Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Not a Fun Game
gumdrops 06:07 AM 06-15-2018
DCB, 18 months, will not let me lead him by holding his hand. As soon as I hold his hand, he pulls away and loses his balance on purpose. He's not trying to pull his hand away, he'll hold my hand, keep his feet planted, extend his arm and shift his body weight, or move his feet slowly but lunges his body forward. I hope that makes sense. He's doing it for fun and not because he doesn't want to hold my hand. I quickly but gently lower him to the ground because I worry about little elbows getting dislocated and he rolls around on the floor laughing. If I tell him to get up, he slowly starts crawling while laughing and making a game out of it. If I try to stand him back up, he won't stand and falls to the floor laughing again. He is a "big boy" so carrying him where I need him to go is exhausting. Any suggestions?
storybookending 06:14 AM 06-15-2018
Originally Posted by gumdrops:
DCB, 18 months, will not let me lead him by holding his hand. As soon as I hold his hand, he pulls away and loses his balance on purpose. He's not trying to pull his hand away, he'll hold my hand, keep his feet planted, extend his arm and shift his body weight, or move his feet slowly but lunges his body forward. I hope that makes sense. He's doing it for fun and not because he doesn't want to hold my hand. I quickly but gently lower him to the ground because I worry about little elbows getting dislocated and he rolls around on the floor laughing. If I tell him to get up, he slowly starts crawling while laughing and making a game out of it. If I try to stand him back up, he won't stand and falls to the floor laughing again. He is a "big boy" so carrying him where I need him to go is exhausting. Any suggestions?
Is this outside or somewhere where he needs his hand held for safety? If so you could use one of those backpack leashes. If not he probably just wants his independence and if so just let him walk himself. I don’t over coddle kids, I never hold my 18 month olds hand.
gumdrops 06:40 AM 06-15-2018
It's just to get him to the bathroom to change his diaper or to his bed for nap. If I don't take him by the hand or carry him, he won't go where I need him to. Or it will take us 20 min to get 20 steps. So maybe it's more of a discipline issue! I haven't had this issue with any of my other littles over the years.
Jupadia 07:43 AM 06-15-2018
At 18 months some kids are just starting walking on their own. This sounds like the case here that this little one is just a late Walker and is not comfortable on their own. For the time being I'd either carry it times an issue or help them walking. My own youngest only began walking at 17 months and started walking to washroom for changes on own regularly at about 19 or 20 months.
gumdrops 09:26 AM 06-15-2018
Originally Posted by Jupadia:
At 18 months some kids are just starting walking on their own. This sounds like the case here that this little one is just a late Walker and is not comfortable on their own. For the time being I'd either carry it times an issue or help them walking. My own youngest only began walking at 17 months and started walking to washroom for changes on own regularly at about 19 or 20 months.
Problem is, he's been walking for 7-8 months! He does this as a game, but does not want to follow directions when told "lets go change your diaper" or "come on, it's nap time!" So the only way to get him there is to guide him by holding his hand, which only works 1 out of 20 times or carrying him.
Josiegirl 09:32 AM 06-15-2018
Originally Posted by gumdrops:
Problem is, he's been walking for 7-8 months! He does this as a game, but does not want to follow directions when told "lets go change your diaper" or "come on, it's nap time!" So the only way to get him there is to guide him by holding his hand, which only works 1 out of 20 times or carrying him.
That game is probably the most fun thing about getting his diaper changed or laying down for a nap. Do you have to lead him everywhere else or does he do okay on his own? I always pick them up and carry them because they just don't listen that well at that age. Or at age 2. Or 3. Or 4. And definitely not 5.
Indoorvoice 08:12 AM 06-16-2018
My dcb 15mo does this exact thing. He seems to be testing out his power here a lot and seeing what I will and won't put up with. He also doesn't really like to move his body much and prefers to sit in one spot as long as possible so I have started working with him on moving himself places since he is capable and has also demonstrated that he knows how to follow simple directions. When he refuses to walk when I ask him, I help stand back up and gently hold him under each armpit so he can't dump himself on the ground. I tell him I need you to walk with me, I won't let you fall and wait with my hands under his armpits so he can't fall until he puts his own feet on the ground. Once he walks on his own I walk behind him and guide his back instead of hand holding. If he starts going limp noodle I put my hands back under his arms. It's time consuming but he did learn he needs to walk himself now and I rarely need to help now. Funny thing is, his mom and I are friends and I went to his house yesterday and wouldn't you know she carried him EVERYWHERE. I did not see him take one step. He is BIG too. Weighs more than my 2yo.i don't know how she does it.
Tags:holding hands, safety issues
Reply Up