Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Crafts in Groups
kcnjason 12:39 PM 04-07-2015
I have a home childcare, never more than 6 kids but often a good age range. Does anyone ever do crafts in different time frames? Say letting a few of the same age do the craft while the others are busy doing another activity and then switching out? Thinking about doing this so its easier to do crafts with all 6 rather than all at the same time since it's only myself and no helper.
Thriftylady 12:43 PM 04-07-2015
I do it all at once. At times the activity may be different for different age groups, but they all do it at the same time. I also don't get to complicated with it. I like to let them be open ended with their creativity.
Gemma 01:21 PM 04-07-2015
Some groups I've had, even though the kids were different ages, I was able to do crafts all together (different, age appropriate things) and I've had groups that I could only do craft one on one, so that's what I did....whatever works best with the kids I have, is the way I do it!
Laurel 03:57 PM 04-07-2015
Originally Posted by Gemma:
Some groups I've had, even though the kids were different ages, I was able to do crafts all together (different, age appropriate things) and I've had groups that I could only do craft one on one, so that's what I did....whatever works best with the kids I have, is the way I do it!

Laurel
daycare 04:10 PM 04-07-2015
we have craft hour every tuesday and thursday. most of the time the younger ones end up transferring the craft items from box to box and not make anything. To them it was just about the process of doing something.

I often give them cups of water with food coloring in them and let them paint the patio side walk. it dries up clear and goes away they don't care one bit. they could do that for hours if i let them.

with my older kids, I will make a few crafts and directions for them and they can make them how they would like, or they can have it open ended. Not every child is creative enough to participate in open ended art. Most of mine are, I have a few that don't like to use their imagination at all, so they would just sit and stare at the wall if i didn't help them with ideas.

If you preplan, you can have a fun filled craft day. just don't over think it too much.
MsLisa 04:52 PM 04-07-2015
I have SA kids but I put out the craft of the day on my bulletin board. Some kids will ask to do it, sometimes no one does it and sometimes they come up with their own. I never force it but it changes daily. Usually if one kid wants to do it, others notice and join in. I also keep that craft available all week because sometimes they don't "notice' it until other kids have there's hanging and they suddenly want one too.
So to answer the question, I do different time frames.
spinnymarie 07:46 PM 04-07-2015
I always do crafts in shifts. I like to be able to easily monitor, differentiate the level of difficulty , and keep the mess to a minimum. I usually do two or three at a time while the others are playing.
Unregistered 06:36 PM 04-08-2015
I've done this a lot. Just depends on what we're doing!
Tags:crafts
Reply Up