Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>"I'm Gonna Get You" Type Play
Hunni Bee 12:10 PM 07-08-2015
I have a dcg who ONLY wants to play like this. She's 5.5. No matter what the game is she wants to turn it into running, screaming, hiding, tickling type play. I redirect her every time, and she starts in again after a few minutes every time.

We're outside at least 2.5/3 hours a day. I've got 6-8 kids daily, and plenty of toys and things to do. We have lots of field trips and special activities. So it isn't boredom.

She's currently playing legos by herself at the table because she wouldn't stop clambering across everyone else's work and squealing.

Does anyone have any experience/advice for this?
Unregistered 02:28 PM 07-13-2015
I would explain that kinda of play like running and stuff will be allowed only outside we don't play like that inside.everytime it happens I would discipline probably time out don't matter if it takes 20 timeouts will learn quick that is old enough to no better
Laurel 04:36 PM 07-13-2015
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
I have a dcg who ONLY wants to play like this. She's 5.5. No matter what the game is she wants to turn it into running, screaming, hiding, tickling type play. I redirect her every time, and she starts in again after a few minutes every time.

We're outside at least 2.5/3 hours a day. I've got 6-8 kids daily, and plenty of toys and things to do. We have lots of field trips and special activities. So it isn't boredom.

She's currently playing legos by herself at the table because she wouldn't stop clambering across everyone else's work and squealing.

Does anyone have any experience/advice for this?
I'm not sure if you could do this but I did it with my own kids and also sometimes daycare children. I told them that since they had so much energy that they had to run across the backyard and back. I told them to touch the fence and then come back. I had them do it a couple of times every time. I just looked out the window. I got the idea from a neighbor who said when she was a kid her mom would tell them to run around the house.

It does work if you can supervise all the children.

If you can't do that then I would put her at her own table like you did. Not just for a few minutes but until she is clearly uncomfortable with being there that long. 20 times a day for just a few minutes isn't working. Maybe start with a half hour or an hour and you pick the activity.

Laurel
AmyKidsCo 08:19 PM 07-13-2015
Maybe this is how her parents play with her at home so to her it's a way of showing affection?

How do the other DCK react?

I used to shut this kind of play down right away, but when I started watching I noticed that some of the children enjoyed playing that way so now I just monitor who wants to play "catch" type games and who doesn't.
nannyde 05:09 AM 07-14-2015
This kind of play requires zero imagination and nets HIGH excitement. She's trying to get the most fun and attention for little thought and creativity.

Very common in kids who don't know how to play and self entertain. Very common in kids who get to press buttons, point and click, and swipe and get HUGE response like loud music, loud sounds, bells and whistles.

Do a little... get a lot.

It's jack n the box play.

She needs to stop it completely and PLAY TOYS. Start her with infant and toddler toys and work her up to her age group. If she starts using them to create ROAR games then back to baby toys. She hasn't progressed from infant to school aged toys in learning to entertain herself. She just wants to do a little and get a lot. When she does a little she gets excitement, an adult involved, fear reaction from the kids and the nervous laughter and screaming from the kids because they want high excitement too if they can get it for free without work.

Her work is GO PLAY TOYS. No noise toys and no toys that DO anything. She needs to be expected to PLAY. With boredom self entertainment will be born. Give her nothing to do but play toys.
Tags:aggressive behavior, running
Reply Up