Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My Kid Hit His Head at Day-Care...
Maru 12:19 AM 07-25-2016
Sergio tripped over a bike while at day-care. He has hit forehead scratched, nose, upper lip and left arm. Daycare called and said, "he's he's heavily bleeding, does not need stitches but he wants you." I replied, "did anyone called an ambulance?" She simply replied,"no"
Are they not supposed to give me an injury report AND call an ambulance to check if he had a concussion? I pay $1,000 monthly, have to provide dispersants lunch. Isn't there a law that they are forced to provide me with those things? Please help!!! Thanks!!!
Unregistered 02:57 AM 07-25-2016
No.
Besides you would be responsible for the ambulance bill and emergency room visit bills. Unless he lost consciousness or they couldn't stop the breathing (head wounds bleed a lot but often are not too serious) you would be better off picking him up and taking him right to his peditrician or urgent care first.
Unregistered 02:58 AM 07-25-2016
No.
Besides you would be responsible for the ambulance bill and emergency room visit bills. Unless he lost consciousness or they couldn't stop the bleeding (head wounds bleed a lot but often are not too serious) you would be better off picking him up and taking him right to his peditrician or urgent care first.
LysesKids 03:49 AM 07-25-2016
Originally Posted by Maru:
Sergio tripped over a bike while at day-care. He has hit forehead scratched, nose, upper lip and left arm. Daycare called and said, "he's he's heavily bleeding, does not need stitches but he wants you." I replied, "did anyone called an ambulance?" She simply replied,"no"
Are they not supposed to give me an injury report AND call an ambulance to check if he had a concussion? I pay $1,000 monthly, have to provide dispersants lunch. Isn't there a law that they are forced to provide me with those things? Please help!!! Thanks!!!
I have only called a parent twice in 16 years to pick up after an slight injury & NO, I would not call an ambulance unless the child was severely injured or unconscious.

Parents are responsible for transportation costs in a medical emergency, but tripping over a bike? Nope, I know the signs to look for (it's required we have First Aid & CPR training) and unless your child had become unconscious or started vomiting or acting strange, I would not have called 911; Head wounds do bleed and sometimes it takes longer to stop, but if it wasn't gushing - I don't freak out; I would have called you and ask that you come pick him up if he was wanting you & It would be at your discretion to have him checked by a pediatrician if you thought it was really warranted. Most of us are small home businesses that offer a service, there are no laws FORCING us to provide anything including meals if we so choose.
LysesKids 05:37 AM 07-25-2016
That last sentence didn't read correctly... lol. Of course we provide safety & care, but when it comes to certain basics including meals, each home sets their own policies. I know providers that request parents provide everything including Pack n plays (I provide those & many other things for infants)... as a parent, the OP, has to chose what fits your family best
Blackcat31 06:01 AM 07-25-2016
Originally Posted by Maru:
Each state has different requirements as to how an injury is to be managed/dealt with. Depending on the severity of the injury, an incident report may or may not be required.

I am in MN and I am required only to provide an injury report to licensing IF the child required immediate medical attention. If it was simply a fall and some bleeding, I would do as previous poster said and apply the first aid training I have and go from there.

Calling an ambulance is a bit over the top unless the child lost consciousness or if it were life or death situation.
Blackcat31 06:03 AM 07-25-2016
This is also something you should have either discussed with the provider upon interviewing or/and or have been given written policies as to how the program handles injuries.

I have written policies and procedures that are given to parents informing them of how injuries are managed in my program.
Thriftylady 08:28 AM 07-25-2016
I wouldn't have called an ambulance either. An ambulance is for someone in a life and death situation. A minor injury could take that ambulance away from someone who really needed it, and they wouldn't diagnose anything, just an expensive ride to an expensive hospital, when at the very most a much cheaper doctors visit MAY be needed. But in this case I wouldn't do the doctor either even for my own child. Now I would do an injury report and have you sign it, but just for my own records, it wouldn't need to go to anyone since medical care was not needed.

I guess my question is would you call an ambulance for such a thing at home? I am guessing not, so why would you expect the provider to?
daycarediva 08:37 AM 07-25-2016
I don't call an ambulance unless it is a life threatening emergency. It is in my illness/injury policy all parents that enroll read and sign agreeing to.

An injury that bleeds more than a band aid gets a parent phone call. I give the parent the option to bring the child to the pediatrician or urgent care.

In addition, it's HIGHLY unlikely your child had a concussion from tripping over a bike. Are you a first time parent? Injuries happen, especially among toddlers-preschoolers.
Unregistered 09:16 AM 07-25-2016
You know how many times we providers would have to call an ambulance if a child "tripped" over something. sheesh that's absurd.
NillaWafers 10:25 AM 07-25-2016
I have a list of reasons I'll call an ambulance, in CA our first aid class gives us this list as a guideline.

Severe injuries to the head*, back or neck; severe eye injury
Person not breathing
Difficulty breathing, shortness of breath
Wheezing, facial swelling due to allergic reaction
Near drowning
Person unconscious, semi-conscious or unusually confused
Uncontrolled bleeding
Coughing or vomiting blood
Chest pain or pressure that lasts more than 3-5 minutes
Poisoning, drug overdose
First time seizure, multiple seizures, or seizure lasting more than 5 minutes
Fracture with bone deformity and/or bone exposure
Person with sudden or persistent severe pain

Sorry, but if I called an ambulance if a kid fell and scratched themselves, even if they hit their head (not severely) I'd have a WHOLE BUNCH of mad parents. What a waste of time and resources. If you're concerned he has a concussion, take him to the doctor. But chances are that he's fine as long as he isn't confused or nauseated.
MunchkinWrangler 10:54 AM 07-25-2016
No, we are trained in first aid and know when it's appropriate for a 911 call. I would hate to rack up someone's insurance needlessly.
Unregistered 11:27 AM 07-25-2016
I did call paramedic/ambulance one time when a dck cut head during a fall. I got the bleeding stopped fine, but it looked like I was seeing bone (over eyebrow) and I wasn't sure how serious that was.
Luckily here they do not charge unless they transport. They said they could take him or just wait for parent. The parent came and took child to doctor for stitches.
Thriftylady 11:53 AM 07-25-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I did call paramedic/ambulance one time when a dck cut head during a fall. I got the bleeding stopped fine, but it looked like I was seeing bone (over eyebrow) and I wasn't sure how serious that was.
Luckily here they do not charge unless they transport. They said they could take him or just wait for parent. The parent came and took child to doctor for stitches.
Sounds like in that case you thought it may be severe. If I thought it was severe I would call also, but only if I really thought it was warranted. It probably would have freaked me out if I thought I was seeing bone also though.
Mom2Two 12:31 PM 07-25-2016
Licensed providers are typically required to have pediatric first aid and CPR, and part of that is having some idea what concussion looks like. But as a parent, I would first call and talk to the nurse at the pediatrician's office if I was borderline-concerned.

An ambulance call would only be for true emergencies or for when I was pretty worried but had too many kids to transport and parent couldn't get here quick enough.
Pestle 09:36 AM 07-28-2016
My policy states, and I tell the parents during the interview, that I will use my own judgment. I will call an ambulance if I believe the situation merits it, and the parents are responsible for paying for the ambulance.

If I were in that situation, and the parent told me over the phone that they wanted an ambulance, I would remind them that they are responsible for paying for it, and I'd call the ambulance. But only if they asked.
Reply Up