run to get a blanket, dragging it all over the house, over our mud-covered floors, fighting over what color to have, little tots tripping, you get the idea. It adds to my stress big time.

And the blanket issue was just 1 example. The other day dcg brought Sven from home and took him to nap time with her. Well, one of my dogs is a major toy stealer and usually I catch her before any damage is done but Sven went home that day missing an antler. Dcm said it was fine, they put band-aids on him and dcg didn't care. But for my own guilt complex, I bought her another one. Easier(and cheaper!) to fix is not allowing anything from home.
originalkat 11:01 AM 04-16-2015
Yes! I agree with you and have changed things over the years so that I am happy doing what I do. Many of these things have been policy issues or time off etc... But sometimes it is just how things are done in my daily routine. For example, I would always have the kids keep their pullups in their cubbies. Then back and forth I would go every day. Then the aha moment when I decided to move them to the bathroom where I actually NEEDED them. Imagine that! Sometimes fixing the little things can make a HUGE difference!
Unregistered 01:15 PM 04-16-2015
I will second blackcat in that some things are just fun "kid stuff." My own children used there blankets as capes and to build forts. A blanket can be so many amazing things. For my childcare setting, I didn't really want the kids using their blankets because I have a golden retriever who sheds. I didn't ban blanket play but I put a bunch of large pieces of fabric in a bin and bought some capes in the party aisle at Target. The kids love the classroom fabric and capes so much that they don't get out their blankets to play anymore.
Unregistered 02:00 PM 04-16-2015

Onto next problem.

Just tell me it'll work.
I agree! It makes you feel so productive when you find the solution to put out one of your small fires. (Those fires sometimes add up and they're different for each induvidual.) I love your idea to make them capes to replace the blankets. I bet they're going to love them!
daycarediva 03:18 PM 04-16-2015
Capes are super easy to cut out of old tshirts, too. Just leave the neck on/trim on. I have a variety for outside play.

I would also just buy/make capes and have them play with those AND make a rule, no blankets off the bedding.

I store my bedding in bins, labeled with each child's name. They get out at story time and get put back after rest time. We only use them for the occasional indoor picnic or video otherwise.
Kabob 03:31 PM 04-16-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Capes are super easy to cut out of old tshirts, too. Just leave the neck on/trim on. I have a variety for outside play.

I would also just buy/make capes and have them play with those AND make a rule, no blankets off the bedding.

I store my bedding in bins, labeled with each child's name. They get out at story time and get put back after rest time. We only use them for the occasional indoor picnic or video otherwise.
I got tons of old tshirts, so that's a cool idea.

I just don't let the kids play with the nap time stuff as I have one that has a gross smelling lovey (dcm swears it is clean) and I just imagine icky stuff all over it since dcg told me she puked all over it last week. So it stays in there.

I do, however, have blankets on the couches and chairs that the kids like to use for play. If you don't have capes then you could set out separate blankets for play.
Silly Songs 05:47 PM 04-16-2015
Do you have sheets on the cots ? Put the blankets in the sheets , folded. Presto , the kids don't see them and won't play with them .
daycare 06:05 PM 04-16-2015
last summer we had super hero camp and i made 16 capes from 2 sheets that I bought a garage sale...I can email you the pic if you want. I don't want to post it here and get into trouble..
NoMoreJuice! 06:38 PM 04-16-2015
Are you at my house?? Lol, my kids have been doing the Anna/Elsa cape thing for over a year and it drives me NUTS when they pilfer clean towels or sheets from my laundry room when I'm not looking. They are stinking adorable doing role playing, but I completely understand your need for a sense of order.

I love the suggestion of getting capes for them to play with, and maybe just have designated hooks for them?
Josiegirl 02:21 AM 04-17-2015
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
Are you at my house?? Lol, my kids have been doing the Anna/Elsa cape thing for over a year and it drives me NUTS when they pilfer clean towels or sheets from my laundry room when I'm not looking. They are stinking adorable doing role playing, but I completely understand your need for a sense of order.

I love the suggestion of getting capes for them to play with, and maybe just have designated hooks for them?
haha, It IS cute and at first it was just my 2 4 yos. But now I've got the 20 mo and the 2 yo's running around, singing let it go. And still, it's cute. But I do have to take care of the napping blankets, maybe cut the other blankets in half so they're not trailing around everywhere. Believe me, if it hadn't become an issue, I would've 'let it go'.

Whenever anything becomes an issue as to create so much stress in your day, it needs to be changed somehow. Like locking the front door when the first car pulls in at 7. Lol I'M KIDDING
KiddieCahoots 09:21 AM 04-17-2015

Onto next problem.

Just tell me it'll work.
It'll work!!!

I live by written notes and lists! It's a must for someone with ADD, where the mind is switching gears constantly. And with the amount of multitasking we daycare providers do, it's so helpful. Not to mention how rewarding it is to cross a solved problem off that list. I like to exaggerate it a bit while I'm successfully crossing off an item on the list, by singing like a chorus of angels as I do it....Aaaaaahhhhh ........
AmyKidsCo 12:25 PM 04-17-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Ok, this is just a thought....not something you should or have to do....but have you considered instead of changing/altering the things that irritate you to just (pardon the pun..it just seems fitting ) but to just "let it go?"

Instead of trying to get the kids to stop using the blankets as capes but instead LET them? I know, I know.... I am NOT crazy....

I just mean that sometimes THOSE moments are the reason this job is awesome! Sometimes letting the kids dictate the things they want to do and just going with it (within reason) is so much fun that I don't know why I don't just "let it go" every day. I know why...we DO need consistency and routine but sometimes when that consistency and routine becomes dull and boring, we need to change it up.

As providers it seems we spend a majority of our day trying to keep bins from being dumped, toys from being tossed, pieces to puzzles from getting lost, and are constantly and continually trying to keep the peace and organization we cling to daily with the belief that THAT is what is necessary to keep us sane but in reality.....it's important but it's not the end game. Its not really whats important.

Sometimes putting a blanket around your shoulders and setting out to save the world IS what's it all about. Sometimes play OUTSIDE of our normal daily routine is what WE (as adults) need to remember why we do what we do day in and day out.

Like I said in another thread - "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em." Rather than go nuts trying to "beat" the kids (not literally!) join 'em instead. Let them use the blankets, with the expectation that they'll be put back on the cots when the children are done with them.
Reply Up