Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My Child Care Provider is Human!?! Whaaaaaat!?!?!
KristinsHomeCC 05:34 PM 03-13-2017
FUMING OUT THE EARS!

I've put myself on the back burner for 2.5 years since opening my childcare. Now my health is taking a hit. I needed 2 emergency root canals this week and had to close today after a weekend of hell. The one root canal took 2.5 hrs so my dentist wanted to schedule me within 7 days to do the other while I was on the antibiotics. I scheduled it for Wed, close at 12 to be at my appt by 1.

It is spring break and all of my DCKs have siblings in elementary school. Out of all weeks this week would be the week for this to happen.

DCM gives me total crap saying I need to have a back up system because "this is ridiculous". I have a substitute that isn't even the state this week. I have it in my policy to have a back up incase I am to fall ill because there will be no kids in my home if that happens.

I am in my emotions and spilled to DCM how Im a one woman show, I work 6am to 6pm on the dot and get no breaks, weekends obviously arent the best for doctors appointments. I told her my teeth are becoming an emergency because of how little Ive been going - due to putting parents first. I told her no more, sorry! She replies "it is what it is."

Sometimes I am seriously over daycare. God forbid Im not around 1.5 days to watch your child, while you have days off/half days/lunch breaks to do whatever the heck you need to do during.

Rant OVER! Happy freakin' Monday!
dreamer 06:03 PM 03-13-2017
Insane! It drives me nuts how easy it is for people to forget that the ones they rely on are people too, with their own lives. Life happens, why is that so hard for some people to understand? Unbelievable.
sahm1225 06:19 PM 03-13-2017

Hugs to you.
What a mean dcm. I would be livid. And debating replacing them. I would close the whole day Wednesday, that way you can go get a root canal without the stress of daycare for the day.

Once things settle down, it may be time to reconsider your business relationship with that dcm. If you can't get over how selfish she was, then its time to let them go and get a new dcf that will appreciate you
Mom2Two 06:30 PM 03-13-2017
Wow, not nice!

Are you for sure going to quit? Is there any way you can make this work for you going forward? 12 hour day is so long--you really do need some time to get your teeth checked more often and stuff like that.

Probably not what you want to hear right now...but we've had good luck with the highest quality mouthwash to prevent cavities. DH doesn't floss and I think he's been our dentist's main source of income, but the "Repair and Protect" type of mouthwash that rebuilds enamel has been really helpful--and far less expensive.
Leigh 06:31 PM 03-13-2017
Originally Posted by KristinsHomeCC:
FUMING OUT THE EARS!

I've put myself on the back burner for 2.5 years since opening my childcare. Now my health is taking a hit. I needed 2 emergency root canals this week and had to close today after a weekend of hell. The one root canal took 2.5 hrs so my dentist wanted to schedule me within 7 days to do the other while I was on the antibiotics. I scheduled it for Wed, close at 12 to be at my appt by 1.

It is spring break and all of my DCKs have siblings in elementary school. Out of all weeks this week would be the week for this to happen.

DCM gives me total crap saying I need to have a back up system because "this is ridiculous". I have a substitute that isn't even the state this week. I have it in my policy to have a back up incase I am to fall ill because there will be no kids in my home if that happens.

I am in my emotions and spilled to DCM how Im a one woman show, I work 6am to 6pm on the dot and get no breaks, weekends obviously arent the best for doctors appointments. I told her my teeth are becoming an emergency because of how little Ive been going - due to putting parents first. I told her no more, sorry! She replies "it is what it is."

Sometimes I am seriously over daycare. God forbid Im not around 1.5 days to watch your child, while you have days off/half days/lunch breaks to do whatever the heck you need to do during.

Rant OVER! Happy freakin' Monday!
That takes serious guts for her to hassle you over needing surgery! You are obviously MUCH more level headed than I. I'd have told her to find a new childcare starting now.
Mike 06:35 PM 03-13-2017
But you're running a serious business providing 5 days a week of service. Surely it's YOUR job to make sure there is a backup plan if you're not available.

Heaven forbid if some other business were to close for a day for ANY reason. Like school closing on a bad weather day. A store closing if the city has a power outage. A one man (or woman) local retail store closing for a day if he/she is sick. They will surely have a backup plan, right?
But they do. They close.

Your contract does say that you GUARANTEE service every Mon to Fri, no matter what, right?
KristinsHomeCC 07:03 PM 03-13-2017
You guys make me feel so much better and a little less crazy
Josiegirl 02:30 AM 03-14-2017
First off, wishing you THE best of luck getting your teeth fixed!! It sounds like it definitely is time to get the work done and put yourself first. Providers don't seem to do it nearly enough. Most other jobs allow you to take an hour here or there to go to drs. appts., etc. And have back-up?? That's not as easy as it sounds! I don't know anyone who wants to jump through the hoops they'd have to, to fill in for a few hours, stay on call just in case we need them. And to me, I feel that's the parents' responsibility when they choose in home care. They know what they're getting as opposed to a center. Unless you have floating subs in your area it's very difficult to find coverage, not to mention the added liability.
Second, cut them loose. It's not worth it. Find yourself a more compassionate understanding dcf who appreciates you and is prepared for closings like yours. And omg, cut those hours down!! You're working yourself into health problems. We all know daycare translates into many more hours than 'just' the ones that we're open.

Again, good luck with everything.
DaveA 04:04 AM 03-14-2017
First and foremost- take care of you. Good luck on the other surgery and recuperation.

As for DCM- she's shown what she thinks of you and your business. Replace ASAP.
Mad_Pistachio 04:54 AM 03-14-2017
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
I would close the whole day Wednesday, that way you can go get a root canal without the stress of daycare for the day.
this. you really don't need to work at all on the day of your root canal.
Blackcat31 05:12 AM 03-14-2017
I'm sorry that you were treated so poorly by this parent.

Imagine what it would be like if the level of care we provided their child was the same as what is shown to us by the parent....

Thankfully, as providers we are much more concerned about the well-being of others so I doubt any one of us could actually do that but still makes you wonder what parents are (or aren't) thinking when they are so rude.

I also agree with SAHM1225 and think you should close for the entire day verse just part of it.

Everyone deserves a stress free day!
KristinsHomeCC 07:43 AM 03-14-2017
So after a long night of huffing and puffing about this situation, I decided it may be best fo DCM to find other arrangements. She is under childcare assistance and my only one on it. I have to carry a specific insurance to be even able to take her. I've bent over backwards for this mom out of all the parents, she should be the last one giving me any sort of guilt. Ive had DCK (16 months) since she was 4m old and it's going to break my heart but you all are right - not fair to treat me that way! It isn't the first time either, just the most blunt. She's normally passive aggressive about holidays and such -- it really is always something.

Heres the kicker -DCM didnt have to go into work until 1130 today, DCG dropped off by 11. Maaaan - must be nice to have that morning off!!!!
Baby Beluga 08:19 AM 03-14-2017
good luck at your appointment. And I agree with others - close all of Wednesday!
JackandJill 08:38 AM 03-14-2017
Originally Posted by KristinsHomeCC:
So after a long night of huffing and puffing about this situation, I decided it may be best fo DCM to find other arrangements. She is under childcare assistance and my only one on it. I have to carry a specific insurance to be even able to take her. I've bent over backwards for this mom out of all the parents, she should be the last one giving me any sort of guilt. Ive had DCK (16 months) since she was 4m old and it's going to break my heart but you all are right - not fair to treat me that way! It isn't the first time either, just the most blunt. She's normally passive aggressive about holidays and such -- it really is always something.

Heres the kicker -DCM didnt have to go into work until 1130 today, DCG dropped off by 11. Maaaan - must be nice to have that morning off!!!!
Sorry this mom was so rude! I am glad to see you will be moving her along!

I think all of us at some point have had "this parent", but honestly, they are a blessing in disguise! They show us how no one values what we do, especially with all the extras, the way we assume they would.

Its such a crumby lesson to learn, but it helps build that backbone and teaches us to serve ourselves and our families first.

Good luck with the surgery
Ariana 09:54 AM 03-14-2017
Originally Posted by DaveA:
First and foremost- take care of you. Good luck on the other surgery and recuperation.

As for DCM- she's shown what she thinks of you and your business. Replace ASAP.
THIS

If a DCM ever said that to me she would be scared to even set foot on my doorstep again!! The fact that you didn't say anything shows a tremendous amount of restraint!

I hope this is a lesson learned about how we should never go out of our way for any of the families in our care unless it is convenient for us. Most of them would turn on us in a moments notice!

Take care of yourself please!!
hwichlaz 08:43 PM 03-16-2017
I'd get to work replacing that one toot sweet. And give "it is what it is" as the reason.
Tags:parents - don't appreciate, substitute
Reply Up