Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Daycares and Time Off With Pay
Babybear911 12:48 PM 03-19-2012
Of course you should pay your daycare providers vacation, stat. Holidays,sick day!

Think about it this way...lets say your monthly daycare fees are 800.00 a month. Your child attends a 10 hour day for 5 days a week (approx.22 days in a month). In a month that makes your hourly rate $3.63. Daycare providers don't have a minute to themselves to eat, rest, or take a "break" for 10 hours each day. They do this so each child gets the love, attention and care they deserve each day.

If you want to pay a nannies rate of $15.00 hour. Your monthly fees would be $3300.00 for the same level of care and minimal interaction with other children. So ask yourself...before you complain about paying your daycare provider vacation days...do you have $3300.00 a month for a nanny? If not, appreciate the $3.63 an hour you pay your daycare provider and allow them some R&R they need to provide loving, carrying, and stimulating environment for your child.

Also, would YOU be able to work 10 hours each day with no break and then also get no payment for the vacation you need to rejuvenate your body, mind, and spirit to do your job effectively? Isn't your child worth more than that?

When your daycare provider tells you of their vacation you should smile and embrace them for taking that time to themselves so they can come back and love, nurture and teach your child new things. If not, go get a Nanny and pay the money they ask for...by the way...some Nannies expect paid vacation days as well!

If you still don't see the value of paying for your daycare providers vacation then quit your job and raise your own child.
littlemissmuffet 05:44 PM 03-19-2012
Originally Posted by Babybear911:
Of course you should pay your daycare providers vacation, stat. Holidays,sick day!

Think about it this way...lets say your monthly daycare fees are 800.00 a month. Your child attends a 10 hour day for 5 days a week (approx.22 days in a month). In a month that makes your hourly rate $3.63. Daycare providers don't have a minute to themselves to eat, rest, or take a "break" for 10 hours each day. They do this so each child gets the love, attention and care they deserve each day.

If you want to pay a nannies rate of $15.00 hour. Your monthly fees would be $3300.00 for the same level of care and minimal interaction with other children. So ask yourself...before you complain about paying your daycare provider vacation days...do you have $3300.00 a month for a nanny? If not, appreciate the $3.63 an hour you pay your daycare provider and allow them some R&R they need to provide loving, carrying, and stimulating environment for your child.

Also, would YOU be able to work 10 hours each day with no break and then also get no payment for the vacation you need to rejuvenate your body, mind, and spirit to do your job effectively? Isn't your child worth more than that?

When your daycare provider tells you of their vacation you should smile and embrace them for taking that time to themselves so they can come back and love, nurture and teach your child new things. If not, go get a Nanny and pay the money they ask for...by the way...some Nannies expect paid vacation days as well!

If you still don't see the value of paying for your daycare providers vacation then quit your job and raise your own child.

Bella99 11:47 PM 03-26-2012
Woo!
SunshineMama 04:11 AM 03-27-2012
YES!!! Exactly!
DaisyMamma 07:53 AM 03-29-2012
Geeze, I want to blow up your post and post it on my bulletin board and staple it to my policies!
Christian Mother 09:10 AM 03-29-2012
!!
frugalmama4 03:19 PM 03-29-2012
Dang!!!! I'm totally putting this in my handbook
Unregistered 04:02 PM 03-30-2012
While I can appreciate your sentiment, this post seemed a bit condescending to parents, belittling THEIR work, and putting you up on a pedestal.

"Daycare providers don't have a minute to themselves to eat, rest, or take a "break" for 10 hours each day"

I know this to be false for my provider. The kids nap/rest for 2.5 hours a day. Her kids don't get there til 8 a.m. and all are gone by 5:30. I get a 1 hour lunch, at the most. I only wish I got a 2.5 hour break every day.

"Also, would YOU be able to work 10 hours each day with no break and then also get no payment for the vacation you need to rejuvenate your body, mind, and spirit to do your job effectively? Isn't your child worth more than that?"

A lot of people DO work full time with NO benefits--and they don't grumble about it. They do what they need to do to get bills paid and food on the table. Don't bring my kid into it.

"If you still don't see the value of paying for your daycare providers vacation then quit your job and raise your own child."

Way to make parents feel like crap for having to work and send their kids to daycare. I love my child and would LOVE to stay home with him and raise him and even (gasp!) homeschool. But you know what? Where I live, with the cost of living, it's just not possible.

My provider gets 10 paid days a year--I love her, and I think she genuinely cares about my son--so I'm not griping about paid vs unpaid days off--your choice of words just struck a cord with me--I found it condescending and insulting to me as a parent (telling me to go "raise my own").
wdmmom 08:42 PM 03-30-2012
EEaning
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
While I can appreciate your sentiment, this post seemed a bit condescending to parents, belittling THEIR work, and putting you up on a pedestal.

"Daycare providers don't have a minute to themselves to eat, rest, or take a "break" for 10 hours each day"

I know this to be false for my provider. The kids nap/rest for 2.5 hours a day. Her kids don't get there til 8 a.m. and all are gone by 5:30. I get a 1 hour lunch, at the most. I only wish I got a 2.5 hour break every day.

"Also, would YOU be able to work 10 hours each day with no break and then also get no payment for the vacation you need to rejuvenate your body, mind, and spirit to do your job effectively? Isn't your child worth more than that?"

A lot of people DO work full time with NO benefits--and they don't grumble about it. They do what they need to do to get bills paid and food on the table. Don't bring my kid into it.

"If you still don't see the value of paying for your daycare providers vacation then quit your job and raise your own child."

Way to make parents feel like crap for having to work and send their kids to daycare. I love my child and would LOVE to stay home with him and raise him and even (gasp!) homeschool. But you know what? Where I live, with the cost of living, it's just not possible.

My provider gets 10 paid days a year--I love her, and I think she genuinely cares about my son--so I'm not griping about paid vs unpaid days off--your choice of words just struck a cord with me--I found it condescending and insulting to me as a parent (telling me to go "raise my own").
It's not a break when we are performing other aspects of the job. Just because the kids nap does not mean we aren't working. It means the children aren't needing direct care. We are cleaning up the breakfast and lunch dishes, preparing snack, making invoices/receipts, running the vacuum, returning calls, emails and texts, planning the afternoon activity, planning next weeks breakfast and lunch menu, making a grocery list, paying bills, cleaning the bathroom, mopping the floor, the list goes on and on.

I'd gladly take an hour unpaid lunch break but I want the option to leave to! Since I can't, my 'breaks' (or lack thereof) are PAID!!

Minimum wage in my state is $7.25 per hour. You pay me that rate and I won't charge you for vacation...how's that?!
CheekyChick 08:17 AM 03-31-2012

The truth is, a QUALITY daycare provide rarely gets a minute to him/herself. I'm sure you know how your son wants your attention when he's home? Well, mutliply that by 16 children. It is a HUGE job to make sure every child feels special, loved, and well cared for.

During nap time is when most of us catch up on paperwork, write daily letters, return phone calls or e-mails (from parents), clean, and prepare snack.
We are LUCKY if we can squeeze in a minute or two to shove down a sandwich. We also don't have the luxury of working parents who can run to Target, meet a friend for lunch, run errands, etc. I miss that.

I agree. I didn't like the quote about quitting your job and raising your own child. YOU are raising your son and I'm sure you would love to be able to stay home with him. I can only imagine the pain it causes you that you can't. I'm sorry.
nannyde 11:09 AM 03-31-2012
Originally Posted by CheekyChick:
The truth is, a QUALITY daycare provide rarely gets a minute to him/herself.
Operating with 16 kids would definitely be some wall to wall work. I've known many providers who operate with less children and have full breaks in the afternoon while the kids nap minus the supervision that comes with sleeping children.

I've never heard "rarely gets a minute to him/herself" as an indicator of QUALITY care. With a reasonable adult to child ratio, careful planning, user friendly set up, well behaved kids, good food, good exercise, and a consistent schedule a quality program can net a good solid mid day break and the pace to offer some minutes to the provider during the day.

To have a full day with only a bit of spare time to swallow down a sandwhich I would have to be paid a TON of money. I would do it but I'd have to double my fee and my staff assistants salary. It would be tough to find the parent who could afford that.
Country Kids 04:21 PM 03-31-2012
Nan,

I had to walk away for a bit and really think about your post. I'm going to be pretty honest in the fact it upset me quite a bit. Its like your saying you can't provide good quality childcare unless you have a break in the day.

You must have the best set up in the country and seriously can't relate to what most people are talking about when they post some of these threads.

Even when its naptime if I get lucky and everyone is sleeping, I'm cleaning, finishing up things from the morning, writing up reports, etc. If I do eat I do it in about a 10 min session and still eat at my desk while working. Are you saying since I don't take the whole 2 hours for lunchtime and watching tv that I don't provide quality care?

I don't have the luxury of an assistance but serve good food,when we can get outside the kids run and get all their energies out, consistent schedules are a must I agree. Still trying to figure out why having all that should give you a solid mid day break. I guess if I did have the assistant I could give them all that I do during my break and take it for myself.

You seem to attach money to alot of the threads. Like this one you said you would have to be paid a TON of money if your break only allowed you to swallow down a sandwich. Why? Parents aren't going to pay you more so that you can take a break. Maybe I'm missunderstanding it but I'm not understanding why money has to be an attachment to getting a break. I have parents who have meetings during lunchtime and instead of getting more money for working through lunch they have to back out the time at the end of the week. No extra for them for working through lunch.

Anyway, I just feel your post was saying since we don't sit during our break time that we don't offer quality care. In a way this post could have gone in "How much break do you get through the day".
nannyde 05:05 PM 03-31-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Nan,

I had to walk away for a bit and really think about your post. I'm going to be pretty honest in the fact it upset me quite a bit. Its like your saying you can't provide good quality childcare unless you have a break in the day.

You must have the best set up in the country and seriously can't relate to what most people are talking about when they post some of these threads.

Even when its naptime if I get lucky and everyone is sleeping, I'm cleaning, finishing up things from the morning, writing up reports, etc. If I do eat I do it in about a 10 min session and still eat at my desk while working. Are you saying since I don't take the whole 2 hours for lunchtime and watching tv that I don't provide quality care?

I don't have the luxury of an assistance but serve good food,when we can get outside the kids run and get all their energies out, consistent schedules are a must I agree. Still trying to figure out why having all that should give you a solid mid day break. I guess if I did have the assistant I could give them all that I do during my break and take it for myself.

You seem to attach money to alot of the threads. Like this one you said you would have to be paid a TON of money if your break only allowed you to swallow down a sandwich. Why? Parents aren't going to pay you more so that you can take a break. Maybe I'm missunderstanding it but I'm not understanding why money has to be an attachment to getting a break. I have parents who have meetings during lunchtime and instead of getting more money for working through lunch they have to back out the time at the end of the week. No extra for them for working through lunch.

Anyway, I just feel your post was saying since we don't sit during our break time that we don't offer quality care. In a way this post could have gone in "How much break do you get through the day".
No way am I saying that if you don't have a two hour break you are not providing quality care. I'm saying that I don't think that HAVING a two hour break in the afternoon means you AREN'T giving quality care.

I do attach money to a lot of threads. I want providers to THINK about the money they receive as a fair compensation for the LABOR of the business in addition to the hard costs of operating. If I have to do ten/eleven hours of straight wall to wall work I'm sure gonna charge more for it then I am if I do nine hours with a two hour break. What business wouldn't?

I said that I WOULD do a fast paced day with only a few minutes to hork down a sandwhich as long as I got paid a princely sum for doing it. Having 16 kids would sure net that here. The most I've had is elevenish and it was a ton of work. It was also a ton of money.

Seriously tho I really DO think that longevity in the business is a higher liklihood when the provider makes sure she has a really good substantial break every day. Child care done well is a hard job emotionally and physically so building your business around a good solid afternoon break WILL net happiness for both providers and the kids they care for.
CheekyChick 06:02 PM 03-31-2012
Nan,

I've never heard "rarely gets a minute to him/herself" as an indicator of QUALITY care.

Yes you have. I said it.

With a reasonable adult to child ratio, careful planning, user friendly set up, well behaved kids, good food, good exercise, and a consistent schedule a quality program can net a good solid mid day break and the pace to offer some minutes to the provider during the day.

I disagree. With 16 children per day, there is ALWAYS tons to do. More parent e-mails, more parent phone calls, more daily logs, more parent letters, more cleaning, and more planning. I could NOT give the quality of care I do if I watched TV during nap time. I choose to stuff down my sandwich and use that 2 hour period to make my DC the best in town. That is why I am full with a looooooong wait list - while others providers in the area are not doing so well.

To have a full day with only a bit of spare time to swallow down a sandwhich I would have to be paid a TON of money. I would do it but I'd have to double my fee and my staff assistants salary. It would be tough to find the parent who could afford that.

From what I've heard, I am the hightest paid in-home daycare in my town.
Country Kids 06:17 PM 03-31-2012
Nan,

I've never heard "rarely gets a minute to him/herself" as an indicator of QUALITY care.

Yes you have. I said it.

With a reasonable adult to child ratio, careful planning, user friendly set up, well behaved kids, good food, good exercise, and a consistent schedule a quality program can net a good solid mid day break and the pace to offer some minutes to the provider during the day.

I disagree. With 16 children per day, there is ALWAYS tons to do. More parent e-mails, more parent phone calls, more daily logs, more parent letters, more cleaning, and more planning. I could NOT give the quality of care I do if I watched TV during nap time. I choose to stuff down my sandwich and use that 2 hour period to make my DC the best in town. That is why I am full with a looooooong wait list - while others providers in the area are not doing so well.

Yes, her waiting list is long. I actually inquired about childcare there for a friend of mine. It would have been part of her baby shower gift to help her find childcare. CheekyChick is in the same area as my friend so I thought perfect. Then I received the dissapointing news from CheekyChick that she has a very long waiting list and I figured the child would be grown before having a spot for them-.
CheekyChick 06:19 PM 03-31-2012
KC,

You and I both know that isn't the case... I would think MOST childcare providers work (in some capacity) during nap time. Plus, you don't have an assistant which means you have to work DOUBLY as hard. I truly don't know how you do it by yourself. You are my hero.

That's silliness. Of course you provide quality care.

Exactly. If you had the luxury of an assistant, you could watch TV during nap time.

I actually took it as... If I was organized, ran a good program, fed my children healthy food, had perfect children, had a consistent schedule, and gave them excercise, that I would have time for a break. I have NO idea how that translates to a break, but it's all good.
CheekyChick 06:23 PM 03-31-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Yes, her waiting list is long. I actually inquired about childcare there for a friend of mine. It would have been part of her baby shower gift to help her find childcare. CheekyChick is in the same area as my friend so I thought perfect. Then I received the dissapointing news from CheekyChick that she has a very long waiting list and I figured the child would be grown before having a spot for them-.
Well, maybe not grown, but possibly 5th or 6th grade. LOL!!! I do wish I had a spot for your friend's baby.
nannyde 07:14 PM 03-31-2012
Nan,

Yes you have. I said it.

Yes with 16 kids under one roof that you are ultimately responsible for you are going to be doing wall to wall start to stop care. I'm saying that there are many quality providers who run a low adult to child ratio and the other indicators I listed and have a substantial break every day. It's absolutely possible to run a great home day care and have a good break daily. The "no break" isn't an indicator of quality. You can have quality with no break (although that would be a hard job) and you can have quality with a good break.
nannyde 07:27 PM 03-31-2012
KC,

You and I both know that isn't the case... I would think MOST childcare providers work (in some capacity) during nap time. Plus, you don't have an assistant which means you have to work DOUBLY as hard. I truly don't know how you do it by yourself. You are my hero.

That's silliness. Of course you provide quality care.

Exactly. If you had the luxury of an assistant, you could watch TV during nap time.

I actually took it as... If I was organized, ran a good program, fed my children healthy food, had perfect children, had a consistent schedule, and gave them excercise, that I would have time for a break. I have NO idea how that translates to a break, but it's all good.
A staff assistant is NOT a luxury. It's a business decision and expense that you have to find clients to support within the child care fee. It isn't bestowed upon you. You have to run a business with enough income to support additional staff just like any other business.

I didn't say once that if you don't sit during your break that you weren't offering a quality program. I've said to the contrary twice now.

The indicators I gave for being able to run a good program AND netting a good solid consistent break daily are the things "I" have done and counselled other providers to do which has netted a great break. If you don't know how these aspects of the business translate into a break then the only thing I can offer you is the writings I have done about each of them over the last coupld of years. The only additional one I can think of is having ample space. I didn't think of that when listing out some of the things that all work together to net a good solid afternoon break.

If you feel they aren't applicable or feel they aren't things you are interested in incoporating then I can't offer much except my disagreement that a no break child care is necessary for a quality program.
wdmmom 09:52 AM 04-02-2012

I'm sorry that you are "offended" by Nan's post. I think you misconstrued what she was trying to say. I think ANYONE is capable of providing good, quality care. I think the care is even greater if we (as providers) are given at least a break to sit back and recharge. Providers are the first people that tend to care for everyone else in the home rather than themselves. We nibble, our diets are not the best and most of us probably don't get the rest each afternoon or go to bed at night when we should to get a full recharge. No recharge WILL lead to a burn out!

Set up only has part to do with it but yes, the right set up can make for an ideal job setting. Lack of space, not dedicated space or floor area makes it complicated. Who wants to have to do more work each day?! I surely don't want to have to set up and tear down pack and plays each day. That's why I don't. That's also why I don't offer daily sheets. It's more work to keep track of who pooped and who ate when. All children are changed and fed at the same time each day. Why?! Because it's easier. Anything that is less taxing on me, the better.

I do the same. I have 5 children of my own. During nap I am preparing a snack for the DCK's, prepping dinner, doing laundry, running the vacuum, sweeping, mopping, reading the newspaper, catching up on a TV program or enjoying a few minutes on Daycare.com. I don't take a whole 2 hours for lunch or watching tv and yet I still provide quality care as I'm sure you do the same. I'm sure there isn't a one of us that sits around during the entire naptime doing nothing. Providers have to keep up the momentum. What I'm saying is, there is no reason for us not to be able to park ourselves on the couch, enjoy a salad and turn on the TV to catch the afternoon news (or whatever). I also don't allow my children to get up or be up at naptime. My youngest DCK is 8 months. She's been our routine since she was about 5 months. She takes a full afternoon nap along with the rest of the kids.

Having an assistant only plays a minor roll in our daycare day. I still serve good food (today it was meatloaf, buttered bread, green beans, fruit cocktail and milk), we went outside for a nice stroll through the neighborhood, we remain on a consistent schedule each and everyday. I still get an afternoon break and my assistant isn't here during naptime. That is her break as well. She gets 2.5 hours to run her errands, schedule doctors appointments, eat lunch, go get her car washed, etc. I still do tons of work myself but I dedicate it out. Mondays are laundry day. Thursdays are my deep house clean day. Tuesdays and Wednesdays are my days to be sure I get the relaxation time I need during naptime too. Of course I can't sit still so if I get up to do something, I do it for so long and walk away.

Everyone knows that money talks. For example. I have a 3 year old DCG. She only stays 1 afternoon a week because she is in preschool the other days. DCM wanted asked if she could stay up at naptime or have books or watch a movie, etc. My response was simple. Children are required to lay down. They are not required to sleep. During this time, I do not offer toys, books or movies. If you want her to have these things, she will need direct care versus indirect care and it will cost more money to provide 1 on 1 care. Then she wanted to know if her bill would go down since she wouldn't be here 2.5 hours a week. NOPE. My fees are flat regardless of hours. It was a win/win for me. I still have the client and the DCM made changes to her schedule that now allows DCG to not be here over the naptime 1 day per week.

[b]I don't think the post said that at all. I think we all SHOULD be taking a few minutes to ourselves each day. Even if it's a half hour, we all deserve that much.
JenNJ 12:00 PM 04-02-2012

your choice of words just struck a cord with me--I found it condescending and insulting to me as a parent (telling me to go "raise my own").
I agree with this 100%.
JenNJ 12:14 PM 04-02-2012
I need to touch on the providers going head to head here over break times, assistants, and what duties they have to do each day. It's like comparing apples to eggs to trees to jets. Every program is different, every provider is different, and every group of kids is different.

How busy you are each day has no bearing on the quality of the daycare. I know busy providers who run crap programs because they are unorganized. I know others who are super organized and have luxurious 2 hour real breaks each day (like myself). And everything in between.

It is so silly for one person to declare that "this is what it is" when it comes to daycare. There is no one right way to do this. In fact, here are hundreds of right ways to do this and only a few wrong ways.

The bottom line is that some providers do this for extra spending money, some are the primary or sole breadwinner, some do it just to help others out. None of those choices are wrong! They are PERSONAL CHOICES. There is no daycare guru. This is the one business where success is not measured in dollars.
Blackcat31 01:07 PM 04-02-2012
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
I need to touch on the providers going head to head here over break times, assistants, and what duties they have to do each day. It's like comparing apples to eggs to trees to jets. Every program is different, every provider is different, and every group of kids is different.

How busy you are each day has no bearing on the quality of the daycare. I know busy providers who run crap programs because they are unorganized. I know others who are super organized and have luxurious 2 hour real breaks each day (like myself). And everything in between.

It is so silly for one person to declare that "this is what it is" when it comes to daycare. There is no one right way to do this. In fact, here are hundreds of right ways to do this and only a few wrong ways.

The bottom line is that some providers do this for extra spending money, some are the primary or sole breadwinner, some do it just to help others out. None of those choices are wrong! They are PERSONAL CHOICES. There is no daycare guru. This is the one business where success is not measured in dollars.

Tags:off days, sick pay, time off, vacation
Reply Up