Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>At What Age--Pt ?
DCBlessings27 03:39 PM 03-07-2012
I have a 3yo girl who has been potty trained for a year. At what age should she be able to wipe herself? The mom expects me to wipe her. My other 3yo doesn't have problems wiping.

I've only been doing daycare for 2 years, so I haven't ever really dealt much with potty training.
daycare 03:43 PM 03-07-2012
Originally Posted by katieica:
I have a 3yo girl who has been potty trained for a year. At what age should she be able to wipe herself? The mom expects me to wipe her. My other 3yo doesn't have problems wiping.

I've only been doing daycare for 2 years, so I haven't ever really dealt much with potty training.
I still wipe the butts of some 4 year olds. It takes time and it's not always an easy task for the little ones. I make them try to wipe first and if they are still having issues, then I will help. BUT I will not do it for them first.

the little girl PT for one year and still has issues, is because mommy does it for her. I would tell mom that she needs to try to do it herself first and then you will help her. I had a mom like this too.
Kaddidle Care 05:11 PM 03-07-2012
I've helped kids as old as 4-5 if they are having a problem but like daycare said, they must at least try to do it themselves first.

IMHO by Kindy, they had better know how to take care of themselves.

My son had a friend who's Mom cleaned him up still at the age of 9. I was like "You're kidding!" That's NUTS!
jenny31052 10:46 PM 03-07-2012
I have an almost 4 years old and a 5 years old in care that asked me to wipe them every single time they went potty. They didn't even try to do it themselves...

So the first week I helped them, then I used the famous motivational stickers to encourage them to clean themselves. I showed them how to do it, and now they want that sticker so bad that I haven't had to wipe a booty in 2 months.

I still offer help if needed...
spud912 06:06 AM 03-08-2012
I try to teach children to wipe themselves as soon as possible. Sometimes it takes awhile for them to catch on, but they eventually do. Like others, I tell them how to do it and if I don't think they did a sufficient job then I will do one final swipe.

I hate wiping potty trained children, though. I know, it's weird, but I just think part of being potty trained is doing everything involved. If I have to participate (like wiping, helping with clothes, reminding, etc), it's not completely potty trained in my mind.

As far as addressing it with parents, I do the same positive reinforcement that I do with the children. I will tell them "I'm so proud of ***xx, she wiped all by herself today!! She is so proud of herself for being a big girl!" With the kids, I don't give rewards or anything, I just have them do it: "Ok, time to wipe, here's your tissue. Good job!!"
Angelwings36 06:09 AM 03-08-2012
As soon as the child is potty trained I teach them to wipe themselves along with re-dressing, washing hands, etc.. Although I would have this child try to wipe himself I would always check to make sure he did a good job. You can get flushable wet wipes too which make it more successful for young ones to wipe themselves.
cheerfuldom 06:10 AM 03-08-2012
You'll have to teach and supervise her for awhile till you know she can do it.
MrsB 06:28 AM 03-08-2012
I have them try first and then help if they missed a little. I show them how much toilet paper to use and the rest. It doesnt really bother me though.

My own 6yr DD still has issues every once in ahile. For that matter, sometimes from the looks of my 10yr old DS underwear, I need to retrain him too!
Tags:age appropriate, age appropriate - part time, part time
Reply Up