Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No Outdoor Area For Play
LadyK8 07:27 AM 03-25-2015
Does anyone else struggle with NOT having a fenced in back yard, or any outdoor play area? It really sucks, and I feel I could get more clients if I had this option.

I'm not allowed to let the children play out back because there's no fencing, and they can't play out front. I also can't drive yet, so I have no way of taking them to a park.
Thriftylady 07:32 AM 03-25-2015
My yard isn't fenced, but the way it is set up I don't have an issue with it. We also live walking distance from the park, we go there a ton.
Heidi 07:39 AM 03-25-2015
I'd say either invest in some inexpensive fencing (even snow fencing might work and it's cheap), or take them for walks. They need to get out daily and yes, it probably is costing you potential clients.
LindseyA 08:14 AM 03-25-2015
I also don't have a fenced in backyard. But we are in the country (big yard that's open but we have a tree lined back, where they know they can't go by the trees) so I have had no issues. I should also mention that my house set set way far back from the road, so the back yard is super far. Do you have a back porch? Maybe you could utilize that as outdoor play for now? My dream would be to put a roof over my back porch so we could play outside, even if its raining, and we'd be covered!
LysesKids 08:15 AM 03-25-2015
I live in manufactured housing and we can't fence the lots, but I built a deck big enough to handle 4 babies (to code for state & housing). I have a custom gate built into stairs so I can just open the door and my littles can crawl out of the house onto the deck lol - best part is I have trees that shade it half the day
daycare 08:16 AM 03-25-2015
not to sound mean, but that is really unhealthy to be inside all day cooped up with each others germs and no fresh air or needed vitamins from the sun. As well as much needed exercise.

I would do anything and everything I could to get those children outside. I would start saving to get a fence put up either in the front or back.

Like PP said, going on walks would even be very helpful. Even if there is nothing to walk to.

on days that it's super hot outside, we get out at 8am and go for a nice long walk until it's time to go in.
LysesKids 08:20 AM 03-25-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
not to sound mean, but that is really unhealthy to be inside all day cooped up with each others germs and no fresh air or needed vitamins from the sun. As well as much needed exercise.

I would do anything and everything I could to get those children outside. I would start saving to get a fence put up either in the front or back.

Like PP said, going on walks would even be very helpful. Even if there is nothing to walk to.

on days that it's super hot outside, we get out at 8am and go for a nice long walk until it's time to go in.
THIS ... My littles love stroller rides early morning
Gemma 09:18 AM 03-25-2015
I would find a way to fence in at least a small area, so that your kids can be safely outdoor each day!
It wont only improve their wellbeing, it will do wonders for your own too!

...we go outside every day after nap/snack and we don't comeback in till right before dinner, those are the hours that go by the fastest and the kids most enjoy
Sugar Magnolia 11:18 AM 03-25-2015
I would not be given a license in my state if I didn't have a fenced outside play area. I would also not be a sane person without getting outside. As a child, I'd be bored and probably have some discipline problems if I couldn't run, jump, feel the breeze ans sun. As a parent, I'm sorry to say, would never enroll in a program that didn't provide some exercise outdoors.
Annalee 11:21 AM 03-25-2015
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
I would not be given a license in my state if I didn't have a fenced outside play area. I would also not be a sane person without getting outside. As a child, I'd be bored and probably have some discipline problems if I couldn't run, jump, feel the breeze ans sun. As a parent, I'm sorry to say, would never enroll in a program that didn't provide some exercise outdoors.

LadyK8 05:55 PM 03-25-2015
Originally Posted by LindseyA:
I also don't have a fenced in backyard. But we are in the country (big yard that's open but we have a tree lined back, where they know they can't go by the trees) so I have had no issues. I should also mention that my house set set way far back from the road, so the back yard is super far. Do you have a back porch? Maybe you could utilize that as outdoor play for now? My dream would be to put a roof over my back porch so we could play outside, even if its raining, and we'd be covered!
Yup! I do have a back porch that I utilize as outdoor play in the mean time. My licensing lady even says it feels like an outdoor space.
LadyK8 05:56 PM 03-25-2015
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
I was honestly surprised they gave me a license without the fence, because my state is so strict.
LadyK8 05:57 PM 03-25-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:

That's not mean at all. I wouldn't have made this post if I didn't agree. I do go for walks, even though it's not to anywhere specific, because I don't like the idea of being cooped up all day. Thanks.
Reply Up