Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Got A Job - Now Getting Ready To Close - HELP!!
Unregistered 10:53 AM 08-16-2013
I just got the job I have been wanting for a long time. Still in the early childhood field, but at a different capacity, not directly with the children. I have wanted benefits and my home back for a long time. Now I have to tell parents and others. Not sure how to do it and really stressing!
HELP!!
MyAngels 11:32 AM 08-16-2013
I'd tell them in person, but follow up with a note. Maybe something like this:

Dear families,

It is with mixed emotions that I write this note today. As you know I have been providing care for over 20 years now and I have loved every moment of it, but I have reached a time in my life when I feel it is time for me to explore other opportunities outside of the home.

I have decided to close my daycare business on (whatever date). I am enclosing some information that may help you in your search for a new provider.

Thank you.
MamaBear 11:41 AM 08-16-2013
I did this same thing before when I closed down awhile back. I got the job I wanted and then knew I had to tell the parents. I didnt have to start my new job for a month so I gave my daycare parents a month advance notice. I'm not sure if that much time is really necessary because they all found alternate care in the next week or so.

I would definitely tell them in person and also hand them a letter explaining in a short but sweet letter like MyAngels said. I worried so much what the parents would think and what they would do after I closed down ~ but you really shouldn't worry about them. They will find a new daycare and move on and be fine. Just concentrate on YOU

Congratulations by the way!
mema 11:56 AM 08-16-2013
Originally Posted by MyAngels:

Dear families,

It is with mixed emotions that I write this note today. As you know I have been providing care for over 20 years now and I have loved every moment of it, but I have reached a time in my life when I feel it is time for me to explore other opportunities outside of the home.

I have decided to close my daycare business on (whatever date). I am enclosing some information that may help you in your search for a new provider.

Thank you.
Congrats!
LK5kids 11:58 AM 08-16-2013
Oh gosh!!, I have been close to this the past few weeks...even had an interview for a second grade teaching position last week! I didn't get it but was freaking out at the short notice! I have put in other applications too.

Congrats and enjoy!!! Yes, inform them in person....I so wished I could text people, but I would never do it that way

Hooray for you! I am so happy for you.
Unregistered 12:12 PM 08-16-2013
Originally Posted by MyAngels:

Dear families,

Thank you.
I love this. Very sincere and I like the idea of a letter in addition to telling them. am so excited, but closing my business is a huge step! I have had a couple of friends that are providers tell me I will be sorry since I won't make as much, but it is totally worth it to me. Sometimes you have to think long term and do what is best for your family and health. Pay won't be bad and we will be fine. It is just time!
Tags:close letter, closing daycare - how to, closing letter
Reply Up