Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Don't Know If It's Time to Close It Up
kitykids3 11:24 AM 10-17-2013
I don't post much while I am here, but I read quite a lot. Anyways, I am at a loss. I have been open for 7 years this month. I lost 5 kiddos in August to go off to school. Last week I had a parent text me and say they could no longer afford daycare so that was an unexpected immediate pulling.

Now today I get a notice from another family. Even with last week's loss, my income is now no longer enough to cover my monthly expenses and this will make it worse.

Everyone says I am great at what I do and I have 5 stars, but I am wondering if maybe this is the end of this road for me. I always believed this was my calling after I got my degree and decided I didn't want to work in the public school system and didn't like what I saw at the group centers. But it makes me question, if I'm good at this, then why am I not full?

Why will I now be at a point where I can't pay my bills and will have to get a part time job? I do have a family that wants to start their baby in January, and possibly a second family too, but I am wondering if I should continue or close. I can't imagine doing anything else or working for someone else, but maybe I'm not good at this after all. Have I reached my burnout? This is not a way to start my vacation tomorrow, thinking about this. ugh!
Sorry this is so long. Maybe I'm not looking for answers, but just needed to vent. I am in shock right now.
Shell 11:36 AM 10-17-2013
I wouldn't give I up if I were you. It sounds like this is your calling, and something you really enjoy. I would sign up the baby for January, and see if you can secure a spot with the other family so that way you at least have a decent income to get by on. If you love this line of work, don't let these set backs deter you
momofsix 11:43 AM 10-17-2013
*Everyone says you're great at this*
*you believe this is your calling*
*you can't imagine doing anything else*
*Your kids left-because they grew old enough to go to school and mom couldn't afford it*
*you already have 1 possibly 2 clients lined up for the new year*

It sounds to me like you still want to do childcare. Your families didn't leave because they were unhappy with you but because of other circumstances.

Have you had any ads our to try and fill your openings? Have you had any interviews?
I 'd ask all of the parents that just had their kids age out to write you reference letters and then rev up the advertising to fill your spots!
Good luck!
BrooklynM 11:49 AM 10-17-2013
Contact all of your past clients. Send them an email and check up on their son or daughter, then let them know that you have a full time opening. I wouldn't say you have several openings, just say "an" opening. Let them know that you have found that the best clients come from word of mouth! Send those out today, wait through the weekend and see if you get any leads! Also, talk to the person that is terming and ask them if they might know someone that is looking for daycare to take that child's spot. Parents with young kids tend to have friends with young kids! They are your best resource. Don't give up yet!
Jack Sprat 11:51 AM 10-17-2013
I say stick with it! I went from full down to one back in September. I was struggling to get kids. Then bam! Like that I am back where I want to be.

Its hard to go with the ebb and flow of business. Advertise if you haven't and sign the January family up. Stick with it!!
Heidi 11:58 AM 10-17-2013
I pm'd you...
melilley 12:00 PM 10-17-2013
Sounds like this is what you were born to do-you said so yourself.

I think right now it's really slow. I've had an opening for 2 1/2 months now and no leads for the age I can take. I also have seen others on here struggling right now to find families.

I say stay with it. Give yourself some time to find new families, until you financially can't do it! Can you imagine doing anything else?
MyAngels 12:42 PM 10-17-2013
Originally Posted by BrooklynM:
Contact all of your past clients. Send them an email and check up on their son or daughter, then let them know that you have a full time opening. I wouldn't say you have several openings, just say "an" opening. Let them know that you have found that the best clients come from word of mouth! Send those out today, wait through the weekend and see if you get any leads! Also, talk to the person that is terming and ask them if they might know someone that is looking for daycare to take that child's spot. Parents with young kids tend to have friends with young kids! They are your best resource. Don't give up yet!
Excellent advice

I think anyone who has been doing this long enough has gone through this type of situation. I know I have, and it made me question staying open, too.

missy 12:49 PM 10-17-2013
So sorry to hear you're going through a tough time.

If you enjoy your work, then absolutely keep doing it! It sounds like you lost the majority because they grew up and started school and it had nothing to do with your service. I say start advertising-- chances are people just don't know about you, and the parents of the kids you had may not know many parents to refer you to because their kids are grown up too.

Did you see the recent post ("0-7 in 7 days" I think it was called) about the flyers? Just get out there and market yourself and I have no doubt you will fill up again:-)

Keep us posted!
Familycare71 01:03 PM 10-17-2013
Anyone who has been doing this awhile has been where you are. You can't take it personal because it is circumstantial. If you do remain in this business (and it sounds like you should!) you have to accept this is part of it. I have never had a dry spell last more than two months. It is hard to get by then but there is a light at the end of the tunnel
Do what others said and get your name out there! It will get better just give it some time
kitykids3 04:52 AM 10-18-2013
Thanks everybody. I'm still sad but better than yesterday. I'm taking it less personally than yesterday. I know this is just a bump. I'm going on vacation next week and going to try and not think of it, then come back renewed and full force.
Tags:burnout, burnt out
Reply Up