Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>USDA and Choking Hazards
Shell 10:13 AM 09-12-2014
I'm not on the food program, but was recently told I need training in usda/choking hazards. I am finding resources and information, but not an actual training. Does anyone have an idea where I can obtain this training? Thanks for any help!
Blackcat31 11:25 AM 09-12-2014
Who said that?

I've been on a USDA sponsored food program since I first opened 20+ years ago and I've never had specific training on choking.

We cover choking in infant- child CPR/first aid but not for the food program.
Heidi 12:38 PM 09-12-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Who said that?

I've been on a USDA sponsored food program since I first opened 20+ years ago and I've never had specific training on choking.

We cover choking in infant- child CPR/first aid but not for the food program.
same here...
SignMeUp 12:44 PM 09-12-2014
Huh. I wonder if it's at all related to the new FP handbook we were given. I think I posted about it here a few months ago.
Basically, any uncooked fruit or vegetable is supposed to be in 1/2" or smaller dice, or mashed. For children under 4.
KiddieCahoots 12:53 PM 09-12-2014
I swear I did a calendar training on that with my food program.
You know.....how they have you complete 6hrs of their trainings that they send to you via mail?
grandmom 03:21 PM 09-12-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
Huh. I wonder if it's at all related to the new FP handbook we were given. I think I posted about it here a few months ago.
Basically, any uncooked fruit or vegetable is supposed to be in 1/2" or smaller dice, or mashed. For children under 4.
Are you kidding me? 4? For pity sake. 1/2". I'm beyond belief.
SignMeUp 06:06 PM 09-12-2014
Originally Posted by grandmom:
Are you kidding me? 4? For pity sake. 1/2". I'm beyond belief.
I know, right? We will send them to school not knowing how to chew
And would you like some mashed cantaloupe? How about some chili with mashed kidney beans?
Shell 04:34 AM 09-13-2014
It's in my regulations (ma)that we need some kind of training, yet all the "suggested" websites are just links to information...no formal trainings. I guess they basically want to ensure that those not on the food program know how to balance a meal. I agree, BC, we do cover the choking in CPR- but the link just says to cut grapes, etc in half, - common sense stuff. I guess I am going to just print out the info and say I read it?
itlw8 07:00 AM 09-14-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
I wonder if that is an added state of sponsor rule because it is not in our handbook
KiddieCahoots 10:07 AM 09-14-2014
Originally Posted by Shell:
It's in my regulations (ma)that we need some kind of training, yet all the "suggested" websites are just links to information...no formal trainings. I guess they basically want to ensure that those not on the food program know how to balance a meal. I agree, BC, we do cover the choking in CPR- but the link just says to cut grapes, etc in half, - common sense stuff. I guess I am going to just print out the info and say I read it?
I'm in MA too. I'm guessing that they are assuming you are signed on with a food program, cause I checked, and that's where I had my training.
My food program is Yours For Children, Inc., try calling them @ 1-800-222-2731, maybe they can give you more info.
Shell 08:40 AM 09-19-2014
Just an FYI for anyone that might need this info: the training is called, " serving adequate foods in Childcare" through the university of Mississippi. It's worth one hour of training.
CraftyMom 09:24 AM 09-19-2014
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots:
I'm in MA too. I'm guessing that they are assuming you are signed on with a food program, cause I checked, and that's where I had my training.
My food program is Yours For Children, Inc., try calling them @ 1-800-222-2731, maybe they can give you more info.
Me too
Tags:choking hazard, safety
Reply Up