Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Who Works Harder?
dave4him 11:35 AM 09-26-2012
Had a conversation with my wife, again, about who works harder during the day. She leaves for her Human resource job at 7 and lately hasnt been back till after 8, hopefully that changes after Christmas. Meanwhile i stay home and try to maintain a busy household of children all week long and work on the weekend. Of course while im standing behind a cash machine at Lowes, she is trying to keep up with the three of them. So lets face it, she wins.... barely
cheerfuldom 11:39 AM 09-26-2012
Originally Posted by dave4him:
Had a conversation with my wife, again, about who works harder during the day. She leaves for her Human resource job at 7 and lately hasnt been back till after 8, hopefully that changes after Christmas. Meanwhile i stay home and try to maintain a busy household of children all week long and work on the weekend. Of course while im standing behind a cash machine at Lowes, she is trying to keep up with the three of them. So lets face it, she wins.... barely
we have had this discussion numerous times. My hubby has a very labor intensive job. He works outside all day in dangerous conditions so physically his job is very taxing. But I think I have a harder job mentally. The mental exhaustion, noise fatigue and monotony is what wears me out with my job. Most of the time, he holds up better because all he needs is a hot shower and a nap. Recovering from stress or mental exhaustion can be harder I think.
Blackcat31 11:41 AM 09-26-2012
My DH works way harder than I do although I work longer hours.

I do a million little tiny things a day without being able to concentrate on one thing but all are important.

He does basically the same thing every day with a ton of concentration required but again, all important in the long run.

In the grand scheme of it all, I think that there are hard parts to every job and easy parts too. I think it is all in how you view it.

Work is work. As long as the job gets done, everyone is happy. Of course on our days off we are REALLY happy!
Sugar Magnolia 11:51 AM 09-26-2012
My husband and I run our center together, so we BOTH work equally hard. Most days. Believe me, if one thinks the other is not working as hard, it is not a fun ride home.
cheerfuldom 11:55 AM 09-26-2012
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
My husband and I run our center together, so we BOTH work equally hard. Most days. Believe me, if one thinks the other is not working as hard, it is not a fun ride home.
yeah I can visually that ride home LOL

Its pretty unique for a husband and wife to work together and in the childcare field.
clep 12:12 PM 09-26-2012
My husband and I don't compare who works harder. We do our best to work together and support each other in both of our jobs, picking up the slack for each other when one of us is feeling overwhelmed.
momofsix 12:14 PM 09-26-2012
I work harder than my husband physically. Both of our jobs can be draining mentally. Sometimes he does my job when he's around and there are times that I help him do his. His work is something I could never ever ever do though, so I guess he wins!
Really though, it isn't about who is working harder-we're working as a team (but separately) doing what we're each called to do and doing our part.
daycare 12:21 PM 09-26-2012
I dont keep score, but I do feel that I work much harder than he does at times........

He works for the fire dept. works 14 days a month. he works 48 hour shifts. Sometimes nothing happens and then there are times he is fighting fires for hours on end. On his days off he plays with friends all day and some times helps me. Usually he is my cook.

He does have to take my kids to and from school on his days off, but in between all of that he either plays golf or works out.

I work 6 days a week, so in the end I am the one most exhausted all of the time.......
rhymia1 12:48 PM 09-26-2012
Originally Posted by clep:
My husband and I don't compare who works harder. We do our best to work together and support each other in both of our jobs, picking up the slack for each other when one of us is feeling overwhelmed.

Although I admit, then when I first started it took my husband a while to understand that I was just venting, not trying to make it seem as if I worked harder than he did.
laundrymom 12:50 PM 09-26-2012
We don't keep score at who 'works' harder. We focus on positive. Not seeing who does more. I couldn't do his, he couldn't do mine. But as for who works harder..... If its an issue, maybe adjust things until it isn't? I don't feel as exhausted at the end of the day as he looks. I'm not as frazzled after a visit to a children's activity. We both have our strengths. And our shortcomings. I guess I don't see why it's a ' I work harder than you do' situation.
clep 12:52 PM 09-26-2012
Originally Posted by rhymia1:

Although I admit, then when I first started it took my husband a while to understand that I was just venting, not trying to make it seem as if I worked harder than he did.
Actually we both had that same experience early on that you had. Once we realized that we were both venting about our challenges, we just sit and listened to the other, waited till the rant was over and asked if input and brainstorming some problem solving together was required or if the rant was enough. That was the beginning of us being able to work together.
Meyou 01:08 PM 09-26-2012
My dh says I work harder. He has a very demanding physical job but after spending a few weeks at home with me using his vacation he said hands down that I work harder both physically and mentally. He stopped complaining about how early I go to bed at the same time.
Reply Up