Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Night Time Potty Training
MomBoss 06:41 AM 12-21-2017
Any tips to keep child from peeing the bed at night?
Ive heard to wake them up a couple times during the night and have them go to the bathroom, but I dont see how thats beneficial/progressive if the child doesnt wake up on their own to do it themselves.
Is there a certain age they should be able to hold it at night?
Jupadia 06:51 AM 12-21-2017
My guy at about 3.5 started staying dry at night. So we took off the pull up and just went with it. He has done great with it only eating the bed a hand full of times.
Poop is another story but he dose not do that at night.

I think the main thing is to wait till they are dry in the morning mos days, limit drinks before bed, and make sure they at least try to pee before going to bed. I would have never woken him up to go I don't think it works well.
Ariana 09:10 AM 12-21-2017
I used incontinance pads under the sheets (Walmart in the medical section) and just took the pullup off. Towels would work too. I never woke either of my kids and they both get up to pee with no accidents.

Some people cut liquids off a few hours before bed too but I never did that.
kitkat 09:42 AM 12-21-2017
Please remember that every kiddo is different and will night time train when their body is ready. DS1 was 6 when he could finally stay dry. DD was 3. DS2 is almost 7 and is consistently wet. Some kids will use a pull up as a diaper (DCM caught DCB doing that), but some kids physically can't hold it or wake up during the night to go to the bathroom.

My advice is to not stress if night time dryness is not happening when you think it should. If accidents are frequently happening at night during sleep, then go back to pull ups/diaper and try again later.
Mike 01:16 PM 12-21-2017
I knew a couple kids who couldn't control their bladder at night time until they were 9 and 10. One was only having accidents a couple times a week until a big stressor change, then she was pretty much nightly for a long time.

I used to babysit one who had accidents at 7 and whenever it was for the night, I just covered the bed with a sheet of plastic, covered with a couple beach towels, then the bed sheet. She wore pull-ups at home, not my place, and had less accidents at my place than at home.
happymom 01:59 PM 12-21-2017
For us being in undies made no difference. We moved my oldest from diapers to undies both day and night at the same time. While he was doing great during the day; nights were another story!

He honestly wet the bed every single day for about a year. I stuck it out when I should have put him in pull ups. FINALLY, when he was 3.5 and my second baby was about to be born, I put him back in pull ups and a month later he was dry every day.

With my younger baby, I'm just waiting it out. He's dry about 50% of the time in the morning. Occasionally he will wake up to go potty in the night (with my help) ... and that contributes to some of his dry mornings.

I don't think you can night train most kids...just wait it out and talk to his doctor if you are concerned.
racemom 09:22 PM 12-21-2017
My son was 7 before he stayed dry consistently all night. We just used pull ups and called them nighttime underwear. No big deal, he was a sound sleeper and never woke up to go.
Ariana 10:57 PM 12-21-2017
Yes I should add that if they are wetting every night then use pullups. If they are waking dry consistantly, which mine were, I switched to undies. It usually takes longer to night train.
e.j. 11:17 AM 12-22-2017
Originally Posted by kitkat:
Please remember that every kiddo is different and will night time train when their body is ready. DS1 was 6 when he could finally stay dry. DD was 3. DS2 is almost 7 and is consistently wet. Some kids will use a pull up as a diaper (DCM caught DCB doing that), but some kids physically can't hold it or wake up during the night to go to the bathroom.

My advice is to not stress if night time dryness is not happening when you think it should. If accidents are frequently happening at night during sleep, then go back to pull ups/diaper and try again later.
Kids definitely have their own time frame. My ds wet the bed until he was 7 or 8. We were told to wake him up before we went to bed to have him pee and to limit his liquid intake after dinner. We were also advised to get one of those bed-wetter alarms that go off when the child start to wet. We tried it all. Nothing but time and maturation seemed to help.

My dd, on the other hand, was 2 when she announced she was done with diapers. Having gone through the bed wetting for so long with my son, I told her, "No, you're not. Not yet." She came downstairs the next day and told me she had taken her diaper off that night before she went to sleep. She had stayed dry all night. She had one accident a few nights later but was good to go after that.

Incontinence pads definitely help. One of my dc moms brought some in to use at nap time when her dd was wetting during nap time. I wish I had thought to use them when my ds was wetting the bed every night. They might have saved my sanity!
hwichlaz 01:02 PM 12-22-2017
I woke mine up and took her pee before I went to bed every night, then put a pull up on her. Otherwise, she’d have peed through the pull up and soaked her blankets.
Reply Up