Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parent Handbook Posts
mduck 04:36 AM 05-22-2015
I have been searching and searching for Parent Handbook Examples in order to build my own should I be able to go that route. There have been a few posts here and there where some have shared theirs for people to figure out how to build their own. I just can't find those posts. I've searched high and low. Is there anyway that someone can point me to those posts?
Thanks!
Blackcat31 05:24 AM 05-22-2015
Originally Posted by mduck:
I have been searching and searching for Parent Handbook Examples in order to build my own should I be able to go that route. There have been a few posts here and there where some have shared theirs for people to figure out how to build their own. I just can't find those posts. I've searched high and low. Is there anyway that someone can point me to those posts?
Thanks!
Here are several threads about handbooks. I don't know how many have examples but they are tagged in the search function as "handbooks" so .....

I PM'ed you mine.
Starburst 03:26 PM 05-22-2015
Redleaf Press books (By Tom Copeland) for Family Child Care providers has a book called "Contracts and Policies". Contract is anything regarding the fees and policies are your rules (what you would put in your handbook).

Some ideas of categories that might be in your handbook (just ideas, not all are required):
Introduction: Maybe start off on a light note with a little intro into the provider (you) and some things you would like them to know about you (if you have children, if you have previous experience or education working with children). Possibly a mission statement for your program and a brief description of the age groups you watch and what kind of service your program offers (infant, toddler, preschool, before/after school; tutoring, child care, preschool, play based, Waldon/Montessori/ Raggio based/inspired curriculum, homes schooling alternative, summer program).
Hours (also needs to be mentioned in the contract) Contract hours and/or your businesses' days/hours of operation. Early drop-off/late pick up policy, late payment (no pay, no play/stay?) Holding fees? Acceptable forms of payment (check/cash/ credit card/ money order)? Do you accept DHS or other forms of government child care assistants?
House rules Expected conduct of the children (and families) in your care.
Medication policy Do you administer chronic or temporary medication? Allergies: Are you a peanut/fragrance free program? (can be a selling point for children with severe allergies or asthma).
Sick policy What symptoms do you send home
Vacation How many vacations {paid and unpaid} do you take a year? Are you opened holidays? How many unpaid vacations a year do they get and how much notice is needed?
Schedule What do you do during a typical day?
Food policy Do you provide food or the parents?
Toy policy Do you allow toys from home?
Field Trips Do you do field trips? are parents/family members allowed to volunteer/attend? do you pay all the fees or are parents responsible?
Pick ups/ Visitors Do you allow visits during the day (most states require licensed daycare have open door policy where parents can drop in any time)? Do you allow other relatives to visit? Do you allow only one pick up per day?
Pet policy Do you have pets? Are they vaccinated? How do you plan to keep the children (and your pets) safe?
Transportation Do you transport kids {driving or walking kids to/from school, preschool, morning/afternoon kinder, appointments, field trips}? Do parents need to leave booster/car seats or strollers?
Mandate Reporter Explain that all child care providers are state mandated reporters who report any suspicion of abuse or neglect against a minor.
Termination What type of things do you terminate for (non-payment, violent behavior from child {or parent}, breaking contract or policy rules)?
Emergancy plan What is your plan in case of an emergancy (fire, flood, blackout, earthquake, hurricane, medical- anything you think is applicable).
Smith3 05:03 PM 10-27-2015
Originally Posted by Starburst:
Redleaf Press books (By Tom Copeland) for Family Child Care providers has a book called "Contracts and Policies". Contract is anything regarding the fees and policies are your rules (what you would put in your handbook).

Some ideas of categories that might be in your handbook (just ideas, not all are required):
Introduction: Maybe start off on a light note with a little intro into the provider (you) and some things you would like them to know about you (if you have children, if you have previous experience or education working with children). Possibly a mission statement for your program and a brief description of the age groups you watch and what kind of service your program offers (infant, toddler, preschool, before/after school; tutoring, child care, preschool, play based, Waldon/Montessori/ Raggio based/inspired curriculum, homes schooling alternative, summer program).
Hours (also needs to be mentioned in the contract) Contract hours and/or your businesses' days/hours of operation. Early drop-off/late pick up policy, late payment (no pay, no play/stay?) Holding fees? Acceptable forms of payment (check/cash/ credit card/ money order)? Do you accept DHS or other forms of government child care assistants?
House rules Expected conduct of the children (and families) in your care.
Medication policy Do you administer chronic or temporary medication? Allergies: Are you a peanut/fragrance free program? (can be a selling point for children with severe allergies or asthma).
Sick policy What symptoms do you send home
Vacation How many vacations {paid and unpaid} do you take a year? Are you opened holidays? How many unpaid vacations a year do they get and how much notice is needed?
Schedule What do you do during a typical day?
Food policy Do you provide food or the parents?
Toy policy Do you allow toys from home?
Field Trips Do you do field trips? are parents/family members allowed to volunteer/attend? do you pay all the fees or are parents responsible?
Pick ups/ Visitors Do you allow visits during the day (most states require licensed daycare have open door policy where parents can drop in any time)? Do you allow other relatives to visit? Do you allow only one pick up per day?
Pet policy Do you have pets? Are they vaccinated? How do you plan to keep the children (and your pets) safe?
Transportation Do you transport kids {driving or walking kids to/from school, preschool, morning/afternoon kinder, appointments, field trips}? Do parents need to leave booster/car seats or strollers?
Mandate Reporter Explain that all child care providers are state mandated reporters who report any suspicion of abuse or neglect against a minor.
Termination What type of things do you terminate for (non-payment, violent behavior from child {or parent}, breaking contract or policy rules)?
Emergancy plan What is your plan in case of an emergancy (fire, flood, blackout, earthquake, hurricane, medical- anything you think is applicable).
THANK YOU for sharing! So so much!
Tags:handbook, parent handbook, parent handbook posts
Reply Up