Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>An Odd Question
Unregistered 08:02 AM 07-09-2010
Hi everyone,
I am wondering if there is any kind of requirement for licensed daycare centers to have certified restraint-trained personnel on staff in the event of a possible aggressive/violent behavioral situation? I live in MetroWest MA, and my niece is experiencing this situation at the moment. She is looking for a center that provides such personnel. Does anyone know of anyplace like this, or if you have every heard of a situation like this?

Thanks!
Michael 12:15 AM 07-10-2010
That sounds odd. I wouldn't think so.
QualiTcare 04:33 AM 07-10-2010
i've heard of a big leather belt with holes drilled into it.
Chickenhauler 05:52 AM 07-10-2010
I know in MN there is no requirement for restraint/hog tie training for a daycare license.

But, I'm pretty good with a lasso and can bind a calf pretty easily, kid can't be that much harder-they don't run near as fast!

Serioiusly, I think you'd have to shop around for a provider who specializes in behavior problem children. And that won't be cheap, either.
Unregistered 01:30 PM 07-10-2010
I guess only public schools are required to have the training starting in pre-school. That's too bad, but I'm sure it would be expensive for the provider (training-wise), as well as the parents, for the daycare to have that kind of staff available. Thanks for the replies (however, I am a bit concerned about the leather belt with holes comment).
booroo 02:20 PM 07-10-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hi everyone,
I am wondering if there is any kind of requirement for licensed daycare centers to have certified restraint-trained personnel on staff in the event of a possible aggressive/violent behavioral situation? I live in MetroWest MA, and my niece is experiencing this situation at the moment. She is looking for a center that provides such personnel. Does anyone know of anyplace like this, or if you have every heard of a situation like this?

Thanks!
ummmm this is daycare not the pysco ward if a mental hospital!!
AmandasFCC 03:02 PM 07-10-2010
I think in the case of a child who is known to need to be restrained the child would need to come with a support worker. In my area, daycares are not permitted to restrain a child.
QualiTcare 08:11 PM 07-10-2010
I guess only public schools are required to have the training starting in pre-school. That's too bad, but I'm sure it would be expensive for the provider (training-wise), as well as the parents, for the daycare to have that kind of staff available. Thanks for the replies (however, I am a bit concerned about the leather belt with holes comment).
don't be concerned. i was kidding about the holes - a regular belt should work just fine.

the child is too young to have been diagnosed with any "disorder" and it sounds like a behavior problem to me. a daycare age child having violent outbursts should be able to be fixed pretty quick - usually before it starts.
Chickenhauler 02:52 AM 07-11-2010
Not only the training, but the equipment too, cuz I'm sure that duct tape is not an approved restraint device.

I'm unsure about the requirements for public schools having a restraint trained person on staff, but keep in mind you're comparing a daycare (usually one person operation) with a school setting, which normally has a staff of 50 or more people.
professionalmom 05:15 AM 07-11-2010
Originally Posted by booroo:
ummmm this is daycare not the pysco ward if a mental hospital!!
So true. But there are times you have to wonder ...
nannyde 08:09 AM 07-11-2010
Originally Posted by Chickenhauler:
Not only the training, but the equipment too, cuz I'm sure that duct tape is not an approved restraint device.

I'm unsure about the requirements for public schools having a restraint trained person on staff, but keep in mind you're comparing a daycare (usually one person operation) with a school setting, which normally has a staff of 50 or more people.
I do see this as something that will end up being required for home day care. As children become out of control at a younger and younger age and the discipline techniques that are allowed become kindler and gentler we are going to see more and more kids becoming violent at a younger age.

When explosive children are injured simply by the resistant force that an adult HAS to provide to keep them from harming themselves, others, and property the result will be requiring us to get trained to restrain without harming.

Right now in my State MAT training is required for wannabe foster care parents.

I think if we surveyed providers both center and home all over the country and asked them: Are children becoming more violent at a younger age, is it the same, or is it less? I think the overwhelming answer would be MORE violent at a YOUNGER age.

Once the parent, child, and provider are not the only ones involved in the outcomes of violent little kids... meaning the other parents, other kids, and insurers... When the State is having to use it's resources to evaluate whether or not an injury to the violent child was an act of aggression or protection for the provider.. THEN we will see required training and possibly even restraint equipment.
judytrickett 12:12 PM 07-11-2010
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I think if we surveyed providers both center and home all over the country and asked them: Are children becoming more violent at a younger age, is it the same, or is it less? I think the overwhelming answer would be MORE violent at a YOUNGER age.

I completely agree. Kids ARE becoming more violent at a younger age simply because they have not been forced to develop self control and appropriate methods to deal with aggression. One of the biggies is that we are raising kids who think that THEY should be number one ALL the time. And when you have five or more kids who think the entire Universe is there soley to serve them and what they want then somebody, somewhere is gonna get hurt.

I find it VERY interesting that the kids who are disciplined least often and least severely are also, IME, the most violent of all the kids.
QualiTcare 01:41 PM 07-11-2010
public teachers aren't even required to have restraint training btw. hell, you get a lawsuit for hugging a kid - sure as hell wouldnt try to hold one down/back/whatever.

i do know they won't put up with violent outbursts so the kid is headed for special ed. unless it gets put under control.
professionalmom 02:42 AM 07-12-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
public teachers aren't even required to have restraint training btw. hell, you get a lawsuit for hugging a kid - sure as hell wouldnt try to hold one down/back/whatever.

i do know they won't put up with violent outbursts so the kid is headed for special ed. unless it gets put under control.
UGH!! This just gets under my skin and makes me want to scream! Not at you, just the whole situation. It is so true that with all the limitations being put on discipline, we are creating very young, very violent children. Then when they get to school, they get labeled and put on medication (DRUGS!). There is nothing wrong with many of these children (I said many, not all. Obviously some do have legit problems). They are just kids. They merely need to be taught how to control their thoughts, behaviors, and emotions, rather than letting their emotions controlling them. I hate the fact that we took a legitimate social concern (child abuse) to such an extreme that we are now afraid to touch a child for fear of being accused of something. So we have the patients running the asylum. I am not talking about all children, just the ones that have absolutely NO discipline or structure at home, which is a heck of a lot more than I would have ever thought prior to doing daycare. Now the concern is not just about physical abuse, it's about emotional abuse. They are even taking the title of "valedictorian" out of schools because "it might make the others feel inferior". So we are supposed to be so overwhelmingly terrified of hurting a child's feelings, but then put them on drugs to get them to sit still. I can't even express how much worse the "drugs" are than simply putting your foot down and saying NO once in a while. I feel like John Stossel "give me a break". And whatever happened to "Just Say No" to drugs. How can we tell kids to "say no" to drugs WHILE we are pushing pills down there throats? Talk about mixed messages!
judytrickett 04:09 AM 07-12-2010
Originally Posted by professionalmom:
UGH!! This just gets under my skin and makes me want to scream! Not at you, just the whole situation. It is so true that with all the limitations being put on discipline, we are creating very young, very violent children. Then when they get to school, they get labeled and put on medication (DRUGS!). There is nothing wrong with many of these children (I said many, not all. Obviously some do have legit problems). They are just kids. They merely need to be taught how to control their thoughts, behaviors, and emotions, rather than letting their emotions controlling them. I hate the fact that we took a legitimate social concern (child abuse) to such an extreme that we are now afraid to touch a child for fear of being accused of something. So we have the patients running the asylum. I am not talking about all children, just the ones that have absolutely NO discipline or structure at home, which is a heck of a lot more than I would have ever thought prior to doing daycare. Now the concern is not just about physical abuse, it's about emotional abuse. They are even taking the title of "valedictorian" out of schools because "it might make the others feel inferior". So we are supposed to be so overwhelmingly terrified of hurting a child's feelings, but then put them on drugs to get them to sit still. I can't even express how much worse the "drugs" are than simply putting your foot down and saying NO once in a while. I feel like John Stossel "give me a break". And whatever happened to "Just Say No" to drugs. How can we tell kids to "say no" to drugs WHILE we are pushing pills down there throats? Talk about mixed messages!
LOVE this post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Golden Rule 05:41 AM 07-12-2010
I am restraint-trained (Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, Drug Withdrawal, Aspergers, Developmental Disorder, PTSD/Rage etc.).

To find a home provider that offers this you may want to inquire into local foster parents whom provide daycare. That is how I received my initial training.

You can call local home providers to find one willing to attend class with you so you can work together effectively for the best possible outcome for your child. It never hurts to just ask.

Also check with your local child care referral service, they will have a list of providers in your area (many of us do not advertise). They may have solutions we have not considered. Good luck!!
Janet 10:51 AM 07-12-2010
I've really never thought of restraining training! If I had a parent who needed daycare and needed someone with restraint training, I'd probably have to turn the child away because I'd be a bit nervous.

I can't imagine what it's like in schools these days when there is the possibility of a lawsuit lurking around every corner. I went to a school that used corporal punishment and if what I experienced at school were to happen in schools today, there would be criminal charges and lawsuits all over the place! I got my butt paddled with a wooden paddle so many times!!!
professionalmom 11:07 AM 07-12-2010
Originally Posted by Janet:
I've really never thought of restraining training! If I had a parent who needed daycare and needed someone with restraint training, I'd probably have to turn the child away because I'd be a bit nervous.

I can't imagine what it's like in schools these days when there is the possibility of a lawsuit lurking around every corner. I went to a school that used corporal punishment and if what I experienced at school were to happen in schools today, there would be criminal charges and lawsuits all over the place! I got my butt paddled with a wooden paddle so many times!!!
I think we still got spanks or swats in schools when I went thorough school, but I really wouldn't know. All it took for me was the threat. Plus, my parents made it clear that whatever I got at school, I would get double at home. So if I got 2 swats at school, that would be 4 swats at home, making it 6 swats. No way, Jose!! Not for me! And I never got detention either - afraid of ever getting in trouble. So, the threat of punishment was enough to make me tow the line and turn me into a good girl. And I'm stinkin' proud of it!
Janet 11:35 AM 07-12-2010
Unfortunately, I had a defiant streak in me that took years for my school to handle. I wasn't mean to anyone, and I wasn't a physical threat to anyone, but I had a mouth on me! I got spanked on the 1st day of school for 4 out of 5 years in elementary school (that didn't count all of the other spankings that I got!)
QualiTcare 04:37 PM 07-12-2010
Originally Posted by professionalmom:
when i was in kindergarten, my teacher came to my house and picked me up in her own car on a weekend and then picked up two other kids and took us for ice cream as a reward because we never got one ticket pulled the whole year. there were three tickets - green, yellow, and red. once you got the red one u lost recess or something. you wouldn't find a teacher that would ever dream about doing that today, much less talking about it, or DOING it!

we had a whole class talking about possible lawsuits/what to do/what not to do, etc. make sure the door is always open if you have to be alone in the room with a kid...don't hold them, etc. it's insane.

there was a teacher locally who got sued by a teenage boy's parents because he grabbed him by the arm when the boy was out of control. it ended up being dropped, but the charges actually got filed and apparently a prosecutor thought it was a legitimate claim.

yeah, so, you're not likely to find a teacher trained in restraint because it's not required and they sure aren't gonna sign up for it.
MN Mom 05:33 PM 07-12-2010
When I was in K-2 they were still allowing hand swats with rulers. Most of the time, though, naughty kids got sat in a corner with a dunce hat on...that was really embarrassing. I'd take a swat over having to put the pointy hat on and sit in the corner for all to mock and laugh quietly. Around 3rd grade (1987?) They stopped using rulers and dunce hats =/ Where I'm from, if a child needs restraining, they have a special school for naughty kids. Mostly the naughty kids get to sit in their special school fom 9am-2pm and play, color, talk, stare..etc...they aren't actually taught ANYTHING useful

It's so sad the direction our country / society is headed in.

I say bring back spankings, and the right to impose fear of repercussion in our children...

It was always the fear of what if that stopped me as a kid.
judytrickett 04:08 AM 07-13-2010
Originally Posted by MN Mom:
When I was in K-2 they were still allowing hand swats with rulers. Most of the time, though, naughty kids got sat in a corner with a dunce hat on...that was really embarrassing. I'd take a swat over having to put the pointy hat on and sit in the corner for all to mock and laugh quietly. Around 3rd grade (1987?) They stopped using rulers and dunce hats =/ Where I'm from, if a child needs restraining, they have a special school for naughty kids. Mostly the naughty kids get to sit in their special school fom 9am-2pm and play, color, talk, stare..etc...they aren't actually taught ANYTHING useful

It's so sad the direction our country / society is headed in.

I say bring back spankings, and the right to impose fear of repercussion in our children...

It was always the fear of what if that stopped me as a kid.
When I was in grade 6 they still had the strap!

Now, spanking a child with an open hand I am cool with. Using objects like leather I am NOT cool with.

I behaved because I KNEW my fate if I didn't. Just like now as an adult I behave because I know my fate if I don't (jail). I see NOTHING wrong with a child having some fear and using that fear as a deterrent to acting out in an inappropriate manner. That's how society works!

Kids now can go out and flipping MURDER someone before the age of 18 in Canada and get off for it! I mean COME ON!

We are going down a very slippery slope when we raise children to have NO control mechanisms because we have allowed them to run the show.
Chickenhauler 07:04 PM 07-13-2010
Originally Posted by Janet:
Unfortunately, I had a defiant streak in me that took years for my school to handle. I wasn't mean to anyone, and I wasn't a physical threat to anyone, but I had a mouth on me! I got spanked on the 1st day of school for 4 out of 5 years in elementary school (that didn't count all of the other spankings that I got!)
Same here, but they weren't supposed to spank kids when I was in elementary school.

Unfortunately, my father and the principal were good friends who had gone to the "old school" together and he not only had permission, but encouragement to blister my butt if he felt it was needed.

And I was one of those kids who needed it on a regular basis.
Tags:aggressive behavior, behavior
Reply Up