Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Its OK to Take Tour Shoes Off and Get Dirty
DaisyMamma 07:24 AM 08-05-2014
I have a dck who is always put together, looks nice. Clean clothes, etc. He comes two mornings a week. He's hardly here so I didn't think much of it until one day his dad mentioned going to the beach. Dcd said he had to buy dcb some water shoes because his feet are sensitive and he doesn't like the sand
IMO that's all the more reason to take off his shoes more often!
So then I started noticing that this kid always has sneakers and socks on.
So I decided I would take his shoes off when he comes. Today is day one. We are outside and as soon as he got a spec of dirt on his feet he starts with "ewe Yuck Yuck" I just told him its ok and to go play! He is otherwise doing fine and having fun.
melilley 08:03 AM 08-05-2014
My ds hated to feel sand on his feer. We went to Lake Michigan last month and he would not put his feet in the sand, he sat on the cooler the whole time, I kept trying to have him stand in it..lol he just turned 2.
Last weekend, we went camping and there was a sandy beach and he actually had his shoes off and walked in it. It took a few minutes, but he did it.

It's funny what some kids are bothered by!
Blackcat31 08:28 AM 08-05-2014
I will NOT go barefoot outside. I hate the grass and/or sand feel on my feet.

I wear sandals and/or shoes all the time. I will sometimes go barefoot in the house but usually only at home where we have hardwood floors. RARELY will I go barefoot at daycare....there is carpet, and I hate the feel of it.
AmyKidsCo 08:54 AM 08-05-2014
My Dad NEVER goes barefoot & our 4th child has been the same way his whole life. Some people just don't like being barefoot.
Kabob 08:57 AM 08-05-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I wear sandals and/or shoes all the time. I will sometimes go barefoot in the house but usually only at home where we have hardwood floors. RARELY will I go barefoot at daycare....there is carpet, and I hate the feel of it.
I grew up going barefoot even when hiking in the woods so I love it but my dh freaks out if he even hears the scraping sound of sand...so he's always in shoes. My ds loves going barefoot too but I make all dcks wear shoes during daycare hours because you never know what they could step on. I once stepped on a bee and boy did that hurt...my foot was so swollen I couldn't walk for a week. Last thing I need is for that to happen during daycare...

To each their own. Sand can get pretty toasty too so maybe he doesn't like it for that reason...meh...whatever works for them...
cheerfuldom 02:58 PM 08-05-2014
I dont allow daycare children to go barefoot outside, too much liability if they step on something sharp on get hurt or whatever. Now my own kids, they are barefoot all the time.
MotherNature 05:03 PM 08-05-2014
Maybe he has a sensory tactile disorder where he doesn't like the feel? He's probably just never been allowed to get dirty though, poor kid.
proudmommyofthree 07:45 AM 08-06-2014

I am the same way! I will absolutely not walk in grass or outside barefooted! It grosses me out, and bc I have a phobia of worms. I remember in my biology ass in high school, my teacher telling us that there are these worms that can enter your body through your feet!. Anyways I just can't because it too gross for me lol
NightOwl 07:58 AM 08-06-2014
Kids do need to be allowed to get dirty, I totally agree. I want to allow mine to go barefoot outside, but I'm afraid to. We're in the country and I have no idea what animal had traipsed across the playground in the middle of the night! Also, the honey bees are crazy right now.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 09:22 AM 08-06-2014

I am also a shoe person I don't allow the dc kids to go barefoot in the yard.. too many bees and things to step on. But I do allow them on the patio barefooted.
midaycare 09:26 AM 08-06-2014
We are all so different it doesn't bother me. I have one who doesn't like to get dirty so we find other ways. Instead of finger painting she uses a brush. Instead of going in the sandbox she sits on the side of it and plays.
DaisyMamma 07:13 AM 08-08-2014
My opinion of the situation is totally different I guess.

I live on a lake and we have a sandy beach. EVERY kid refuses to walk on the sand in the second summer of life, on the first visit there of the year. it's totally normal. They get used to it.
I personally feel that it is like anything else. Your feet need get used to it.
Just like anyone or anything gets socialized, so to speak. If you never leave the house then you won't ever want to, because you're scared.
If you always wear shoes then your feet will always be sensitive.

Where we live its weird to always wear shoes. Most kids here are the opposite of this one. I have to constantly tell them to put shoes on.

IMO this is something that the parents are doing to the child. He is sensitive because they put shoes on him 24/7. There are sensory issues that are related to this type of behavior. But in this case it is not.
Kabob 07:57 AM 08-08-2014
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
My opinion of the situation is totally different I guess.

I live on a lake and we have a sandy beach. EVERY kid refuses to walk on the sand in the second summer of life, on the first visit there of the year. it's totally normal. They get used to it.
I personally feel that it is like anything else. Your feet need get used to it.
Just like anyone or anything gets socialized, so to speak. If you never leave the house then you won't ever want to, because you're scared.
If you always wear shoes then your feet will always be sensitive.

Where we live its weird to always wear shoes. Most kids here are the opposite of this one. I have to constantly tell them to put shoes on.

IMO this is something that the parents are doing to the child. He is sensitive because they put shoes on him 24/7. There are sensory issues that are related to this type of behavior. But in this case it is not.
I totally get where you're coming from. I just can see both sides...I don't mind my own kids going barefoot cuz I love to go barefoot myself but at daycare I just don't care to tempt bumblebees or sharp rocks or whatever might randomly be lying on the ground.

My feet are pretty tough too...I can walk through the woods or on gravel no problem but dh wusses out on sand so he wears shoes even indoors sometimes. I just grew up where it was normal to let your kids play in the woods on their own for hours...although my city relatives were worried I'd get eaten by a bear or something.
Reply Up