Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help Me Decide (long, sorry!)
daycarediva 10:29 AM 03-21-2016
Here is my current crew-
1/ 4.5 yo, is moving on to kindergarten out of district the first week of Sept. Space is already filled for the week following.
1/ almost 2yo FT staying on through summer
2 kids both, 3 yo's part time that alternate days for a FT space, both staying on.
1/2yo FT teacher family that wants a space in sept. I have a teacher policy that they can attend or pay the rate for 3 days to hold it with a contract and deposit for Sept. Sept contract and deposit is all in. Days are set.
2 teacher families leaving mid-end of June, they are building a house in the district the parents teach, so they will be home for summer and find a preschool closer in fall (over 45 minutes away/one way). They both attended with three day policy last summer.

Both SA children are staying on as before and after school kids with the park camp again this summer. It worked out great last year and both parents and I loved the set up. (keeping SA without the hassle of ALL DAY during summer). I also send my own youngest two sa children. I normally wouldn't NEED to fill all spaces, but without the additional SA income and then the cost of sending my own 2 SA, I have to stay full to make it work.

Family that took the space for Sept for my leaving kindergarten kid is a great fit. Deposit and contract done.

Now I have TWO spaces for June open. My interviews have been AWFUL. Here is the only interview out of 15 that hasn't been a run for the hills nightmare.

It's a sibling set, 18m and 3 1/2. Older child is potty trained. Parents were very nice and on board with policies, professional people, kids were awesome. They checked me out with licensing, asked great questions. They want a rotating schedule, M-W for 4 weeks and W-F for 4 weeks.

They are a referral from the illegal daycare I posted about. Licensing showed up while parents were there. She lost all clients but 2. (her sisters kids). They are VERY cautious about any new childcare arrangements. They found out some very bad situations and are openly nervous. The only reason they even considered another FCC is because of my DCM's referral.

What would even consider this? What would you charge? I let them know up front that FT trumps PT and that it's possible I wouldn't have the spaces in Sept. They are fine with even a temporary arrangement, as Dad is using all his paid time off and Mom is taking a leave of absence until they could make a decision about child care.
childcaremom 10:34 AM 03-21-2016
I usually tell rotating schedule clients that because I keep a FT space open for them, I charge FT. Most balk at this and don't sign.... so I would compromise between a PT rate and FT rate. Maybe the halfway point?

I would hesitate to promise even the summer, though. Especially if you need to be full.
Josiegirl 10:35 AM 03-21-2016
I would consider them. As far as payment, you almost need to request full rate because there is little chance of finding alternating need for childcare on their off days.
childcaremom 10:38 AM 03-21-2016
As another option, i would tell them that to guarantee having the spaces available, and long term, you will charge FT. Use the days or not.

But if they want to pay as they go, with their rotating schedule, you will charge $x. And I would make it between the PT and FT rate that you charge. I would also let them know it would not be a guaranteed length and that a FT could come along at any time.
Thriftylady 10:53 AM 03-21-2016
I am amazed that the state showed up already. That was fast! I guess I would consider it as long as they understand the FT/PT thing. But then it totally depends on your finances also.
daycarediva 10:59 AM 03-21-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I am amazed that the state showed up already. That was fast! I guess I would consider it as long as they understand the FT/PT thing. But then it totally depends on your finances also.
I could work with the PT income. As long as the spaces weren't just open.

I charge a higher daily rate for part time anyway, so the weekly difference is actually only $40/kid. eg.35/day 5 days, 40/day 4 days, 45/day 3 days. I might quote her a round 150/week per kid though. Since the days are rotating there is NO way I could fill opposite them.
daycarediva 11:02 AM 03-21-2016
THREE daycare parents called. Dcm and 2 others. DCM and provider got into it when she came to get the pack and play and kids clothing (when provider said she could come) other parents were present and dcm asked the provider if she had the agreed upon refund check ready and provider said no, she would refund IF dcm left the pack and play () because she didn't have another one.

referral mom said "WHAT? Where is 18mo sleeping?" (ON THE COUCH. She called licensing.

Other Mom heard it- stopped dcm outside and asked. She told her she lied about being licensed. That dcm called as well.

DRAMMMMAAA!
Thriftylady 11:22 AM 03-21-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
THREE daycare parents called. Dcm and 2 others. DCM and provider got into it when she came to get the pack and play and kids clothing (when provider said she could come) other parents were present and dcm asked the provider if she had the agreed upon refund check ready and provider said no, she would refund IF dcm left the pack and play () because she didn't have another one.

referral mom said "WHAT? Where is 18mo sleeping?" (ON THE COUCH. She called licensing.

Other Mom heard it- stopped dcm outside and asked. She told her she lied about being licensed. That dcm called as well.

DRAMMMMAAA!
Oh wow, so they got a fire under them because of the number of complaints then I guess?
daycarediva 11:32 AM 03-21-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Oh wow, so they got a fire under them because of the number of complaints then I guess?
Yes, and after a death a few years back my local registrars office actually has a FT employee who busts illegal daycares in the area.
Tags:age groups, full time vs part time
Reply Up