Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Maybe I’m Experiencing Burnout
Unregistered 07:07 PM 05-16-2016
My Husband thinks that I should suck it up and stop taking things so personal. I notice I am becoming more and more frustrated with dcp. At the beginning of the year I emailed my dcp all my holidays, personal days, and vacation. In the email it states which days are paid and which days are not. I also printed out a hand out with all of the same information and gave it to each parent. When a new family enrolls I go over all of the information and let them know which days are paid and which days are not plus I give them a printed copy. In my entrance I have the same print out posted plus I have a dry erase board calendar. I write out for the month which days I am close for the month. Leading up to the days I remind parents yeah I'm doing such and such on the day I'm close. With all that being said I still have parents clueless to when I am close and what days they are suppose to pay for. My husband says that I provide a service and its my job to have good customer service because they have other options and could send their kids to another daycare. He also said they're parents and probably have a lot going on in their lives. My response is Heck who doesn't! I'm a parent too. I have a problem with you texting/calling me during the middle of the day while I'm trying to look after multiple kids asking me questions I've provided to you in numerous ways. My second issue is I use an app thats a daily report. I put a lot of work into trying to inform parents what the kids did that day, pictures of them, what supplies they need, etc. I've sent emails to parents on how to set up the app plus provided a printed handout step by step on how to set up the free app. Certain parents still have not set up their account but at pick up want to know how did they do? or what they did? how long did they sleep for? what supplies they may need? I want to yell "IF YOU WOULD SET UP THE APP YOU WOULD ALREADY KNOW THESE THINGS". I know these things may seem small but theres other things also. Heres my thing I work long hours and though this job is rewarding some days it can be really stressful. When its time for pick up I want it to be as quick and smooth as possible. I don't want to chat about things that are accessible to you but you chose not to put the effort into logging in or looking up at a calendar. I understand I provide a service. I actually provide really good customer service. I just hate the fact that not only do I have to hold my dck hands through everything but I also have to hold their parents hands too. Maybe its me, Maybe I'm just due for a vacation.
Play Care 02:59 AM 05-17-2016
I find I get the same way when I am due for a day off. Can you take an unplanned day in the coming weeks just for you?

And, the next time your husband complains about his job, tell him to shut it and just deal.
In all seriousness, I find I have to tell my husband "I'm not looking for advice, I just need to get this out," when I have a complaint. Because otherwise he tries to "fix" things.
JackandJill 05:34 AM 05-17-2016
I agree with Play Care, I always feel at my wits end right before some time off. If you can, I would take a personal/sick day to relax!

I have this issue with parents, too. I felt like I was all but arranging their back up care before my vacation days. This year I completely stopped. They get my days closed in the contract January 1st, and then that's it. Then a "have a great week next week, I'll see you on the (insert my next day back), don't forget to have a post dated check for me at pick up today!" on my last day before vacation.

Takes all the stress and pressure off of you, and they will only do it once before they start taking responsibility for themselves!

Can you make the daily notes app mandatory? Send home a notice saying " due to the high activity at pick up, I will now require any parent wanting a daily update to download the app." or something like that. Then the next time they ask at pick up give them a quick synopsis and say please make sure you have the app for details like naps, feedings etc.
Blackcat31 06:39 AM 05-17-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
My Husband thinks that I should suck it up and stop taking things so personal. I notice I am becoming more and more frustrated with dcp. At the beginning of the year I emailed my dcp all my holidays, personal days, and vacation. In the email it states which days are paid and which days are not. I also printed out a hand out with all of the same information and gave it to each parent. When a new family enrolls I go over all of the information and let them know which days are paid and which days are not plus I give them a printed copy. In my entrance I have the same print out posted plus I have a dry erase board calendar. I write out for the month which days I am close for the month. Leading up to the days I remind parents yeah I'm doing such and such on the day I'm close. With all that being said I still have parents clueless to when I am close and what days they are suppose to pay for. My husband says that I provide a service and its my job to have good customer service because they have other options and could send their kids to another daycare. He also said they're parents and probably have a lot going on in their lives. My response is Heck who doesn't! I'm a parent too. I have a problem with you texting/calling me during the middle of the day while I'm trying to look after multiple kids asking me questions I've provided to you in numerous ways. My second issue is I use an app thats a daily report. I put a lot of work into trying to inform parents what the kids did that day, pictures of them, what supplies they need, etc. I've sent emails to parents on how to set up the app plus provided a printed handout step by step on how to set up the free app. Certain parents still have not set up their account but at pick up want to know how did they do? or what they did? how long did they sleep for? what supplies they may need? I want to yell "IF YOU WOULD SET UP THE APP YOU WOULD ALREADY KNOW THESE THINGS". I know these things may seem small but theres other things also. Heres my thing I work long hours and though this job is rewarding some days it can be really stressful. When its time for pick up I want it to be as quick and smooth as possible. I don't want to chat about things that are accessible to you but you chose not to put the effort into logging in or looking up at a calendar. I understand I provide a service. I actually provide really good customer service. I just hate the fact that not only do I have to hold my dck hands through everything but I also have to hold their parents hands too. Maybe its me, Maybe I'm just due for a vacation.
You are making it easy for parents to not be responsible.

Stop making it easy.

If a parent asks how a child's day was say "It's been posted on the app." and smile. DON'T just automatically tell them when the information is already readily available to them. That's why they continue to ask...because it's easier than doing it themselves.

If a parent asks about paid days off or closed days say "It's all listed in your handbooks as well as the notice sent home two days ago." Rinse and repeat.

What has kept me sane and loving my job for the last 2.5 decades is having CLEAR lines as to WHO'S responsibility certain things are. If something is a parent's responsibility, let them deal with it.

Have policies and guidelines that have consequences that affect the parents if they don't follow through....and enforce them every time.

You will feel less stressed and ore balanced if you stop doing all the work on your end and on the parent's end.

I don't allow parents to run my business so I don't parent parents.
Unregistered 06:53 AM 05-17-2016
I do have a 3 day weekend coming up for The holiday and a vacation in June. I'm not gonna lie I got pissed at my husband for his nonchalant attitude. I wanted to make sure I wasn't in the wrong and taking things personal before I start cutting them off and referring them to the information they have access to. Thank you always for the great advice.
Tags:burnout
Reply Up