Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:55 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Default Starting A Week Of Frustration

DCF1 comes in and hands me a "chart" of different kinds of poop and tells me that I have to monitor dcg age 3 1/2 for 5 days and chart her poop, when, how much, and what kind......for the next 5 days.......They took her to the doctor last Thursday and was told to do this.....and I ask.....Why didn't you do this the over the long weekend that you had her at home....oh wait, it is easier to have the dcprovider do it. I don't get paid enought to montor crap. I really don't understand what the issue is here with this girl anyways, she shows no signs of issues with her poop or peeing abilities here, and I have her 4 days a week and gma the other day. Sometimes I think some parents like "things to be wrong with their kids". Crazy to me.

DCF2 comes in and tells me dcg 2 1/2 is in panties that she went pee and poop over the weekend in the toilet....hmm, last week you were saying how she peed all over pretty much everyday. Wow, I had a diaper on her within 30 seconds after parent left. My rules for potty training are 2 weeks in pullups accident free, with child coming to me telling me they have to pee. Hmm, this child has never told me she has to pee, and I am not allowing her to be in my home in panties. This is crazy. I love this parent, but obviously they just don't think about the consequences of putting a 2 1/2 yr old in panties that has never once told the provider they have to go pee and has not showed any signs of potty training at all here.

It is amazing to me the number of providers/parents that think it is ok for kids to use the floors/furniture as a potty during the potty training process. That is just gross.

Gonna be a good week.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:20 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac60 View Post
DCF1 comes in and hands me a "chart" of different kinds of poop and tells me that I have to monitor dcg age 3 1/2 for 5 days and chart her poop, when, how much, and what kind......for the next 5 days.......They took her to the doctor last Thursday and was told to do this.....and I ask.....Why didn't you do this the over the long weekend that you had her at home....oh wait, it is easier to have the dcprovider do it. I don't get paid enought to montor crap. I really don't understand what the issue is here with this girl anyways, she shows no signs of issues with her poop or peeing abilities here, and I have her 4 days a week and gma the other day. Sometimes I think some parents like "things to be wrong with their kids". Crazy to me.
Ha ha ha! Did you tell them that you would love to look at dcg's poop all day long and analyze it for them, but that you'd have to charge $5/poop because that is outside the scope of your duties? I would never do that, but I can see me being very tempted to tell them that!! You have to wonder about some parents!
Old 12-27-2010, 05:27 AM
Little People

Quote:

DCF2 comes in and tells me dcg 2 1/2 is in panties that she went pee and poop over the weekend in the toilet....hmm, last week you were saying how she peed all over pretty much everyday. Wow, I had a diaper on her within 30 seconds after parent left. My rules for potty training are 2 weeks in pullups accident free, with child coming to me telling me they have to pee. Hmm, this child has never told me she has to pee, and I am not allowing her to be in my home in panties. This is crazy. I love this parent, but obviously they just don't think about the consequences of putting a 2 1/2 yr old in panties that has never once told the provider they have to go pee and has not showed any signs of potty training at all here.

It is amazing to me the number of providers/parents that think it is ok for kids to use the floors/furniture as a potty during the potty training process. That is just gross.

Gonna be a good week.
Use cat scooper....
Scoop poop and place in baggie...
Punch pin holes in baggie....
Place baggie in lunch (paper) sack....
Then walk parent and child to the car....
Place paper bag on the front seat of car....
Squeeze bag some....
And say...
Have a wonderful evening!

Sorry, just thought you would get a laugh out of this!!
Old 12-27-2010, 06:22 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

Gonna be a good week.
If I was DCF2 I would NOT be happy with my provider if she threw my child back in diapers after my child went potty all weekend and did all the hardwork for nothing. A pull up is just liek a DIAPER kids will NOT learn to train properly in a pull ups she NEEDS to be in undies its not a big issue to clean up accidents and a 2 and half year old GIRL is more then ready to potty train YOU and the PARENTS have to train her not wait for her to tell you she has to potty.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:50 AM

Quote:
its not a big issue to clean up accidents
Well, it can be, if there are more than just this one child around! Imagine other little ones slipping in a pile of pee (or worse), or pee/poop on your carpet and furniture... most providers make a couple of bucks an hour at most. Would you clean up accidents all day for that, Unregistered?

You can keep a diaper on her and continue to take her to the potty. I don't see the big deal. Personally, as a parent I can't imagine thinking that it was someone else's "job" to potty train my child, and I would be absolutely mortified at the thought of one of my own having an accident on the floor or furniture at someone else's house.

I guess the difference is that I've been on both sides of the fence here. Most parents mean well but don't take the time to think of things from a provider point of view.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:52 AM

I put a dipe over undies for two solid weeks after each accident period I won't allow someone to pee on my stuff. I would offer to take pic of poop and text it to them that's as far as I would go lol
Old 12-27-2010, 07:32 AM

The diaper is OVER the panties......I def don't get paid enough to have a child peeing and potty training on my carpet and furniture. The is digusting and very unsanitary. We have policies in place for a reason, sure would be nice if the parents would read and adhere to them.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:50 AM
Unregistered

I would be livid if I took my kid to daycare and the provider put a diaper on them after they used the potty all weekend, if you don't want to deal with accidents that 2 years old make when potty training, don't watch 2 year olds.

Children learn to potty train much faster when they feel that they had an accident and it's uncomfortable, they don't want to feel wet and poopy, therefore to avoid that feeling, they use the potty. Will there be accidents during this process? Yes, that's part of the deal. Potty training has to be consistant, she can't be in underwear at home and diapers at daycare.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I would be livid if I took my kid to daycare and the provider put a diaper on them after they used the potty all weekend, if you don't want to deal with accidents that 2 years old make when potty training, don't watch 2 year olds.

Children learn to potty train much faster when they feel that they had an accident and it's uncomfortable, they don't want to feel wet and poopy, therefore to avoid that feeling, they use the potty. Will there be accidents during this process? Yes, that's part of the deal. Potty training has to be consistant, she can't be in underwear at home and diapers at daycare.
And if you believe that the parents put her in undies and allow accidents at home on THEIR furniture the entire time they aren't with you I've got some ocean front property I'll sell you in Indiana.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:05 AM
Daycare.com Member

I wouldn't chart for a parent who is too lazy to do it themselves over the previous long weekend.....it kills me that dcp is trying to impress on you how "important" the charting is yet they can't be troubled to DO IT THEMSELVES! Just put the chart in diaper bag and if they ask about it say "my job (gesture towards your houseful of ankle biters!) doesn't allow for the extra time to chart poops. Maybe you should do this over the weekend." then smile. Yuck....no way!

Sorry that you are having to deal with drama Mac60!
Good Luck
Old 12-27-2010, 09:09 AM
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer

Quote:
If I was DCF2 I would NOT be happy with my provider if she threw my child back in diapers after my child went potty all weekend and did all the hardwork for nothing. A pull up is just liek a DIAPER kids will NOT learn to train properly in a pull ups she NEEDS to be in undies its not a big issue to clean up accidents and a 2 and half year old GIRL is more then ready to potty train YOU and the PARENTS have to train her not wait for her to tell you she has to potty.

Spoken from someone who surely hasn't potty trained the masses.

Group care is different than one to one care friend. Think of the OTHER kids. You want your baby crawling around in another kids urine or confined into a playpen while the provider cleans the mess and the carpet dries?

It's easy to say it's not hard when it's not your carpet, couch, equipment.

What they do at home doesn't have diddly to do with what I do here. I've had kids that were potty trained at my house for over a year before they went in undies at home. I've had kids trained at home for a year before they went in undies here. Those are extreme examples but it does happen.

I don't do potty training based on what ONE kid needs. I do it based on what is best for the group, my business, and my staff time.

Parents saying a kid was in undies all weekend is usually just the words "she's been great all weekend with no accidents". VERY often you find out (usually from the Dad) that indeed the kid DID have accidents and was taken to the potty every half hour or something impossible to replicate in a group.

Just because a parent says the WORDS "she's trained" doesn't mean that the child is even within a year of being potty trained. What matters is what the child does in the GROUP.

There's a HUGE incentive to have kids wear underwear in day care. The cost of diapers is no longer a parent responsibility and it forces the provider to train the kid even if the parents aren't doing a single thing at home. Get hit with that a couple of times and see how the profit from that kid can go up in smoke with all the one to one care, cleaning, and replacement of equipment/furniture.

If the kid is potty trained she will potty in the potty regardless of what's on her bum. I've only had two accidents in my home for the last nine years. I don't put kids into undies until I'm ready to. Parent words don't affect my decision. I base it on the kids ability not parents words.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:20 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post

Spoken from someone who surely hasn't potty trained the masses.

Group care is different than one to one care friend. Think of the OTHER kids. You want your baby crawling around in another kids urine or confined into a playpen while the provider cleans the mess and the carpet dries?

It's easy to say it's not hard when it's not your carpet, couch, equipment.

What they do at home doesn't have diddly to do with what I do here. I've had kids that were potty trained at my house for over a year before they went in undies at home. I've had kids trained at home for a year before they went in undies here. Those are extreme examples but it does happen.

I don't do potty training based on what ONE kid needs. I do it based on what is best for the group, my business, and my staff time.

Parents saying a kid was in undies all weekend is usually just the words "she's been great all weekend with no accidents". VERY often you find out (usually from the Dad) that indeed the kid DID have accidents and was taken to the potty every half hour or something impossible to replicate in a group.

Just because a parent says the WORDS "she's trained" doesn't mean that the child is even within a year of being potty trained. What matters is what the child does in the GROUP.

There's a HUGE incentive to have kids wear underwear in day care. The cost of diapers is no longer a parent responsibility and it forces the provider to train the kid even if the parents aren't doing a single thing at home. Get hit with that a couple of times and see how the profit from that kid can go up in smoke with all the one to one care, cleaning, and replacement of equipment/furniture.

If the kid is potty trained she will potty in the potty regardless of what's on her bum. I've only had two accidents in my home for the last nine years. I don't put kids into undies until I'm ready to. Parent words don't affect my decision. I base it on the kids ability not parents words.
Very well said! I love these people coming on here (who obviously have never dealt with an issue like this) who are outraged that a provider would put a diaper back on a child who has been in undies for 2 whole days!! More likely than not, the parents are trained to take the child to the potty every 15-30 minutes, not the child being actually potty trained.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:14 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:

Gonna be a good week.
Uh uh! No way! What child care provider has time to run along behind a 3 1/2 yr old every time she "goes potty" to see if she pooped, and if she did, to compare it to the chart and write it down? Besides that, I couldn't tell you when or how often our potty trained children actually go to the potty and what they do on the potty. Once they're potty trained they just go potty whenever they need to, like they would at home. Of course we take the younger ones in the process of potty training to the potty at specific times throughout the day. I would just explain to DCF1 that you cannot do that during day, but that he can get it started next weekend, or even at home during the morning or evening when she "poops".
As for DCF2, if you have it in your policy what your potty training policy is (waiting until they're accident free at home for whatever your specified time is, then you will allow panties in daycare). They signed the contract and policy right? So he should be okay with it when you enforce it. Personally we do allow children in panties at daycare when the parents are using them at home already, but I can certainly see both sides of this (and the provider's who have it in their policy that they won't do panties until child is accident free at home for 2 weeks or whatever probably have more experience than me on potty training.) Anyway, I can see why most providers choose not to allow panties yet (because we have dealt with waaaay too many accidents on furniture and carpets, etc, and it seems very unsanitary to me!), but because we agree that children don't see any difference between pull ups or diapers and will go in their pants as long as they have something on we encourage the parents to send them in panties. We have some who are completely potty trained, but for some reason they sometimes come in with a pull up on, so they'll just go in it until we realize that they're wearing one! Sometimes the parents forget to bring panties or underwear, so they just tell us to keep a pull up on them. The children will just use the pull up then instead of the potty. Maybe it's laziness, or they forget to go to the potty as long as they have that pull up feeling, but either way, they won't go on the potty as long as that pull up is on.
But the messes that makes is just awful when you have several potty training at once! We DO wait until the parents use panties on them at home with success for a little while before we begin here, like I said earlier. SO if this is the first time they've used panties on her and it was only over the weekend, I would tell him you'll wait until she can go awhile at home with good progress, before you'll use panties at daycare. Just remind him of your policy and let him know that you'll be putting her in diapers or pull ups at daycare (if that's what you decide to continue doing).
Go
Old 12-28-2010, 05:32 AM

Mac: I thought of you and this post last night! I was talking to dcm who was going to start potty training at home this week (I don't have dcg this week). Mom said it's going great, but she's had a few accidents. I asked if she's saying when she has to go and mom said no, they are setting a timer and going every 30 MINUTES! Are you kidding me? There must be something in the air with potty training this week! I'm the same as you regarding undies and pull ups. I told mom that if dcg can't stay dry for an hour-hour and a hafl, then we wont' be doing it at my house. It's just ridiculous. I totally understand your frustration!
Old 12-28-2010, 05:34 AM

Quote:

Gonna be a good week.
DCF 1: Did you actually ask WHY you have to do this? Esp. since the child is not showing any signs of distress etc? When my eldest sister was 2 years old (MANY MANY years ago ) she swallowed a dime. My mother took her to the Dr and he said that the dime will eventually reappear. This is gross and disgusting but my mother had to take the BM and place it on newspaper and using gloves, had to go through each BM until she finally found it a few days later. I would just ask to see THEIR chart and how they were doing it to make sure you are doing it the right way.

DCF 2: I guess I am from the old school but I don't believe in pull-ups. To me, they are just a diaper. If a child has an accident or can't be bothered, then they aren't ready. Back in a diaper they go. When I was at my former center, I would be the one to request the child to go straight into underwear. The only time the child would be in diapers would be at nap time. Then I would put the diaper on and then the underwear over that so after nap I would just take off the diaper. Sure we had accidents. ALL kids have accidents. I would give them 2 chances. After the second accident, then in the diaper they go until the next day. I agree with the other poster that the child will be confused if they are in underwear at home and diapers/pull ups at the providers home/daycare.

As for your family Mac maybe you need to remind them of your policy. Do you have a separate handout sheet detailing that you require pull ups etc.?
Old 12-28-2010, 11:19 AM
Unregistered

Default You are something else!

Quote:

I'm just going to say it. Are you high? Seriously? When was the last time that you potty trained a child, let alone more than one child at once? Yes, I'm sure that it's preferable for a child to be in underwear and not a diaper/pull-up, but guess what? IT DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY IN A DAYCARE SETTING WHERE THERE IS THE POTENTIAL FOR OTHER CHILDREN TO BE EXPOSED TO YOUR CHILD'S EXCREMENT! Seriously, work on potty training at home any way that you'd like, but deal with the fact that most providers need some insurance until a child is truly potty trained. If it makes you so "livid" then feel free to find a daycare provider who'll let you have your way. Seriously, I think that you sound like the type of parent who thinks that she can just push around her provider because you feel like she "works" for you. You're nothing more than a bully, lady.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:04 PM

I never allowed my own children to pee or poop on the carpet, furniture, etc. so why would I ever think about allowing daycare children to do this!! No way!! THey are in pullups or diapers until fully potty trained, this means, accident free for quite some time, and goes on their own without any assistance from myself(this comes from my contract)
Old 12-28-2010, 03:17 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
I'm just going to say it. Are you high? Seriously? When was the last time that you potty trained a child, let alone more than one child at once? Yes, I'm sure that it's preferable for a child to be in underwear and not a diaper/pull-up, but guess what? IT DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY IN A DAYCARE SETTING WHERE THERE IS THE POTENTIAL FOR OTHER CHILDREN TO BE EXPOSED TO YOUR CHILD'S EXCREMENT! Seriously, work on potty training at home any way that you'd like, but deal with the fact that most providers need some insurance until a child is truly potty trained. If it makes you so "livid" then feel free to find a daycare provider who'll let you have your way. Seriously, I think that you sound like the type of parent who thinks that she can just push around her provider because you feel like she "works" for you. You're nothing more than a bully, lady.
I just went through this a few weeks ago, DCM comes in says dcb was in underwear all weekend. I was like OK. I took him every 45 minutes, asked him at least every 30min if he needed to go. He never went in the bathroom but peed on my chair during breakfast and again during lunch. Ran all down his legs onto his socks and my carpet. I told her if you are going to bring him while potty training, he either needs pull-ups or plastic underwear over his undies. She said "I've heard they train faster with underwear". Well, not here. She said they would work on it at home over Christmas. I have been closed because dd had strep, so we will see what tomorrow brings. It isnt my job to clean up after him because she doesnt want to buy pull-ups or plastic underwear. That is insane!!!!!
Old 12-28-2010, 06:10 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Actually, I am a daycare provider, I care for 5 children, 1 is an infant, 2 are toddlers (15 and 18 months) and the other 2 are potty training 2 year olds. They are taken to the potty every 45 minutes, it isn't that big of a deal, it isn't "too hard" or "too much work", it's part of the job, I say that I'll watch 2-3 year olds, well potty training is part of the package. If it was "too much trouble" then I wouldn't watch 2 year olds, it's that simple.

As far as kids falling in, slipping in, being exposed to a potty training kids "accident", that's ridiculous, if they wet their pants 99% of the "accident" is contained to the child themself, there won't be puddles lying around, lets not be so dramatic.

Sorry, you sound lazy, kids have accidents, clean it up and move on.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:51 PM

I refuse to allow puddles either. I'm not lazy I just think the sanitation concerns outweigh the benefits. Yes they learn faster when they feel the wetness but they learn even faster when you wait until they are ready to learn. It should not take months or weeks even. It should be days. If the child is ready that's the key. I care for 10 kids ages 6 weeks to 5 years. Lots of children have been through my program over the last 22years.
I think containing the mess is the key. And the main issue most providers have. I will continue to diaper over unders until the day I close. Because for me it is just my policy. Parents either agree with it or go elsewhere.
Quote:
Actually, I am a daycare provider, I care for 5 children, 1 is an infant, 2 are toddlers (15 and 18 months) and the other 2 are potty training 2 year olds. They are taken to the potty every 45 minutes, it isn't that big of a deal, it isn't "too hard" or "too much work", it's part of the job, I say that I'll watch 2-3 year olds, well potty training is part of the package. If it was "too much trouble" then I wouldn't watch 2 year olds, it's that simple.

As far as kids falling in, slipping in, being exposed to a potty training kids "accident", that's ridiculous, if they wet their pants 99% of the "accident" is contained to the child themself, there won't be puddles lying around, lets not be so dramatic.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:01 PM
Daycare.com Member

mac60:
I am with you!...100%
no way am I having a little one who has been *quote* "potty trained" for two days go piddle, piddle, puddle all over my house!
My house, my rules!
I decide when lil one goes from diapers to panties at my house-not parents.
They can do what they want at their own house.
I have a large brood of my own children and only one was potty trained on his second birthday and NEVER made an accident. All the rest had accidents occasionally. With my own kids it was quilted undies with rubber pants over and then when no accidents on to undies. NO PULL UPS!
With my dc kiddies it is diapers then undies. NO PULL UPS!
I child hasn't been potty trained if I am reminding him and taking him to the potty every half hour or so.
They are potty trained when they tell me they need to go.
I hope the rest of your week has improved.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:14 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:

Are you kidding me??? There aren't puddles? Maybe its just the two year olds I have but it runs down the leg to the socks and on to the floor and if this happens while I'm in the kitchen making lunch and the little one comes to tell me they peed then I have pee foot prints from the one room to the kitchen. Its a little more than just changing pants and moving on. then there is the bm and how it sticks to underwear or falls on the floor when you take them off. Its disgusting and unsanitary. I have crafts, books to read and hugs to give I dont have time to mop up pee and scrub poop off my floor, couch or chairs. I guess if that makes me lazy so be it.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:22 PM
Daycare.com Member

um, YEAH there ARE puddles! I've had "oh, she's been in underwear at home for 3 days" (never once asked to go potty ever) and then the first 30 minutes she's here, the puddle on the floor. Hope your week improves!!
Old 12-28-2010, 09:44 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikia View Post
Are you kidding me??? There aren't puddles? Maybe its just the two year olds I have but it runs down the leg to the socks and on to the floor and if this happens while I'm in the kitchen making lunch and the little one comes to tell me they peed then I have pee foot prints from the one room to the kitchen. Its a little more than just changing pants and moving on. then there is the bm and how it sticks to underwear or falls on the floor when you take them off. Its disgusting and unsanitary. I have crafts, books to read and hugs to give I dont have time to mop up pee and scrub poop off my floor, couch or chairs. I guess if that makes me lazy so be it.
Exactly. And if the child doesn't tell us they had an accident until we see their wet pants, we get to go looking for the puddle by following the pee foot prints. Seriously, we really do. One day last week there were at least 3 or 4 puddles (yes, actual puddles) to clean up before lunch time ever came around. That was a bad day for all of them on potty training (even one of the potty trained ones had trouble that day...). In fact, at one point, we knew one of them had an accident, but somehow or other they didn't leave foot prints, and we couldn't find the puddle! We did find it later when we moved a chair and "water" dripped down YUCK! I did some major mopping and sanitizing that day during nap time! What if another child had sat in that! What if we had? What if someone from the state had came in and decided to have a seat on that particular chair before we found the "water"... yes, puddles around the daycare are a big deal. And it's even worse when you have more than 1 or 2 in the process at one time.
Mac60, how's the poop charting going? Did you say anything to DCF1?
Old 12-29-2010, 02:30 AM
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer

Quote:

That's so silly. It makes me question whether you are really a provider. If you haven't had kids walking around in pee saturated socks then you haven't done day care for too long and haven't had too many kids.

It aint personal. It's gravity.

Taking kids to the potty every 45 minutes is also something I would never do. It's putting WAY too much focus on potty training and takes away from the group.

I've only had two potty accidents in the nine years I have lived in this house and both kids did it on their first day in undies after being dry for two weeks.

The last accident I had here was when my past dck was three and she is now 7.5. I have had 3.5 years without a single accident and nine years with only two accidents total. I manage this because I rock at potty training.

The number one reason I rock in potty training is that I don't allow the parents words to influence my decision of when to put them in undies. I listen to their progress but "I" decide the day they go into undies. I wasn't so smart the first few years I did day care but I've learned over the years that a LOT of parents viewpoints of their kids readiness to train and ability to train is very very far away from how the kid will do in my house.

My number two rule is the child must be able to SAY THE WORDS "I have to go potty BEFORE they have to go potty" and have them actually GO potty after saying those words. They have to SAY THOSE WORDS for two weeks before they are put in undies and have two weeks consecutive ACCIDENT FREE.

That pretty much eliminates any gray area.

I have three of six now that are potty trained and not a one has had an accident in my house. They potty trained at 2.5 years to 3.25 years. They all potty trained here with my system and made it thru without a single pee accident. The last one that trained did it completely on his own. I've never even had to tell him to go to the potty or asked him if he wants to go. He has a much older sib and learned what to do at home. He was 2.5 when it was done and he's VERY verbal.

In the end it's a personal choice. It's our equipment and our time/money when a kid has an accident that requires a lot of staff time to clean up. The best way to solve parents wanting to do your system (the accidents are normal and okay... only get on their clothes... and the provider takes the kid to the potty every 45 minutes) is to require a signed agreement that they will pay for any carpet, upholstery, equipment to be done by a proffessional cleaning company on an on call immediate basis. As long as they agree that they will pay to have a pro come to your house to steam clean your home and equipment then the going in undies and having accidents would work fine. Since one trip of that would cost more than a couple of months of diapers... I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone to sign and agree.

If they don't want to pay for the clean up then the provider needs to get to decide when they go in undies. I don't even use the diaper over undies method until they are really really far into the process and only if I have a two/three percent chance idea they could have an accident... like during our walk when it's a hardship for everyone to come back to the house to do clothing change. Other than that I just use diapers during the process. Pullups don't help me much. They are so crappily made now that I would only use them for older kids who have not trained yet but who can manage their own diapering with pull ups.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:01 AM

I also agree--to a point--with the idea that a child who is really potty trained will use the potty regardless of what is covering their bottom. I wouldn't expect them to do this at the beginning, before they've gotten used to underwear, but I would expect them to be able to do it after being used to underwear. IMO, a child who is truly ready to be potty trained will train up very quickly once underwear are put on them--and ready to be trained includes being verbal enough (or have enough signs) to initiate potty trips on their own.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:30 AM

Potty training has always been, always will be, a source of contention between parents and many providers. Personally, I don't have issues with potty trainnig and parents, as the parents respect that I have MUCH more experience in this area than they do and I am typically the one who announces that the child is in training. I usually start before even talking to the parent about it, and typically my kids are trained within a couple of days, in undies, not pull-ups.

However, the original post here seems to be more about a parent/provider problem, not just potty training.

Mac, I think what parent #1 did was completely unncceptable and you should have told her on the spot that this is not in your job description. Personally, I would help the parent out, but NOT if that was how it was brought up....it would have had to have been a request, in advance, and the parent would have to be involved at home as well.....the chart would have to go back and forth and I would have to see that the parents were actually doing it to continue with it. I wonder though, why you simply accept that from the parent....why didn't you tell her how you felt about it?

Parent #2 would be told that the child was being put in diapers and that I don't believe the child is ready. I wouldn't have done it without telling the parent though, by NOT saying something to the parent at the time it seems to the parent that you are in agreement and that you will follow through with her request.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
Potty training has always been, always will be, a source of contention between parents and many providers. Personally, I don't have issues with potty trainnig and parents, as the parents respect that I have MUCH more experience in this area than they do and I am typically the one who announces that the child is in training. I usually start before even talking to the parent about it, and typically my kids are trained within a couple of days, in undies, not pull-ups.

This is soooo true! Especially for children who are full time. Full time children spend a majority of their waking hours in childcare so the provider really does know when the child is ready and able. However, the original post here seems to be more about a parent/provider problem, not just potty training.
This seems very logical and reasonable as well since the op didn't say anything about this sort of activity not being in her job description.....I have lines and boundaries and charting poop is not within them!!

Mac, I think what parent #1 did was completely unncceptable and you should have told her on the spot that this is not in your job description. Personally, I would help the parent out, but NOT if that was how it was brought up....it would have had to have been a request, in advance, and the parent would have to be involved at home as well.....the chart would have to go back and forth and I would have to see that the parents were actually doing it to continue with it. I wonder though, why you simply accept that from the parent....why didn't you tell her how you felt about it?

Parent #2 would be told that the child was being put in diapers and that I don't believe the child is ready. I wouldn't have done it without telling the parent though, by NOT saying something to the parent at the time it seems to the parent that you are in agreement and that you will follow through with her request.
I also want to add that I have seen many times over the years that children will and can use the toilet at daycare but NOT at home and some use it at home and NOT at daycare so it goes both ways....but when they are in my home I, like nannyde, have to be the one to decide if they are ready for toileting abilities since group settings are not the same as being at home. I currently have one little boy right now who is 3.5 yrs old and has been wearing a pull-up WITH NO ACCIDENTS here for well over 6 months but I know for a fact he wears a diaper and pees/poos in it at home. Mom says he won't "perform" for her.....NOT my problem because he does just fine here. But it just goes to show ya...kids are behave differently in different environments and if the environment is my house; then it is my rules. I have no problem working with a parent and trying to do it together but I also know what each child can and can't do for me; it is the parents responsibilty to know what their child can and can't do when with them. I can't make any parent follow any rules outside my daycare so I handle each situation individually as to how it works while at my house.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:54 PM
Family Childcare Home

For family #1 I would have just said that I'm too busy to chart poop and would have offered to save every dirty diaper with poop in it and bag it up so they can take it home and chart it themselves. I would have even written the time on it if they preffered lol. Personally i wouldnt want to do it, they can do it themselves and i'll add an .."that way it can be charted correctly because my definition of one poop may not be your definition of that same poop" and then give them a big smile.

... or I would have done the long vacant stare followed with an uncomfortable and akward silence.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:49 AM

So.....

How's it going so far?

Tags
frustrated, poop