Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Who's in Trouble?
SilverSabre25 07:32 AM 02-06-2014
5 year old tells 2.5 year old to throw a toy car to him 3/4 of the way across the room. 2.5 year old complies. Who's in trouble?
Blackcat31 07:34 AM 02-06-2014
Both.

Older kid knows better.

Younger kid does too.

BOTH are guilty for different reasons.
Luna 07:37 AM 02-06-2014
I agree with both.
Second Home 07:38 AM 02-06-2014
Yup , both .
SilverSabre25 07:59 AM 02-06-2014
Thank you! Both did get in trouble, even before I asked. I was just curious what you guys thought. The 5 year old was NOT happy that he got to sit in a time out when he wasn't the one who threw the toy as well as a lecture about "you are just as much wrong for telling someone else to break a rule as the other person is for breaking it". The 2.5 got a verbal reminder and a brief, appropriate discussion of "just because 5 says you can, doesn't make it okay"

And yeah, 5 had the harsher consequence because setting a bad example for the littler kids is a big issue we have right now.
Blackcat31 08:00 AM 02-06-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Thank you! Both did get in trouble, even before I asked. I was just curious what you guys thought. The 5 year old was NOT happy that he got to sit in a time out when he wasn't the one who threw the toy as well as a lecture about "you are just as much wrong for telling someone else to break a rule as the other person is for breaking it". The 2.5 got a verbal reminder and a brief, appropriate discussion of "just because 5 says you can, doesn't make it okay"

And yeah, 5 had the harsher consequence because setting a bad example for the littler kids is a big issue we have right now.
PERSONAL responsibility.

Great lesson!!!!!!
Cat Herder 08:03 AM 02-06-2014

Perfect. These are the lessons only mixed age care can offer.
TwinKristi 08:09 AM 02-06-2014
Absolutely both but more so the 5yr old who knows better. I had a cousin set and the 5-6yr old would tell the 3yr old to do stuff instead of him doing it thinking he wouldn't get in trouble! Ugh!
JenNJ 08:56 AM 02-06-2014
Both. The five year old would get a serous talking to over this behavior. It is not ok to lead others into trouble.
daycarediva 10:45 AM 02-06-2014
I agree and would have handled it the same way.
Cradle2crayons 10:55 AM 02-06-2014
5 year old tells 2.5 year old to throw a toy car to him 3/4 of the way across the room. 2.5 year old complies. Who's in trouble?
Well NOBODY of course... Because according to the 5 year olds parents the younger one is at fault... And according to the 2.5 parents, the older one MADE him do it...
Happily_wed 12:22 PM 02-06-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Both.

Older kid knows better.

Younger kid does too.

This is my response!
spud912 02:12 PM 02-06-2014
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
Well NOBODY of course... Because according to the 5 year olds parents the younger one is at fault... And according to the 2.5 parents, the older one MADE him do it...

SilverSabre25 02:18 PM 02-06-2014
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:

Fortunately the 5 yo's parents won't know about it and the 2.5 yo's mom watched the whole thing happen, heaved a big sigh, and handled it. The 2.5's mom also realizes how much "Hero Worship" is going on between the 2.5 and the 5. The 2.5 thinks the WORLD of 5 and will do anything 5 wants him to...except help clean up toys. NO one can get 2.5 to do that these days.

(I'm 2.5's mom, just to be clear, lol)
Babyluver21 04:33 PM 02-08-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Both.

Older kid knows better.

Younger kid does too.

Yep, this here!!!!

Sometimes, if I can't determine "who" did it (like didn't SEE it myself with certainty of who did what) and both give me a story, they're still both in trouble (or ALL when it comes to MY children).
Nebula 02:52 AM 02-10-2014
LOL yep both.
Tags:ethics, mixed ages, responsibility, trustworthiness, values
Reply Up