Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ok I Finally Admitted It
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 05:52 AM 03-19-2015
I told my husband last night that I actually want to continue with daycare after our youngest goes to school. I can see myself doing this for a long time to come. I've had a hard time with burnout, but I have been taking classes given by the state and it has helped a lot. I have a few things I need to fix and I'm working on it.
Rockgirl 05:55 AM 03-19-2015
I used to think I would do something else when my kids were both in school. Well, they are now 23 and 20...,I'm still here!
originalkat 06:02 AM 03-19-2015
I think this job does have a learning curve. I can see how different I do things now compared to my first few years. Once you get a good groove, it really is a pretty sweet gig for those of us who have a heart for it.
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 06:14 AM 03-19-2015
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
I used to think I would do something else when my kids were both in school. Well, they are now 23 and 20...,I'm still here!
Our youngest is 4 and I was planning on going back into the work force once she started school. However, I like being here in the morning to put them on the bus and then the afternoon when they get home. I love that I don't have to depend on other people when school is closed or send them to an over crowded summer camp.

I also like the fact I can take off whenever I want (within reason).
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 06:16 AM 03-19-2015
Originally Posted by originalkat:
I think this job does have a learning curve. I can see how different I do things now compared to my first few years. Once you get a good groove, it really is a pretty sweet gig for those of us who have a heart for it.
I'm just starting my 4th year. I was weighing out the pro/con and there are a lot of pros with this job. My major negative is the parents but I deal with them maybe 10 minutes a day so that is manageable. I'm learning as I go. These classes are really helping to put things into perspective.
Baby Beluga 06:42 AM 03-19-2015
I'm glad the classes are helping!
rosieteddy 08:44 AM 03-19-2015
I ran my daycare all through my childrens schooling.The biggest negative was that I could not easily see them at school (feild trips ,shows ,classroom help).The positives defineately won.I was here afternoons and when they were sick or had no school.I was here when they were teenagers,They had babysitting jobs where the children knew who they were. There was a lot of positives then I was lucky enough to have my 2 grandsons in my group. The money was decent . It has been a great job for me.
AmyKidsCo 08:45 AM 03-19-2015
Personally I think it's easier when your own children are in school.
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 08:53 AM 03-19-2015
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Especially my 4-year old. She has become a sassy monster lately.
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 08:58 AM 03-19-2015
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
I ran my daycare all through my childrens schooling.The biggest negative was that I could not easily see them at school (feild trips ,shows ,classroom help).The positives defineately won.I was here afternoons and when they were sick or had no school.I was here when they were teenagers,They had babysitting jobs where the children knew who they were. There was a lot of positives then I was lucky enough to have my 2 grandsons in my group. The money was decent . It has been a great job for me.
I am going to talk to a financial advisor and see how much I should be putting away for retirement. I'm working on getting licensed now. It's a slow process for me though. We are talking about buying a bigger house next year so that will be an even bigger plus. I'm just at peace with what I am doing. It certainly helps that they are all pretty much the same age groups (3) 2-yr old and (2) 4-year olds.

My older kids get upset when I say anything about going back to work so they completely support me doing daycare. I also changed my hours so that I close right as they get off the bus in the afternoon. I close the week of their spring break and Christmas break. So they don't interact too much with the littles.
Gemma 09:10 AM 03-19-2015
Originally Posted by Cozy_Kids_Childcare:
I told my husband last night that I actually want to continue with daycare after our youngest goes to school. I can see myself doing this for a long time to come. I've had a hard time with burnout, but I have been taking classes given by the state and it has helped a lot. I have a few things I need to fix and I'm working on it.
I came close to quitting before, then I realized hey, I really like this job!.... what caused tremendous amount of stress, was trying to make things work, with families that clearly did not fit my program!...once I stopped doing that, the stress was gone and never came back!

Good luck to you!
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 09:23 AM 03-19-2015
Originally Posted by Gemma:
I came close to quitting before, then I realized hey, I really like this job!.... what caused tremendous amount of stress, was trying to make things work, with families that clearly did not fit my program!...once I stopped doing that, the stress was gone and never came back!

Good luck to you!
Yeah I agree it is mainly the parents that I have given an inch and then expect a mile. Which this is just one of the changes I'm making.
daycarediva 09:23 AM 03-19-2015
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
I agree that this was a downside/not attending school functions. My sons teacher last year told me that teachers often plan events MONTHS in advance, so I asked each teacher this year. I explained my job, and how I like to give families advance notice. BOTH teachers sent me a list of dates/times when there would be school functions! I am able to take 1/2 days, or days of to chaperone and volunteer!

Op- this was me two years ago! I was planning my 'out', exploring child care options and discussing returning to work with my former employer. I looked at my husband one evening and said "I don't want to close." I really do (most days!) enjoy my job!
Gemma 10:48 AM 03-19-2015
Yeah I agree it is mainly the parents that I have given an inch and then expect a mile. Which this is just one of the changes I'm making.
I hope you can stick with what works for you and get rid of the families that do not!

This job can either keep you younger than you are, or age you at the speed of light....it's up to you!
spinnymarie 11:52 AM 03-19-2015
So glad to hear this today!
I just sent one child to Grandma's yesterday with the flu and today another one, so I've been wallowing without them and thinking how hard it would be to continue when they're in school...
I suppose I also hadn't considered that they'll be in school so I'll still be missing them whether I'm running a home daycare or at some other job!
Blackcat31 12:02 PM 03-19-2015
Good for you!

I LOVE when providers choose to make a career out of this verses just doing it while your own kids are young.

My kids weren't in school yet when I first opened but are now 23 and 26 and I agree with Amy when she said it's easier when you don't have your own kids in care....because it is true for many of us.

If I had to choose ONLY one piece of advice to give someone looking to make this a life long career it would be to decide at the VERY beginning of a parent-provider relationship what things are parental responsibilities and what things are provider responsibilities. While those two things can appear blurry or as if some things belong in both categories; they don't.

I will support, educate refer and encourage a parent in any way I can but I will NOT do things for them.

Being a parent IS hard....

I survived my own children (and trust me, one of mine is the WHOLE reason I am here ) so I refuse to take on responsibility that is not mine. Even if doing so make my job easier because it "might" be easier for now but won't be in the long run.
Thriftylady 04:51 PM 03-19-2015
I quit when my kids were still in school and am starting again. Much easier now that DD is older she had a hard time sharing me when she was 2. I enjoy it much more that she is on board.
DaveA 06:22 PM 03-19-2015
I told everyone I would go back to centers when my daughter went to kindergarten- she's 9 now. I'm sure I could go back to centers and enjoy it. I just don't want to.

Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Agree 100%
SSWonders 05:42 AM 03-20-2015
I did the same thing, only for me it was after three years of nursing school nights and weekends, while I ran my daycare during the week, and 30 K later that I told hubby I didn't want to give up the daycare, even though the income would be a lot lower and my own kids would be in school. After much head shaking on his part he agreed that I should choose whichever I wanted. Here we are 26 years later and no end in site any time soon.
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 07:51 AM 03-20-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Good for you!

I LOVE when providers choose to make a career out of this verses just doing it while your own kids are young.

My kids weren't in school yet when I first opened but are now 23 and 26 and I agree with Amy when she said it's easier when you don't have your own kids in care....because it is true for many of us.

If I had to choose ONLY one piece of advice to give someone looking to make this a life long career it would be to decide at the VERY beginning of a parent-provider relationship what things are parental responsibilities and what things are provider responsibilities. While those two things can appear blurry or as if some things belong in both categories; they don't.

I will support, educate refer and encourage a parent in any way I can but I will NOT do things for them.

Being a parent IS hard....

I survived my own children (and trust me, one of mine is the WHOLE reason I am here ) so I refuse to take on responsibility that is not mine. Even if doing so make my job easier because it "might" be easier for now but won't be in the long run.
I'm learning the lesson of parent/provider relationship right now. My husband tells me I have too much of a southern heart. I'm very soft hearted and not business minded at all. Im slowly taking his advice of saving my soft side for the kids and being only professional business person with parents.
I never thought I would do this after my youngest went to school and 6-months ago I was counting the days till I could go back to work. Then I got rid of my stressful baby and started taking a few classes regarding daycare and it really has opened my eyes to what it could be like. I don't hate to see the kids come in the morning and I'm not in a bad mood anymore by time my kids get home. Plus I think my husband working now took a lot of the anxiety away.
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 07:54 AM 03-20-2015
Originally Posted by SSWonders:
I did the same thing, only for me it was after three years of nursing school nights and weekends, while I ran my daycare during the week, and 30 K later that I told hubby I didn't want to give up the daycare, even though the income would be a lot lower and my own kids would be in school. After much head shaking on his part he agreed that I should choose whichever I wanted. Here we are 26 years later and no end in site any time soon.
Yep... I've been going to school FT for a degree in paralegal. I wanted to work in the Jag office on base. Well that was my plan. I'm still a year out from finishing my 4-year degree. After this semester I'm going to switch to ECE. I think it can only help. Especially with all these new programs coming out.
Tags:burnout
Reply Up