Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dads are Funny
SilverSabre25 05:01 AM 11-09-2010
DCD is taking care of DCB this week as DCM is away on business. Yesterday, DCB arrived without a coat and DCD sent two things of applesauce for DCB to eat (I fed him one and gave him other foods around it). Today, DCB arrived in the same clothes I put him in yesterday, without having had a morning diaper change (DCD did tell us that he basically got DCB up and immediately stuck him in the car, so maybe DCB slept late or something...) and with cheerios (okay), raisins (whatever) and dried prunes for food. And another applesauce.

Now wait...dried prunes? Really? For a 13 month old? who has ONE tooth? Um...huh? That's also a food I've NEVER seen DCM send for him. It any form. Yeah...I'm just going to tuck those back in the diaper bag.

I'm amused, to say the least. This is a DCD who strikes me very much as the "absent-minded professor" type. He reminds me of my DH who used to forget to put DD's pants back on her after changing her diaper.
MN Mom 05:14 AM 11-09-2010
I'm sorry...I just have to laugh! It's reasons like HIM that I have a hard time leaving my husband with my kids for more than one day. Now that my oldest girl is 12, and can cook, clean and do laundry it's not so bad...but a few years back..yea right!
SilverSabre25 05:21 AM 11-09-2010
Don't apologize for laughing! I think it's hilarious, too. That's why I posted it.
Lilbutterflie 05:31 AM 11-09-2010
Well, maybe he thought he was doing good as long as it was healthy? LOL
Cute story. Is this something you think you could share and laugh with dcm about when she returns?
nannyde 05:37 AM 11-09-2010
I don't find it amusing at all. I would be furious if one of my parents brought me a kid in that condition.

A child needs fresh clothing every day. A child needs TIME with their parents in the morning before going into the world. A child that age needs food he can actually digest. A child needs to be cleansed in the morning and have a fresh diaper on.

When you have a kid you don't get to behave like that. When you have a kid you HAVE to physically care for them. It's not a man thing or a dad thing... it's a LAZY unorganized parent who is behaving badly at your doorstep thing.
kitkat 06:24 AM 11-09-2010
I'm guessing he's a first time dad? If so, that's a good one and I hope dcm can laugh about it, too! Those first time dad's do try hard, but don't always get it right. I remember when I picked DS up from daycare (before I started child care). I immediately noticed his outfit was on backwards. Daycare left it that way so I could see how Daddy dressed him. I thought it was funny. DH wasn't normally in charge of getting DS ready in the morning. Hopefully tomorrow will go smoother for dcd
SilverSabre25 06:37 AM 11-09-2010
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I don't find it amusing at all. I would be furious if one of my parents brought me a kid in that condition.

A child needs fresh clothing every day. A child needs TIME with their parents in the morning before going into the world. A child that age needs food he can actually digest. A child needs to be cleansed in the morning and have a fresh diaper on.

When you have a kid you don't get to behave like that. When you have a kid you HAVE to physically care for them. It's not a man thing or a dad thing... it's a LAZY unorganized parent who is behaving badly at your doorstep thing.
Aw, see, that's awfully harsh. Cut the poor guy some slack; relax and see the humor in it! Most dads just don't pay attention to details the way moms/women do. He's not used to being a full-time single dad and this is only day 2! I have clean clothes for him; he usually comes in jammies, that's not unusual--it's just amusing. He has clean diapers and food. I"m not giving him the prunes (duh, lol) but am giving him plenty of stuff he CAN have. He's not the only kid I have that doesn't spend much time with parents in the morning...and honestly, how many do? I know that when I was going to University full-time, when I had early classes and had to drop DD off with my mom, I'd let her sleep until the last possible minute before I left because sleep is important.

Sure, if this was every day, it wouldn't be okay. But it's ONE DAY out of SEVEN MONTHS of my watching him!
SilverSabre25 06:41 AM 11-09-2010
Originally Posted by kitkat:
I'm guessing he's a first time dad? If so, that's a good one and I hope dcm can laugh about it, too! Those first time dad's do try hard, but don't always get it right. I remember when I picked DS up from daycare (before I started child care). I immediately noticed his outfit was on backwards. Daycare left it that way so I could see how Daddy dressed him. I thought it was funny. DH wasn't normally in charge of getting DS ready in the morning. Hopefully tomorrow will go smoother for dcd
OH yeah, first-timer. And DCM hasn't been away on business since DCB was about 7.5-8 months old--not much in the way of solids yet at that point, mostly just bottles. DCM will certainly laugh too; she's a good one. In fact, she left me several extra outfits because she was pretty sure DCD would forget to send them and paid me a week early because she KNOWS her DH and knew he would forget.

LOL that's funny about your DS with the backwards clothes. My DH has done things like that. I remember one notable time when he managed to squeeze 9 mo DD into 0-3 month pants and a 3-6 month onesie. I have a picture of that one! It was funny. He STILL will manage to grab the ONE too-small pair of jammies hanging around--did that just the other night in fact. I laughed when DD came out of her room and DH couldn't see what was so funny.
Childminder 06:43 AM 11-09-2010
I remember the first time I left my son with my father. First child he ever changed a diaper on. It was backwards - but at least he changed him!
melskids 06:45 AM 11-09-2010
i came home from work one day to see my son playing outside in a slushy mud puddle in february in a tshirt and his good school sneakers.

once my hubby went to pick my older son up at school for a dr. appt. and didnt know what grade he was in or who his teacher was (so the secretary knew which classroom to call)

i came home one night from a training to find out my kids ate string cheese and popcorn for dinner. leftovers were in the fridge, all he had to do was plate it up and microwave it....

recently, someone asked him how old his kids were. he said 13 and 10. (try 14 and 8...)

some men just cant get it together, and would wither away without us women to save them. but he tries hard and he is a good dad, and i wouldnt trade him for the world.
nannyde 07:09 AM 11-09-2010
Originally Posted by kitkat:
I'm guessing he's a first time dad? If so, that's a good one and I hope dcm can laugh about it, too! Those first time dad's do try hard, but don't always get it right. I remember when I picked DS up from daycare (before I started child care). I immediately noticed his outfit was on backwards.
Nope

Not changing a childs night diaper. Leaving a baby in clothes from the day before... that's NOT THE SAME as putting on a pair of pants backwards. No comparison. One is so easy to do .... one is complete negligence.

That Dad has been a father for THIRTEEN months. That Dad has seen his baby be changed when he got out of bed HUNDREDS of times from nap sleeping and night sleeping. He's seen his clothes be changed hundreds upon hundreds of times.

NOPE... this is lazy and negligent. He knew he was supposed to change him and he just didn't want to do it. NO excuse. NONE... no matter how late he was ... no matter how much he was behind in the morning... there is NOTHING he was going to that was more important than cleaning his child into fresh clothes and a fresh diaper.
MarinaVanessa 07:13 AM 11-09-2010
This is too funny ... dads are awsome . The baby that I'm delivering this month is going to be my fiance's first child although I do have my own 5yo daughter that lives with us and we've already been together 4 years and she's lived with us the whole time. He also has 4 nephews that are ALWAYS here and have always been here visiting, staying the night etc. since they've been born. Well you would think with all of that experience he'd have it together ... nope lol.

Once he called me from a friends house because he was watching his 1yo nephew and he pooped his diaper. Well he forgot the diaper bag so I had to drive to the next city over to drop it off and realized that they had a small boy the same age that he could have borrowed a diaper from but didn't. Then he freaked out because it was poo and I did the changing .

On Monday I forgot to lay out my DD clothes out and my fiance picked out clothes for her. I had to send her back upstairs to change because she looked like a sesame street thug (brown tank top with a rhinestone pony, very baggy bright pink pants, yellow socks, light pink dress shoes, a baggy purple jacket, a purple beanie and gloves).

Men are just so wonderful aren't they? He's great with the kids and they're in good hands but sometimes you wonder don't you .
JenNJ 09:09 AM 11-09-2010
I'm with Nannyde here. An overnight diaper and dirty clothes is negligence. I bet that dad had time to use the bathroom, clean himself, and wear fresh clothes. A childs needs need to come FIRST. Its WRONG and I also would be furious for that child. I wouldn't accept that child into care bc clearly his basic needs were ignored and needed to be taken care of BEFORE coming to care. Who is to say that child ate at all? He wasn't cleaned or changed so I'd bet he wasn't fed either. Not funny - WRONG.
QualiTcare 09:17 AM 11-09-2010
Nope

Not changing a childs night diaper. Leaving a baby in clothes from the day before... that's NOT THE SAME as putting on a pair of pants backwards. No comparison. One is so easy to do .... one is complete negligence.

That Dad has been a father for THIRTEEN months. That Dad has seen his baby be changed when he got out of bed HUNDREDS of times from nap sleeping and night sleeping. He's seen his clothes be changed hundreds upon hundreds of times.

NOPE... this is lazy and negligent. He knew he was supposed to change him and he just didn't want to do it. NO excuse. NONE... no matter how late he was ... no matter how much he was behind in the morning... there is NOTHING he was going to that was more important than cleaning his child into fresh clothes and a fresh diaper.
i have to agree. i can see the humor in the food thing, but a dirty diaper/clothes.....i don't see it.

i don't think my husband had ever seen a diaper before i had my son - he couldn't even stand kids - and even he had enough sense to keep his diapers/clothes clean. it's instinct (not just motherly) to keep your own child clean and comfortable. even if he had the same clothes on - the diaper? no excuse.
nannyde 09:25 AM 11-09-2010
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Cut the poor guy some slack; relax and see the humor in it!
Yes and THAT'S exactlly the way the Dad wants you to feel. He brought YOU that kid who hadn't even had his overnight diaper changed and was in the same clothes from the day before.

He wants you to think it's silly ole newbie rookie Dad. If you think THAT then he doesn't have to be organized, spend time with his kid, think thru what he needs to do, get up in time to do it, have the supplies on hand etc.

He got YOU to do it.

Yes... that's how it works.

You got got and you don't even know it.
kitkat 09:30 AM 11-09-2010
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Aw, see, that's awfully harsh. Cut the poor guy some slack; relax and see the humor in it! Most dads just don't pay attention to details the way moms/women do. He's not used to being a full-time single dad and this is only day 2! I have clean clothes for him; he usually comes in jammies, that's not unusual--it's just amusing. He has clean diapers and food. I"m not giving him the prunes (duh, lol) but am giving him plenty of stuff he CAN have. He's not the only kid I have that doesn't spend much time with parents in the morning...and honestly, how many do? I know that when I was going to University full-time, when I had early classes and had to drop DD off with my mom, I'd let her sleep until the last possible minute before I left because sleep is important.

Sure, if this was every day, it wouldn't be okay. But it's ONE DAY out of SEVEN MONTHS of my watching him!
I completely agree! I'm glad you are able to cut dcd some slack. And I'm sure dcm is very appreciative.
laundrymom 09:44 AM 11-09-2010
Ill never forget one weekend I went to chicago with my mom for a pet expo. (she owns a pet store). I left my daughter now 12,.. with my husband,... lol. for friday sat and until late sun night. She was just over a year,.. barely 13 mo. sat around noon my neighbor calls me CRACKING UP!!! I guess he showed up at her house with a very messy haired little one begging her NOT to tell, NOT to say anything and just help make her pretty. lol then that night at bath my sweet baby got ahold of the big powder bottle he had left on the floor. fling fling fling,.. ALL over the bathroom, walls, curtains, med cabinet, hardwood floor,..... etc. he gave her a bowl of cheerios and put her in a pack and play in the kitchen so he could hear her while he cleaned it up and then fix supper while she was snacking,... . when he was done with the powder he turned to the kitchen to see her eating cheetos (his afternoon snack, lol) and spaghetti (duh jason, never put the pack and play close enough to the table where she can grab the container I left for you with spaghetti in it!!! !!!!) He had spaghetti and cheetos covering the baby, the crib and by the time he got her cleaned up himself. lol... I got home late sunday night to find KFC (she could eat mashed potatoes and mac and cheese) and applesauce dishes. Poor guy said,...
YOU JUST DONT UNDERSTAND HOW FAST SHE IS AT GETTING INTO THINGS!!! IT IS ALMOST LIKE YOU TAUGHT HER WHAT TO DO!!!!

rofl,.. this was followed by a fast hug and a promise to go buy a new pack and play for daycare,.. as long as I waited a little while until I went away again. lol
nannyde 10:20 AM 11-09-2010
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Ill never forget one weekend I went to chicago with my mom for a pet expo. (she owns a pet store). I left my daughter now 12,.. with my husband,... lol. for friday sat and until late sun night. She was just over a year,.. barely 13 mo. sat around noon my neighbor calls me CRACKING UP!!! I guess he showed up at her house with a very messy haired little one begging her NOT to tell, NOT to say anything and just help make her pretty. lol then that night at bath my sweet baby got ahold of the big powder bottle he had left on the floor. fling fling fling,.. ALL over the bathroom, walls, curtains, med cabinet, hardwood floor,..... etc. he gave her a bowl of cheerios and put her in a pack and play in the kitchen so he could hear her while he cleaned it up and then fix supper while she was snacking,... . when he was done with the powder he turned to the kitchen to see her eating cheetos (his afternoon snack, lol) and spaghetti (duh jason, never put the pack and play close enough to the table where she can grab the container I left for you with spaghetti in it!!! !!!!) He had spaghetti and cheetos covering the baby, the crib and by the time he got her cleaned up himself. lol... I got home late sunday night to find KFC (she could eat mashed potatoes and mac and cheese) and applesauce dishes. Poor guy said,...
YOU JUST DONT UNDERSTAND HOW FAST SHE IS AT GETTING INTO THINGS!!! IT IS ALMOST LIKE YOU TAUGHT HER WHAT TO DO!!!!

rofl,.. this was followed by a fast hug and a promise to go buy a new pack and play for daycare,.. as long as I waited a little while until I went away again. lol
LOL

Yes THIS is rookie parent stuff for sure. Not changing an overnight diaper and not changing a child's clothes from the day before? NOT the same thing.
QualiTcare 10:31 AM 11-09-2010
If Men Got Pregnant

Maternity leave would last two years... with full pay.

There would be a cure for stretch marks.

Natural childbirth would become obsolete.

Morning sickness would rank as the nation's #1 health problem.

All methods of birth control would be 100% effective.

Children would be kept in the hospital until toilet trained.

Men would be eager to talk about commitment.

They wouldn't think twins were so cute.

Sons would have to be home from dates by 10:00 PM

Briefcases would be used as diaper bags.

Paternity suits would be a fashion line of clothes.

They'd stay in bed during the entire pregnancy.

Restaurants would include ice cream and pickles as main entrees.

Women would rule the world!!
Author unknown
Unregistered 11:04 AM 11-09-2010
Hmmm...my husband was an only child, he didn't have any cousins nearby and never babysat or anything of that nature...and yet he KNEW that a child needed to be changed in the morning and he did it...and it was my child from a previous marriage. Although once he did put the diaper on backward!

Your guy is playing the "dumb Dad" card!
Michael 07:29 PM 11-09-2010
I am also a dad. I would think he should know better. He needs to help out his wife more ofter it appears.
countrymom 10:15 AM 11-10-2010

your comment is a bit rude, obviously you are either not married or have children because all men are like this, even my own dh. And it has nothing to do with laziness its just the way he is, and it always makes a good story. And my children have a good laugh when dad had to watch them, because dad can only cook 2 meals, doesn't know how to do laundry, can't do hair and is very unorganized but my kids love it and have a good time with dad. Those are the memories children are going to remember, not the ones where dad dressed them prim and proper.
Crystal 12:24 PM 11-10-2010
If this was a one time thing, I wouldn't really give it another thought. Dad could have been running late or, perhaps, be overwhelmed with having to be the "homemaker" by himself for a couple of days.

If it were to become a pattern, and every time dad dropped off the child was in this condition, then I'd bring it up to him and say "hey, I noticed (dck) has been coming in a wet diaper in the mornings. I am really busy at drop off time, so I'd appreciate it if you would be sure to put a fresh diaper on him before you bring him"
SilverSabre25 02:10 PM 11-10-2010
Yep it was totally a one-time thing. This morning--DCBs last day here this week--he was clean, wearing PJs, dry diaper, extra diapers in the diaper bag, reasonable food, DCD got it together this time, lol. Although, amusingly, the outfit he sent was similar to yesterdays (one of the long-legged, long-sleeved romper suit things) and pants. I laughed again, b/c DCD obviously mistook it for a onesie and thought it needed pants.
missnikki 02:21 PM 11-10-2010
Yes Crystal, I agree. More than likely, he just doesn't have the same outlook as Nannyde (which is a reasonable one) and needs to be told. After that, there is no excuse to let it happen again.

Kinda like I have to tell my DH to stop throwing socks at the dog when he takes them off, because I find them under the couch all chewed up; or to please not pour out the oil and fat from the pan into the sink, since he is a modest-level plumber at best...or that I wish I didn't have to find out the hard way that there is no more toiletpaper in the bathroom and holler for help. Common sense to me, not so obvious to a guy.
Now he would say I should know that the tires are low when the car pulls to one side,. or that this credit card gets the miles but that one has a better interest rate so use this for that and that for this...
It's all relative. Everyone has their strengths. Parenting is not inherent in all of us, and it is a blessing to associate with those of us who know better and can help offer suggestions. I would just TELL him. And then laugh.
Tags:bad parent, dad
Reply Up