Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Lets Talk Weather
daycare 02:51 PM 12-23-2014
Ok time to take a look at the globe and see how your Merry Christmas will be.

I am in SF Bay area it's 71 and sunny...... rain tomorrow, but dry all day Christmas day with a high of 68..

what is your Christmas going to look like?
AuntTami 03:05 PM 12-23-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
Ok time to take a look at the globe and see how your Merry Christmas will be.

I am in SF Bay area it's 71 and sunny...... rain tomorrow, but dry all day Christmas day with a high of 68..

what is your Christmas going to look like?
Currently snowing so I assume the temp to be around 30 lol. We've gotten probably 2-3 inches of snow today alone. Yesterday I could see the grass. It's been an unusually "warm" winter lol.
daycare 03:13 PM 12-23-2014
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
Currently snowing so I assume the temp to be around 30 lol. We've gotten probably 2-3 inches of snow today alone. Yesterday I could see the grass. It's been an unusually "warm" winter lol.
wow I dream of the day I have a white christmas.....thats so cool
midaycare 03:24 PM 12-23-2014
It's a green Christmas so far, which is weird. But we are supposed to get 1-2" tomorrow night, which would be nice. Then it's supposed to melt, which would be even nicer
sally 03:27 PM 12-23-2014
Today it is 34° and snowing/rain mix. I think it will be dry on Christmas day. Hopefully the temp will stay above freezing as we have to drive 4 hours for a big family Christmas.
AuntTami 03:35 PM 12-23-2014
wow I dream of the day I have a white christmas.....thats so cool
I would gladly trade you houses for a week! 71 and sunny on Christmas? YES PLEASE! Forget this snow business!
daycare 04:16 PM 12-23-2014
I would gladly trade you houses for a week! 71 and sunny on Christmas? YES PLEASE! Forget this snow business!
lol deal I want to see snow so bad...lol
Unregistered 04:39 PM 12-23-2014
I'm dreaming of a green Christmas
We had a foot of snow in early November. Now? Green grass and rain
I'm okay with it. I've shoveled enough.
Sunshine74 04:41 PM 12-23-2014
I think it is going to be in the 40's, no snow, lots of wind.
delferka 06:16 PM 12-23-2014
Warm and wet! Should be cold and snowing! Western Massachusetts for God's sake!
Luvnmykidz 06:31 PM 12-23-2014
Low 50's no snow as of now. We're from FL and miss the 70's around Christmas weather. Although my kids were so amazed to touch snow for the first time last year.
AuntTami 07:07 PM 12-23-2014
lol deal I want to see snow so bad...lol
It's so funny when I hear people say that, since I can't imagine it haha. But I guess it would be the same as me wanting to swim in the ocean as I'm sure most californiaians have done Lol
daycare 07:17 PM 12-23-2014
It's so funny when I hear people say that, since I can't imagine it haha. But I guess it would be the same as me wanting to swim in the ocean as I'm sure most californiaians have done Lol
I have a second cousin that lives in MN she came out to visit me when I lived in Newport Beach. it was in the 60s everyone in the beach was freezing my cousin was in her bikini and went swimming in the ocean.. everyone looked at her like she was nuts.....

we still laugh about that...I call her cousin polar bear...
nanglgrl 09:46 PM 12-23-2014
Im in Iowa. No snow yet but lots of rain. Supposed to be in the mid 30's to early 40's all week so it's warm and no more rain (I'm in Iowa for goodness sake). I doubt we will have any snow for Christmas. We only had a tiny bit that lasted for a few days, it's a strange winter for sure, it hasn't even been cold enough most days to turn the rain into ice. I hate snow, but I would like it for Christmas and would really like the rain to go away!
DaveA 03:40 AM 12-24-2014
There was supposed to be snow last night but it didn't happen here. Just rain, so no white Christmas Mid 40s and sunny here tomorrow.
Sugar Magnolia 05:17 AM 12-24-2014
It's going to be 80 degrees today. Get out your bug spray, because the mosquitos are biting and the fleas are hopping. Shorts weather. I think I'll get the Ninja out for a ride.
So yeah, it's hot hot hot. Welcome to Florida, where Christmas NEVER feels Christmas-y. I'm used to it. You know, as someone originally from Vermont, the things that bug me the most about Christmas in Florida........decorated palm trees and those dumb inflatables of snow men and snow globes on lawns. Boo. And a bah humbug in general.
Sugar Magnolia 05:21 AM 12-24-2014
It is swimming weather here today. Gulf of Mexico right around 75 degrees. That's a little chilly for me to swim........but the tourists will be in there!
AuntTami 05:52 AM 12-24-2014
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
It's going to be 80 degrees today. Get out your bug spray, because the mosquitos are biting and the fleas are hopping. Shorts weather. I think I'll get the Ninja out for a ride.
So yeah, it's hot hot hot. Welcome to Florida, where Christmas NEVER feels Christmas-y. I'm used to it. You know, as someone originally from Vermont, the things that bug me the most about Christmas in Florida........decorated palm trees and those dumb inflatables of snow men and snow globes on lawns. Boo. And a bah humbug in general.
I'm a major Scrooge in general. I hate Christmas. If it wasn't for daycare kiddos I wouldn't even have a tree bexause I hate Christmas that much. It's not fun, it's all about presents and who got the most expensive gifts and who got the most presets and that's just not any fun. My hatred began one year a few years ago when I couldn't afford gifts for anyone and I got so mad when I heard "well what did you get me"? Over and over again that I just said f*** it, I'm not doing Christmas any more. It's not appreciated anyways.

I've only seen the ocean once and that was in San diego in January a few years ago. It was too cold to swim but I waded in up to my knees. I would love to be able to swim in it one day, but oceans aren't incredibly popular here in Wisconsin haha.

The decorated Palm trees annoy me as well. A friend lives in Orlando and her house and trees are all decked out with Christmas stuff and it just looks so weird to me since I'm used to pine trees and snow haha
Blackcat31 08:31 AM 12-24-2014
I'm a major Scrooge in general. I hate Christmas. If it wasn't for daycare kiddos I wouldn't even have a tree bexause I hate Christmas that much. It's not fun, it's all about presents and who got the most expensive gifts and who got the most presets and that's just not any fun. My hatred began one year a few years ago when I couldn't afford gifts for anyone and I got so mad when I heard "well what did you get me"? Over and over again that I just said f*** it, I'm not doing Christmas any more. It's not appreciated anyways.

I've only seen the ocean once and that was in San diego in January a few years ago. It was too cold to swim but I waded in up to my knees. I would love to be able to swim in it one day, but oceans aren't incredibly popular here in Wisconsin haha.

The decorated Palm trees annoy me as well. A friend lives in Orlando and her house and trees are all decked out with Christmas stuff and it just looks so weird to me since I'm used to pine trees and snow haha
Really??

I Christmas!!!

NOT because of the gifts or the commercialization of it or even because of all the "gimme's" and unappreciated gifts.

I Christmas because of what it represents.

Christmas is love.
Christmas is family.
Christmas is happiness.
Christmas is peace.

Christmas is so many things but most of all Christmas is feeling blessed for all the things I do have.

My family, good friends, my children, my fur-babies, a job/career I love, being alive and well and simply being able to appreciate simple things like food, clothing, shelter and comfort.

So many things that others don't have....we often take for granted.

Every time I hear a "Gimme" or "What did you get me?" I just remind myself that I don't have to get anyone anything and no one has to give me anything because when I truly think about it......

I have everything I need.

....and more.

I Christmas.
Unregistered 08:50 AM 12-24-2014
Today is partly cloudy 74 degrees and Christmas Day is suppose to be mostly sunny 75 degrees. This is "cold" weather for us in Hawaii. We did get our "snow" (rain) with some area flooding the last two days. We do get real snow on the summits of our two volcanoes on the Big Island. We are lucky it cleared up just in time for last minute shopping and Christmas Day!
AuntTami 09:26 AM 12-24-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Really??

I Christmas!!!

NOT because of the gifts or the commercialization of it or even because of all the "gimme's" and unappreciated gifts.

I Christmas because of what it represents.

Christmas is love.
Christmas is family.
Christmas is happiness.
Christmas is peace.

Christmas is so many things but most of all Christmas is feeling blessed for all the things I do have.

My family, good friends, my children, my fur-babies, a job/career I love, being alive and well and simply being able to appreciate simple things like food, clothing, shelter and comfort.

So many things that others don't have....we often take for granted.

Every time I hear a "Gimme" or "What did you get me?" I just remind myself that I don't have to get anyone anything and no one has to give me anything because when I truly think about it......

I have everything I need.

....and more.

I Christmas.
That's how I used to feel. And I'm grateful for everything I have. Believe me, I am.

But the "gimme" and "what did you get me" ruin it for me. It's supposed to be about love and family but it's just been so commercialized that it's not about those things anymore. At least in my family.

If we could do a year with no presents what so ever, and just spend the day as a family, it would probably change my whole mind. But that's not how my family does Christmas. Everyone expects something and it causes me too much stress and headaches to even try anymore.

I found myself sitting in my recliner last week crying because I felt so bad that I couldn't give gifts this year and with seven nephews under 11- Christmas presents are a big deal. At least to them. I felt and still do, feel like a terrible person because we can't afford hundreds of dollars in gifts for everyone. I made cookies for everyone this year and for me personally, that is plenty.

But I know I'm going to hear "yeah but what did you GET ME?" From all of them and it breaks my heart that I'll have to say "nothing"....

So Christmas isn't fun for me. It makes me sad, angry, feel guilty and cry.

I'm crying as I type this because I feel terrible.

See why I hate Christmas now?
Unregistered 09:52 AM 12-24-2014
That's how I used to feel. And I'm grateful for everything I have. Believe me, I am. But the "gimme" and "what did you get me" ruin it for me. It's supposed to be about love and family but it's just been so commercialized that it's not about those things anymore. At least in my family. If we could do a year with no presents what so ever, and just spend the day as a family, it would probably change my whole mind. But that's not how my family does Christmas. Everyone expects something and it causes me too much stress and headaches to even try anymore. I found myself sitting in my recliner last week crying because I felt so bad that I couldn't give gifts this year and with seven nephews under 11- Christmas presents are a big deal. At least to them. I felt and still do, feel like a terrible person because we can't afford hundreds of dollars in gifts for everyone. I made cookies for everyone this year and for me personally, that is plenty. But I know I'm going to hear "yeah but what did you GET ME?" From all of them and it breaks my heart that I'll have to say "nothing".... So Christmas isn't fun for me. It makes me sad, angry, feel guilty and cry. I'm crying as I type this because I feel terrible. See why I hate Christmas now?
Don't feel bad about not being able to give a present that is worth monetary value. Your love and presence is worth more than any present.

I think it is the fault of adults who teach children at a young age the wrong meaning of Christmas. We have been teaching my 2 yr. old nephew about the true meaning of Christmas. We read him a simple children's book about the first Christmas and teach him that giving is better than receiving. When we go to the store we would give him a few dollars to put into the red kettles. We explained what it was for, and now he asks if we can give to them when he sees one. At the mall he saw the "Angel tree" with wish lists from less fortunate families/children. We decided next year we are going to start a tradition of him picking a list to fulfill.

We asked him to write a letter to Santa, so we could confirm what he wanted, he only asked for one thing. When we asked if he wanted anything else, he said no that's it. I felt so proud because I know children who have long lists of things they want, but do not appreciate when they finally receive it. When he saw his three presents under the tree, he said "Wow, I have lots of presents." The presents we got him were not expensive, but they are things we know he wanted and will enjoy using for a long time. We as a family decided a long time ago, that birthday and Christmas presents were going to be few and inexpensive. We decided that giving the children in our family experiences together (trip to the zoo/aquarium/children's center, etc) as a family throughout the year is worth more and will be remembered as they grow older.
AuntTami 10:25 AM 12-24-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Don't feel bad about not being able to give a present that is worth monetary value. Your love and presence is worth more than any present.
I wish I could explain that to my 3 year old nephews, but they just don't "get" it lol.

In reality, I probably spent as much money on baking supplies as I would have on gifts, but this way I can make sure everyone gets exactly the same thing so there's no "but I want the red one!" between them lol.

Honestly, I don't know what happened between age 10 and now. When I was younger, I remember Christmas being very small, and it just being my sister, my mom and I, and prior to their divorce, my dad as well. It was never anything extravagant or full of tons of presents. But somewhere between then and now, it's turned into a huge to-do so I've just kind of checked out of it. Plus, being the only sibling without children of my own, it's not really even any fun for me anymore, theres no "christmas magic" anymore.
daycare 12:03 PM 12-24-2014
Christmas is what you make it.

I have a love hate relationship with Christmas. It's hard because I remember those that have passed and see they are not at the table this year. But I drown in their happy memories and it brings laughter.

I despise my father when he comes every other Christmas because I am a college drop out, I don't practice my culture, I celebrate Christian holidays and I'm not Christian. He does nothing but nag about how unsuccessful I am. But I wouldn't have it any other way....He's here he's healthy and he's my daddy. I Love the dysfunction he brings to the holiday.

We spend entirely way too much money, but everyone gets something they have wanted and some what through good grades behavior and kindness have earned. I save all year for Christmas.

I love letting my youngest sit on my lap and drive my car through the house parade of lights. One ticket I wouldn't mind paying for. Oh and the best is to hear my mum try to sing Ava Maria in her best English accident. It's so out of tune the neighbors dogs Hoot and Howell

We always eat too much drink too much and make the biggest mess of the house. Just to wake up hating life the next day swearing to the skies to never do that again. Well until next year
Every year theres peace, love, drama and joy.

It's the time of year I can't wait for and when it ends I'm already planning the next Christmas.

I am about to pick up my parents. So excited. SF airport better not be a zoo!! And if it is. Well justmore excitement for our adventure.

Merry Christmas. !!!!!
Blackcat31 03:57 PM 12-24-2014
I need to PRE-apologize for what I am going to say... NOT because of what I'm going to say but because I totally understand how annoying those sickeningly happy, optimistic people like me can be sometimes.

I also understand that sometimes, it IS okay to feel sad or not like something "just because" or because it's personal and you shouldn't have to explain how you feel all the time.

BUUUUUUT this is my two cents....

That's how I used to feel. And I'm grateful for everything I have. Believe me, I am.

But the "gimme" and "what did you get me" ruin it for me. It's supposed to be about love and family but it's just been so commercialized that it's not about those things anymore. At least in my family.
But if that is what it means to you, then celebrate that. Why does HOW others view the holiday have to change things for you? If your family chooses to go the commercial route, let them. You don't have to too...

Refuse gifts purchased for you or donate them to someone you know needs them. Don't buy gifts for others or donate to a charity in their name(s)....if anyone says anything, tell them... tell them you are choosing to celebrate in a way that is meaningful to you.

It doesn't take anything away from them but allows you to be joyful and happy during this time of the year too... I think Christmas means something different thing to everyone.

If we could do a year with no presents what so ever, and just spend the day as a family, it would probably change my whole mind. But that's not how my family does Christmas. Everyone expects something and it causes me too much stress and headaches to even try anymore.
Try "I" as in you... like above...why are you allowing others to dictate how you celebrate? Your inner self is telling you (stress/headaches) that you are trying to please others before yourself.

I found myself sitting in my recliner last week crying because I felt so bad that I couldn't give gifts this year and with seven nephews under 11- Christmas presents are a big deal. At least to them. I felt and still do, feel like a terrible person because we can't afford hundreds of dollars in gifts for everyone. I made cookies for everyone this year and for me personally, that is plenty.

But I know I'm going to hear "yeah but what did you GET ME?" From all of them and it breaks my heart that I'll have to say "nothing"....
Time. Time is a gift that costs nothing but means everything. Why not give the gift of time (a special day with Aunt Tami, watching a movie or making cookies one on one, just you and each of your 7 nephews...) They might not see the value in it today but someday, they will see the TRUE value of that memory.

"Daycare" said in another post that she feels sad at Christmas when remembering those she has lost that can't be here to celebrate..... life IS short... give your nephews and other family members the gift of you. Spending time with family is priceless.

So Christmas isn't fun for me. It makes me sad, angry, feel guilty and cry.
If I could give everyone single person a gift, it would be the total understanding that each one of us has 100% total control over our lives and our own happiness. As humans, we seem to naturally accept the excuses we come up with for not doing something or for feeling a certain way. We blame others, we blame our circumstances or we blame (fill in the blank).

I wish everyone really realized that they are in charge of their own happiness. There are no rules other than those we choose to follow. I choose to follow the law of my city, state and country obviously because I value my freedom but there is so much we have the power to be in control of.....

You really CAN celebrate Christmas in whatever way makes you happy. If your family choose a different means of celebrating, why is that so bad? As long as everyone is happy then all is good.

I'm crying as I type this because I feel terrible.

See why I hate Christmas now?

I'm sorry Christmas doesn't make you happy. It makes me happy and I can't help but try and share that happiness with others so I apologize if anything I said is out of line or makes you feel worse...

I feel like one of those ditzy beauty pageant contestants that answers "I just want peace"

But I really do... I wish everyone felt as happy as I do.

Especially at Christmas. So
Meeko 01:41 PM 12-27-2014
It has been a warmer than normal December for Utah....but.....it snowed during the night on Christmas Eve and we woke up to a white Christmas. It snowed all day and all night again....perfect. Ans as we are closed until Monday....we didn't even clear the driveway
Unregistered 03:10 AM 12-31-2014
Warm winter for WI this year. Cold November, really mild December. Snow in November...it melted. We had a warm sunny Christmas Day. NO Snow! It might have been 45 or a little warmer. That's incredibly warm for here.

I'm really wishing for SNOW!
Josiegirl 04:16 AM 12-31-2014
Well, we did have quite a bit of snow before Christmas, then rain, now patches of ice and frozen dirt everywhere. It's 10 outside right now and too darn cold for my blood. We seriously need some good sleeding snow so the dcks don't just stand outside and repeat a hundred times' I'm bored, there's nothing to do, I'm cold'. Course this is mostly from the school kids. Why is it the tots and prek crowd can think on their own and still have fun?? One 7 yo dcg sat under the picnic table, in the ice, and whined cause she was cold. I said 'get up and move around!!!' It's not rocket science!
Meeko 05:00 AM 12-31-2014
It's 5 degrees this morning. But it's supposed to warm up today........to 8 degrees........
Blackcat31 06:54 AM 01-04-2015
Still not much snow yet... But the temps are down there in n the negatives.

Check out the "feels like"/windchill temp.. -43F

That is current this morning:
Attached: attachment.jpg (36.4 KB) 
Josiegirl 07:48 AM 01-04-2015
omg -43 chill factor?? yikes! That's Siberian weather!

We started off with a few " of snow last night, then turned to freezing rain during the night, supposed to rain this afternoon, and dip to -20 midweek.
Cradle2crayons 09:08 AM 01-04-2015
Right now.. We need a BOAT!!!!!!

Yesterday was a wonderful almost 70 degrees... Tornadoes... Hail... Flooding.... Two weeks of this crap.

We are still under a state of emergency from the tornadoes two weeks ago in two counties that had several fatalities.

I had to go it of town yesterday two hours away in he middle of it and worried so much about my doggies and kitties. But luckily my new daycare mom lives a half mile away and told me if it got bad she would go check on my darlings. But everything was ok.

We come back in town late this afternoon and I pray I can get I to my driveway without needing a tractor for back up. Ugh. Three weeks of rain. I'm done.

But hey.... In just a few days it'll be back in the 20's oh yay. I can't wait.
Michael 12:28 PM 01-04-2015
66 today and sunny. We had two small earthquake, here in Moorpark California, yesterday of 3.0 and 4.3. It's a Rockin and Rollin New Year.
Attached: image.jpg (46.0 KB) 
midaycare 12:39 PM 01-04-2015
Originally Posted by Michael:
66 today and sunny. We had two small earthquake, here in Moorpark California, yesterday of 3.0 and 4.3. It's a Rockin and Rollin New Year.
Does that make you nervous, living in someplace with earthquakes? I think I would be a worrywart!
Michael 01:13 PM 01-04-2015
It used to. When I first moved out here we had a couple of big ones including the Northridge earthquake. Since then they've really been quite mild. But we are always waiting for the big one which is inevitably going to come.
Blackcat31 01:44 PM 01-04-2015
Originally Posted by Michael:
It used to. When I first moved out here we had a couple of big ones including the Northridge earthquake. Since then they've really been quite mild. But we are always waiting for the big one which is inevitably going to come.
I am pretty laid back, always optimistic type person 99% of the time. It takes ALOT to get me freaked out...

....but my DH and I were out there in 2010 and we were driving on the 405 around dinner time making our way to Huntington Beach. Cars are side by side, 5 lanes wide and the highway started shaking/moving/bouncing whatever...(our roads do NOT do that here!) and I started freaking out yelling at my DH "GET OFF! GET OFF! GET OFF THE ROAD!"

Apparently, the roads do that when they are so big and most larger cities with 5 lane freeways know the feeling well.

I thought it was an earthquake. I had NO idea since earthquakes are so unfamiliar to me.

I couldn't imagine "getting used to it" anymore than you guys can imagine "getting used to" the sub-zero temps and feet of snow.
midaycare 02:12 PM 01-04-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I am pretty laid back, always optimistic type person 99% of the time. It takes ALOT to get me freaked out...

....but my DH and I were out there in 2010 and we were driving on the 405 around dinner time making our way to Huntington Beach. Cars are side by side, 5 lanes wide and the highway started shaking/moving/bouncing whatever...(our roads do NOT do that here!) and I started freaking out yelling at my DH "GET OFF! GET OFF! GET OFF THE ROAD!"

Apparently, the roads do that when they are so big and most larger cities with 5 lane freeways know the feeling well.

I thought it was an earthquake. I had NO idea since earthquakes are so unfamiliar to me.

I couldn't imagine "getting used to it" anymore than you guys can imagine "getting used to" the sub-zero temps and feet of snow.
Lol! I complain about the snow, but I will take it over earthquakes and hurricanes. I live in a very uneventful place. Although I have heard there is a huge fault line close to me, and if that ever goes ... Nah, can't think about it.
Tags:earthquake, weather
Reply Up