Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do I Do This??? Help
MissLisa08 06:28 PM 06-25-2020
So I have my policy handbook that goes into detail of my child care rules and all. And I have my contract which is for them to sign. So how can I get what I need on the contract without writing it all out again but also so I have their signature showing they agree ? Do you say " see policy handbook" ?? If anyone can help me with this or a simpler way of doing it that would help. Thanking in advance for the help
Snowmom 07:12 PM 06-25-2020
I used to have 2 (handbook and also a contract).
I had them sign the contract and also sign a handbook release that states they received it and will follow all policies as outlined.

Now, I just have them sign the handbook. If anything needs adjusting or personalizing, I write up an addendum.
MissLisa08 07:30 PM 06-25-2020
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
I used to have 2 (handbook and also a contract).
I had them sign the contract and also sign a handbook release that states they received it and will follow all policies as outlined.

Now, I just have them sign the handbook. If anything needs adjusting or personalizing, I write up an addendum.
Nice! I'll add that part onto the contract
jenboo 10:44 PM 06-25-2020
they sign both of mine
Cat Herder 04:18 AM 06-26-2020
Are you asking how to add things to your contract without having to have the parents agree and sign? So updating without their informed consent?

I may not be completely understanding your question.
284878 05:30 AM 06-26-2020
With my first family I had a contract with policy combined. When I realized things were not going well and needed to be changed, I rewrote the whole thing highlighting the changes. But then I had to print two copies and have the client sign one without her refusing. She did sign but that also meant that I worked for free while she read through the whole thing.

I later decided after reading one of Tom Copeland's blogs to separate them. My contract terms state that they agree to my policies and to any changes. Of they don't agree with the new policy the have the right to enforce their two week notice. (Which I had a client do)

From one of Toms post ..

At the very least, your contract should contain these four basic elements:

Names of the parties: your name, the parents’ names, the names of the children

Terms of the contract: There are two terms in a contract that are enforceable in court –

Time – The hours and days you are open

Money – How much parents owe you for your services: when payment is due, late fees, registration fees, field trip fees, etc.

Termination procedure: How will the contract end

Signatures: Both parents (if around) and yours
AmyKidsCo 12:54 PM 06-26-2020
Only a contract holds up in court, that's why you need the things Tom Copeland lists as essential (time & money). You can have the parents sign that they'll follow the handbook, but it's not enforceable in court.
MissLisa08 10:31 PM 06-26-2020
[

Thank you! I guess the only thing to put in contrast is the most important. In my old contract I had a few detailed stuff like sick policy and vacation etc. But I never had a policy handbook. Now I'm trying to make my policy handbook and re-write my contract. I was unsure if I should still point out important things like sick and vacation on my contract. But I guess keep it simple with what you said.
MissLisa08 10:37 PM 06-26-2020

MissLisa08 10:39 PM 06-26-2020
Originally Posted by 284878:
With my first family I had a contract with policy combined. When I realized things were not going well and needed to be changed, I rewrote the whole thing highlighting the changes. But then I had to print two copies and have the client sign one without her refusing. She did sign but that also meant that I worked for free while she read through the whole thing.

I later decided after reading one of Tom Copeland's blogs to separate them. My contract terms state that they agree to my policies and to any changes. Of they don't agree with the new policy the have the right to enforce their two week notice. (Which I had a client do)

From one of Toms post ..

At the very least, your contract should contain these four basic elements:

Names of the parties: your name, the parents’ names, the names of the children

Terms of the contract: There are two terms in a contract that are enforceable in court –

Time – The hours and days you are open

Money – How much parents owe you for your services: when payment is due, late fees, registration fees, field trip fees, etc.

Termination procedure: How will the contract end

Signatures: Both parents (if around) and yours

Thank you!
MissLisa08 10:41 PM 06-26-2020
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Only a contract holds up in court, that's why you need the things Tom Copeland lists as essential (time & money). You can have the parents sign that they'll follow the handbook, but it's not enforceable in court.

So anything I want to hold up in court I should add on contract 👍 thank you!
MissLisa08 10:46 PM 06-26-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Are you asking how to add things to your contract without having to have the parents agree and sign? So updating without their informed consent?

I may not be completely understanding your question.

I was just wondering how to get parents to sign agreeing to my policy handbook without having to add everything to a contract as well. I understand now that certain things like price and hours are contract worthy.
Jo123ABC 07:45 PM 06-27-2020
What if you have a contract with everything (10pages) and don't bother with a policy handbook?
AmyKidsCo 12:51 PM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by MissLisa08:
So anything I want to hold up in court I should add on contract 👍 thank you!
Yes, but I think only time and money can hold up in court. For instance, if you have a No "dope and drop" policy and the parents do it anyway, the court won't help. But if you call them on it and they leave without notice & payment listed in the contract you can go to court for the payment.
Snowmom 12:58 PM 06-29-2020
It depends on how your contract is worded.

If you contain everything that a contract needs to contain but refer to it as your handbook and contract (like I do), it is 100% enforceable in court.
MissLisa08 08:22 PM 06-29-2020
Thank you all. This part of running a childcare can sometimes be confusing. Trying to make sure it's all covered. I'm glad I can come on here and get help.
Blackcat31 07:12 AM 06-30-2020
The top of my contract says:

"I have read and agree to the statements and policies outlined in the ABC Child Care handbook. I fully understand all rates, payments, late fees, and scheduling procedures._______.

I was given ample time to read the handbook and was provided contact info should I have any questions. I understand that by signing this contract I agree to abide by all rules and policies set forth in the handbook. _______.

Failure on my part to fully read the handbook does not give valid excuse to disregard any policies and rules and I acknowledge that I can be terminated immediately for violation of any or all of ABC Child Care's policies. ______."

Parents must initial after each paragraph.

After that section my contract states child's name, date of enrollment and birth date as well as payment date and amount of payment as well as full/part time status.

Parent signs and dates as do I and we both get a copy.
MissLisa08 07:18 AM 07-02-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
The top of my contract says:

"I have read and agree to the statements and policies outlined in the ABC Child Care handbook. I fully understand all rates, payments, late fees, and scheduling procedures._______.

I was given ample time to read the handbook and was provided contact info should I have any questions. I understand that by signing this contract I agree to abide by all rules and policies set forth in the handbook. _______.

Failure on my part to fully read the handbook does not give valid excuse to disregard any policies and rules and I acknowledge that I can be terminated immediately for violation of any or all of ABC Child Care's policies. ______."

Parents must initial after each paragraph.

After that section my contract states child's name, date of enrollment and birth date as well as payment date and amount of payment as well as full/part time status.

Parent signs and dates as do I and we both get a copy.
Awesome! Thank you this makes sense. Much more simpler then what I was trying to do.
Tags:business management, contract - clear, contract - renewal, ethics
Reply Up