Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Closed Monday or Wed for Christmas?
kitykids3 10:18 AM 11-27-2012
This year since Christmas is on a Tuesday, are any of you closing on Monday or Wednesday? If so, which?
Usually I close at 3 on Christmas Eve and I am closed Christmas, but that just seems kind of weird this year.
Blackcat31 10:20 AM 11-27-2012
I take a week off between Christmas and New Years but in years past when I only closed for the holiday, I would close at 1:00 on Christmas Eve, closed ALL of Christmas Day and the day after so I had some time with just my family.

My kids also appreciated an extra day off so they could play with all the fun things Santa brought them.
mom2many 10:21 AM 11-27-2012
I have always closed the 24, 25, & 26, even before I took them as paid holidays.
Our family celebrates on the 24 & 25 and I always needed the 26th to recover!
AnneCordelia 10:31 AM 11-27-2012
This year I'm taking the 25 & 26 as paid holidays (26 is Boxing day in Canada...a stat holiday). I'm taking the 24, 27, 28 as unpaid vacation.
SilverSabre25 10:40 AM 11-27-2012
BOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you tell that I'm excited?

I just squandered my first 4-day weekend in a long, long time by being horrendously sick for the entirety of it *sigh*

I don't usually take Christmas Eve off, but did this year because I had a leftover paid day off and wanted to use it :P
mema 10:49 AM 11-27-2012
Neither. I close at 3pm on Christmas Eve and am open on the 26th. Typically I don't have anyone that needs the 24th, but this year I have one that needs a half day, so we will be heading back from our weekend Christmas early. I should have just closed I guess. Oh well, it will be a pj and movie day
sharlan 10:50 AM 11-27-2012
I'm closing on Monday.
Texasjeepgirl 10:57 AM 11-27-2012
I have in my PAID HOLIDAY LIST

Christmas Eve Christmas Day and December 26...

I also list New Year's EVE and NEW YEAR'S DAY...

The only days left were Thursday and Friday, December 27 and 28.

I debated for months about whether to 'give back' December 26...and be open those 3 days... 26, 27 and 28...

But... In the end...and after consulting with numerous other providers in my area... the majority of them ALWAYS close the week between Christmas and New Year's.. PAID...
So.. I took the 27 and 28... call them vacation days... call them personal days...
Either way... I will be closed 11 days including the weekends...
This will be the longest stretch of vacation time I've had since I gave birth to my youngest daughter... 18 years ago.

Just a suggestion... but.. if you are going to choose one or the other...
I'd close Monday and Tuesday... Christmas EVE and Christmas Day...
rather than be open Monday.. and then close down Tuesday and Wednesday...
That's just me of course...
I always look at the way to stretch out the weekend... without interruption.
Of course some people would rather be closed the day after to have a 'clean up day'... so.?

I actually have in my policies that IF a holiday falls on a Tuesday.. my daycare will also be closed Monday... IF a holiday falls on Thursday.. I will be closed Friday...
Basically the only two holidays that this would be relevant is 4th of July.. and Thanksgiving ...
This past summer 4th of July fell on Wednesday... and I did close only that day.. seemed kind of weird to do it.. but.. that date is paid by the assistance program that I accept.. so I closed...

crazydaycarelady 11:07 AM 11-27-2012
I take the whole week also but if I had to choose I'd go with Monday and have a 4 day weekend. Some of your kids may be absent the day after which would be a bonus!
MN Mom 11:09 AM 11-27-2012
I'm closing @ 4:30pm on Friday December 22nd and will re-open on January 2nd! IM SO EXCITED FOR MY VACATION!!!!
littlemissmuffet 11:17 AM 11-27-2012
Originally Posted by amberln30:
This year since Christmas is on a Tuesday, are any of you closing on Monday or Wednesday? If so, which?
Usually I close at 3 on Christmas Eve and I am closed Christmas, but that just seems kind of weird this year.
I ALWAYS close Christmas Eve and the day after Christmas, however, if for some reason I didn't this would be a year I would because I don't like closing for one or two days in the middle of the week.

Every September I start planning my days off for the upcoming year and hand out a yearly calandar in January for all my parents to plan around. This way, I don't need to see just a few weeks in advance that "Oh, Christmas is a Tuesday this year, I really should have closed on Monday..."
I like to give my parents as much notice as possible for vacation/holiday closures and I feel the best way to do this is to look at the year ahead and provide a yearly schedule outlining those plans.
Country Kids 11:32 AM 11-27-2012
In September I do my yearly calendar for major time off.

I will be closed Monday/Tuesday-Dec. 24/Dec. 25, then the following Monday/Tuesday-Dec. 30/Jan. 1st.

I'm waiting for the sun to come back out to take any vacation time off.

The last two vacations we planned someone was sick both times so we couldn't go. I think planning something in the middle of summer will be alot safer!
BumbleBee 11:34 AM 11-27-2012
I'm closed on Monday and Tuesday. I won't be traveling & am just having a small Christmas dinner w/my mom so I didn't feel it necessary to close on Wed. If I was traveling or having loads of people over I would've closed Wed.
Willow 11:42 AM 11-27-2012
My daycare parents and I all agreed it was a weird week too, so I just took the whole week plus new years eve and new years day.

I think all total it works out to 12 days and I am soooo excited lol
Thetotspot 11:59 AM 11-27-2012
Im scheduled to be closed monday and tuesday. Looking at the responses i realize it never occurred to me that the kids would rather be home playing with toys from christmas. This is my first year and im still learning. I am going to keep close eye on kids actions the day after christmas and decide whether i should change this next year. Also obviously my kids will want to play with their stuff but instead they will be stuck at the daycare. Cant believe i didnt think about that. Lol
Blackcat31 12:16 PM 11-27-2012
Originally Posted by Willow:
My daycare parents and I all agreed it was a weird week too, so I just took the whole week plus new years eve and new years day.

I think all total it works out to 12 days and I am soooo excited lol
I agree...it was a weird week with how the holiday days actually fell. I took the whole week off (Dec 24-28) but then thought it was odd to be open Monday, New Year's Eve only to be closed again on Tuesday New Years Day so I closed on New Year's Eve too but at no charge to parents.

I am excited too about having that many days off and am praying for snow so we can do some snowmobiling during that time off.

Other wise, I get restless and kind of look forward to going back to work.
Willow 12:26 PM 11-27-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I am excited too about having that many days off and am praying for snow so we can do some snowmobiling during that time off.

Other wise, I get restless and kind of look forward to going back to work.
I will be praying for good ice out on the lakes

Too much downtime and I too begin to miss the chaos.

Being gluttons for punishment should be considered a legitimate mental illness that mandates annual vacations to tropical destinations and free wine "prescriptions" to utilize as needed
Blackcat31 12:31 PM 11-27-2012
Originally Posted by Willow:
Being gluttons for punishment should be considered a legitimate mental illness that mandates annual vacations to tropical destinations and free wine "prescriptions" to utilize as needed

tenderhearts 12:32 PM 11-27-2012
Since Christmas is Tuesday I took Monday and Tuesday off, I really wanted to do the day after too but I felt I shouldn't, well now I really regret it, I'm thinking about doing it anyways since I think I have only 2 kids here anyways.
Michelle 01:00 PM 11-27-2012
I am taking the whole week off paid,my only paid vacation of the year.
Reply Up