Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCB Doesn't Nap Well
Oneluckymom 01:31 PM 10-02-2012
My DCB 2.5 years hasnt been napping well for about 3 weeks. He used to be a great sleeper and averaged 2.5 hours. Now he hardly makes it 45 minutes and he's up again. Ive tried taking him back to bed and he usually sleeps again for about 20 minutes or not at all. He is still tired. What do I do? Is there hope?
Country Kids 01:53 PM 10-02-2012
There might not be-. I had all of mine-all 7 but one) decided not to nap anymore.

I'm in tears most days during naps because I'm not getting anybreak at all in 11 hours. This is when they decide they want to sing every song we have ever learned, recite abc, nursery rhymes, etc.

Then about 10 minutes before naps over they will fall asleep. I wake them up though because we have things that need to be done in the afternoon. They had their chance I figure to sleep.

My parents are feeling bad though because they know I get no break during the day. By pickup times I'm starting to look very tired!
Oneluckymom 01:58 PM 10-02-2012
UUUGGGHH....I'm so depressed!! I feel for you Country kids. I hope that wont be my future!
Lilbutterflie 02:05 PM 10-02-2012
The best advice I can give is to have lots of outdoor time if possible in the morning. Get them active, and get their energy out! Nap time right after lunch works best here. Try lots of white noise with a box fan or CD. If they wake up, they must lay down and stay quiet until rest time is over. Sometimes they'll go back to sleep, sometimes they won't.

Children often go through phases. Phases of needing less sleep, more sleep, less food, more food, etc... It's normal. Don't be discouraged yet!!
rhymia1 02:07 PM 10-02-2012
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
The best advice I can give is to have lots of outdoor time if possible in the morning. Get them active, and get their energy out! Nap time right after lunch works best here. Try lots of white noise with a box fan or CD. If they wake up, they must lay down and stay quiet until rest time is over. Sometimes they'll go back to sleep, sometimes they won't.

Children often go through phases. Phases of needing less sleep, more sleep, less food, more food, etc... It's normal. Don't be discouraged yet!!
This is what we do. We have a playground that is about one mile away from the house. When I have kids that are getting crazy with nap time, we take a walk to the playground. I bring the wagon but it's only for the babies, everyone else walks. I love playground days.
Country Kids 02:11 PM 10-02-2012
We are outside for 1.5-2 hours a day! They still won't sleep or at least not for very long.

Mine also are staying up till regular bedtimes also. They aren't passing out early like you would think. I have some that are going about 15 hours a day!
cheerfuldom 06:18 PM 10-02-2012
I have a two year old that is on a nap strike. I have all the kids in separate rooms and she stays in her PNP for the whole nap time. If she is awake, she still stays in there. If she is cranky later, I put her for another nap.
Blackcat31 08:03 AM 10-03-2012
I have one the same age who has suddenly started getting up in the middle of nap/rest time and wanting to stay up or get up and play. NOT happening since he is only 2 yrs old and will sleep normally up to 2 hours each nap/rest period.

What I do is go lay him back down, tell him it isn't time to get up yet and to rest for a little while longer. He isn't a screamer or cryer so he is fairly quiet so it usually doesn't disturb the other kids much.

Sometimes I just "shhh" him and point back to his mat/pillow and he will lay himself back down. 99.9% of the time, he goes right back to sleep.

I wish I had advice for you other than continue putting him back down or telling him it isn't time to get up yet and hope that with a little rinsing and repeating, he will stary doing it...and quietly I hope.

Hang in there, I think sleep issues are pretty common at this age as I hear alot of my DCM's who have 2-3 yr olds talk about their children waking in the middle of the night when they haven't done it in a long while so I definitely think it is an age thing.
Oneluckymom 08:03 AM 10-03-2012
DC Mom came in this morning and said she may take him back to the dr. She thinks that his ears may be bothering him at nap. However, he's never complained about any pain in the ears.

She is always on top of everything...very responsible parent!

I'm hoping he naps better today. Actually, I thought about it yesterday and realized we are doing more curriculum and art stuff and not getting out like we used to in the AM. This may be at the root of this nap issue.
Reply Up