Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Another Thread Got Me Thinking About This.....
crazydaycarelady 01:33 PM 11-01-2012
Do you get yourself ready while the dckids are in your care?

I don't primp much just to be with the kids all day, but sometimes I have somewhere to go after I get off. I put in 11 hours days and get off at 5:30 and alot of times I have to be somewhere at 6:00pm. It's not like I can get ready before my day starts, or during my lunch break!

In that case I will bring some clothes and make-up into the dc bathroom and get ready while I have the kids there. I have never felt there was anything wrong with this but in this other thread a dcmom was acting like it was neglectful. I can see/or hear the kids the whole time I am getting ready which is what reguations require. I have never had a parent complain either and they can obviously tell I have gotten ready because they will comment on how nice I look. I clean up well! LOL

I am talking maybe 15 minutes tops as a time frame. Not showering or washing hair, just changing, combing hair, applying make-up. Do you as providers think this is neglectful?
Country Kids 01:38 PM 11-01-2012
I had to do this yesterday and my kids were amazingly good!

I try to do it though before anyone gets here so that its just done and over with.

I know of some providers that shower and that once kids get there and that would scare me to death. I started showering at night when my kids were little so that my hubs could watch them. I can't imagine trying to do with with dckiddos there.
Heidi 01:39 PM 11-01-2012
yes, I do this sometimes. I usually do it at the end of nap. Since one little guy naps in my room, I just go down toward the end of nap, do my quick clothes change & makeup while he's still in his pnp, and then go get the others up.

I've never taken a shower during nap time (although there are times I would love to...almost as good as a nap!), but I have washed my hair in the kitchen sink during nap occasionally. Last week I even colored it myself during nap one day, but I only had one kiddo here.

Like you, most days I don't spend a lot of time primping, but I don't like going to meetings or a school function looking like a daycare provider on duty, with my hair a mess and spit up on my shirt.
Willow 01:42 PM 11-01-2012
I usually wash my face, reapply mascara and smooth my hair during naptime because depending on the day I can look about as bad as a train wreck and I don't want to scare parents at pick up time

I see nothing wrong with it, especially if you have somewhere to be afterward.

If one of my parents did complain about it I'd ask if they prefer me closing early regularly so I have time to get ready over me doing it during a bit of free play.
daycare 01:51 PM 11-01-2012
If I have to, I will do it during naps. I just bring a small mirror with me and sit by the kids....

I don't dress up hardly ever.....I always wear track suits and hats daily....you should see the amount of hair that I have...

Plus OP- you are probably reading this from a mother who is jealous. Perhaps when her DCP got made up she looked amazing, so the mom got jealous and this is how she handled it....Yes immature..

a few years ago my silly hubby got a great idea to show one of the dcds a pic of me from a fitness comp that I was in.....YEAH the dcd showed it to the wife and after that she hated me and treated me horribly.....NOt too sure what the hubby said to her when he showed her, but I was super mad at my husband...

BTW we used to have a workout blog and without my permission my husband posted the pic there. The DCD was a fitness guru too and my husband shared the site with him not thinking about it...But I still wanted to kick his butt..............
bluemoose_mom 01:52 PM 11-01-2012
I don't consider it neglectful at all.

I sometimes finish my make up after my first dck gets here. Less than 10 minutes. She plays within hearing (within regulation) but usually is within eye site. She gets here right before 7:00, sometimes I'm completely ready, sometimes not. If I have to get ready more than what I do in the morning (rarely), I will do it at nap time.

I would not shower while the kids are here, under my supervision. I did one time while my hubby watched the kids but that was only because I overslept. Won't be happening again, I was miserable until I could shower.
EchoMom 07:46 PM 11-01-2012
I would not take a full shower while the kids are here just because you never know if someone might decide to pick up really early randomly. But I have on several occassions felt so disgustingly dirty that I just couldn't stand it any longer and wash my hair only in the bathtub while they are sleeping and the 4 year old non napper is on the computer. Rarely I start to fix up at the end of the day- flat iron, make up, brush teeth, that's about it. The kids usually watch me they think it's interesting. Either way my house is small and I can hear them always and just peek at them often to make sure I know what they're doing every 5 minutes. But, it's rare as I usually look like crap out and about just as much as I do at home.... I really really should put myself together more often! Really.
EchoMom 07:48 PM 11-01-2012
And I agree with what a PP said. If a parent were mad I'd say ok, then in that case I'll be closing 30minutes earlier, will that work for you??? LOL, I'm sure she'd shut right up!

I don't think anyone in their right mind would think anything of it. When you work until that late and long, when else are you going to get personal things done? Of course I run the dishes, do some laundry, fix up, walk the dog (with the kids of course), check the mail, take out trash, etc if I need to during the day!
Crazy8 08:11 PM 11-01-2012
not a shower or anything major like that but to go in the bathroom and freshen up my make up sure. Usually if I have to change clothes I just do it the second the last kid leaves - it would feel weird to have them picked up with me in dressier clothes!
daycarediva 03:45 AM 11-02-2012
I do it at nap, that way it's a quick makeup and hair touch up before I go out the door. It's ALWAYS on a Friday as that is my date night with hubby or girl's night out if hubby is working still.

I have one DCM who is just a jealous brat and eveytime she picks up she always comments on how it must be nice to have a night out (she has two days a week OFF as her kids are with me and she isn't working) and about how nice my clothes and shoes are, how thin I am (she kept saying 'lucky' until I told her my workout routine) etc.
Scout 05:36 AM 11-02-2012
My old provider had a second job that started as soon as the last kid left. I never had a problem with her getting ready while my child was there.
Meeko 05:49 AM 11-02-2012
Any parent who has a problem with it, needs a reality check. Day care providers have lives too.

As long as the kids are within earshot/eyesight and the provider can intervene if needed....then there is nothing wrong with getting ready.

What do parents do when they are home on the weekends with their kids? Never go in the bathroom for more than a second? Never get ready for anything?

Day care providers juggle many tasks just like parents do.
countrymom 07:03 AM 11-02-2012
if I have to go somewhere then I get ready at nap time. I'm lucky that my odd comes home from school at nap time so if I have to I can jump in the shower.
rhymia1 07:03 AM 11-02-2012
I try to be ready for the day before the kids arrive. When I started providing child care, I decided to treat this like any other job I've ever had. So far, this works well for me. BUT my hours are much less than most of yours, so this is doable. That said, I don't see the big deal of getting ready/putting on makeup during nap time - I assume all of the children are napping/lying down and are being monitored per regs...
I did know a provider who was providing round the clock/weekend care, and she would actually shower while the kids were napping. Not something I would ever be comfortable with, but her families were so grateful to have "off" hours avalible to them that they didn't care.
Meeko 09:24 AM 11-02-2012
Originally Posted by rhymia1:
I try to be ready for the day before the kids arrive. When I started providing child care, I decided to treat this like any other job I've ever had. So far, this works well for me. BUT my hours are much less than most of yours, so this is doable. That said, I don't see the big deal of getting ready/putting on makeup during nap time - I assume all of the children are napping/lying down and are being monitored per regs...
I did know a provider who was providing round the clock/weekend care, and she would actually shower while the kids were napping. Not something I would ever be comfortable with, but her families were so grateful to have "off" hours avalible to them that they didn't care.
I am always completely ready in the mornings before I open my daycare...showered, hair done, makeup etc.

I am talking about needing to be ready to run out the door at closing to go to concerts/appointments etc. I need to get ready. I have help now and I just turn things over to my son and husband....but when I did daycare by myself, I just got ready while keeping an eye and ear open for the kids. No shower...just hair and makeup and a change of outfit.
Just like any Mom would do.
Tags:attire
Reply Up