Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Why Are Some People Allowed To Be Parents?
Bookworm 04:52 PM 06-18-2015
For the past two weeks, I've been working in the infant room in the afternoon. In that time, I've learned that 2 parents let their infant (3 mos and 4 mos) sleep in the swing because that's the only way they can get them to sleep. When asked about nighttime, the both said that they put the swing in their room. Both admitted they knew they shouldn't do it, but they claim this is the only way baby will sleep. Parents know that we can't do this and are ok with it. However, we have 2 overly tired screaming babies who are hard to get down for a nap. The morning teachers have worked really hard to get them to sleep in the crib and the 3 mos old has finally gotten used to the crip. The 4 mos old not so much because he's part time.

The other thing I learned is that there are parents who don't give doctor prescribed breathing treatments because baby cries. So they try to have all treatments done at DC. This never even got out of the gate because before we can give and prescribed meds, we have to have a doctor's note stating the reason for treatment and the recommended dosage and time to give it.

I guess working with parents of 3-5 yr old children made me forget how infant parents are a completely different animal. Oh, one infant was diagnosed with norovirus and had been out for 3 days last week. On Monday, daycare was back and "feeling better". Well after 3 massive diarrhea blowouts and a fever of 102.7. Mom was called for pick up. When asked if the infant was sick over the weekend, mom said that baby did have diarrhea all weekend she just didn't want to tell us because she already missed 3 days of work. Some people.
Thriftylady 05:04 PM 06-18-2015
Originally Posted by Bookworm:
For the past two weeks, I've been working in the infant room in the afternoon. In that time, I've learned that 2 parents let their infant (3 mos and 4 mos) sleep in the swing because that's the only way they can get them to sleep. When asked about nighttime, the both said that they put the swing in their room. Both admitted they knew they shouldn't do it, but they claim this is the only way baby will sleep. Parents know that we can't do this and are ok with it. However, we have 2 overly tired screaming babies who are hard to get down for a nap. The morning teachers have worked really hard to get them to sleep in the crib and the 3 mos old has finally gotten used to the crip. The 4 mos old not so much because he's part time.

The other thing I learned is that there are parents who don't give doctor prescribed breathing treatments because baby cries. So they try to have all treatments done at DC. This never even got out of the gate because before we can give and prescribed meds, we have to have a doctor's note stating the reason for treatment and the recommended dosage and time to give it.

I guess working with parents of 3-5 yr old children made me forget how infant parents are a completely different animal. Oh, one infant was diagnosed with norovirus and had been out for 3 days last week. On Monday, daycare was back and "feeling better". Well after 3 massive diarrhea blowouts and a fever of 102.7. Mom was called for pick up. When asked if the infant was sick over the weekend, mom said that baby did have diarrhea all weekend she just didn't want to tell us because she already missed 3 days of work. Some people.
Some people just don't get that they need to put the kids first. I mean I have dealt with this with my own grandson and DC kids. "Kiddo won't sleep if I don't hold him/her so I hold in recliner all night.". Or Kiddo won't go to sleep unless I am holding him". Both followed by "I have to have my sleep". UM why did you have kids????
Unregistered 09:31 PM 06-18-2015
These kinds of parents are so irritating and aggravating to have and I feel for their children. Sometimes I wonder if they have any common sense. And using the I'm a first time parent excuse doesn't cut it in my book, especially when you've been around/help out with your siblings' and friends' kids, claim to read a lot of parenting books, and have a second child. Maybe they should have stopped with the first child if that was the case since they seem to care more about "me and me time" and their careers. I really don't get parents like this who can't even do the basic things with their child.
Silly Songs 11:19 PM 06-18-2015
I understand your concerns, esp with child care centers . However, I wanted to point out there are far worse parents out there who should REALLY NEVER be in the same room as children. I'm following a case right now of a 1 year old who " disappeared " while mom was out and her boyfriend was " babysitting ." There are many more stories similar to this . It puts the annoying daycare parents thing in perspective .
Josiegirl 02:22 AM 06-19-2015
Originally Posted by Silly Songs:
I understand your concerns, esp with child care centers . However, I wanted to point out there are far worse parents out there who should REALLY NEVER be in the same room as children. I'm following a case right now of a 1 year old who " disappeared " while mom was out and her boyfriend was " babysitting ." There are many more stories similar to this . It puts the annoying daycare parents thing in perspective .
Definitely does put it all into perspective doesn't it.
Sugar Magnolia 02:31 AM 06-19-2015
Originally Posted by Silly Songs:
"....especially with child care centers....."? What do you mean?

I agree, it does really put it in perspective when you read the news!
Reply Up