Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I'm Never Shoveling Snow Again!
permanentvacation 09:19 AM 02-26-2015
So, as all of you know, I'm trying to learn new ways of handling my finances to save money to move, well, also just to be able to support myself in 1 1/2 years when my daughter goes off to college and my ex doesn't have to pay me child support any more.

ANYWAY, so I'm trying new stores and new products. I joined Sam's Club and bought this 50 pound container of snow and ice melt. It' AWESOME STUFF!!!

It's called Excel Commercial Grade Snow and Ice Melt. I bought it on February 18th and have used it almost each morning since. So far, it has not damaged my sidewalk, back porch (which is metal), or driveway. I sprinkled some on my sidewalks, porch, and a small section of my driveway leading to the trash cans. In less than 5 minutes, the snow and ice were GONE!!!! I didn't shovel anything at all!!!

This is some kick butt stuff! I plan to buy this every year! I'm never shoveling snow again!

Just thought I'd mention this product and my opinion on it. I know a good bit of us are single mothers or older ladies who would rather not have to physically shovel the snow. Also, if you stay open during snowy/icy weather, you can just put your kids' coats on them and have them stand on the porch just for a couple of minutes while you sprinkle this stuff on your walkway and driveway rather than taking 1/2 hour or more to shovel.

However, I don't believe this is safe for children or pets, so make sure no one plays in it or gets it in their mouths and keep your pets away from it. My dog walks on it after it's melted the snow and ice and he hasn't had any problems. But he isn't licking it off the ground or off his paws.

The lid on the container I got is really tightly sealed. It had those sections that you have to lift over and up to pull each section of the lid up. So it's pretty much child proof. Of course, you should store it away from the kids.

Here's a picture of it, but my bucket is black, not white.
0075004500019_A (1).jpg
Attached:
Blackcat31 09:25 AM 02-26-2015
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
So, as all of you know, I'm trying to learn new ways of handling my finances to save money to move, well, also just to be able to support myself in 1 1/2 years when my daughter goes off to college and my ex doesn't have to pay me child support any more.

ANYWAY, so I'm trying new stores and new products. I joined Sam's Club and bought this 50 pound container of snow and ice melt. It' AWESOME STUFF!!!

It's called Excel Commercial Grade Snow and Ice Melt. I bought it on February 18th and have used it almost each morning since. So far, it has not damaged my sidewalk, back porch (which is metal), or driveway. I sprinkled some on my sidewalks, porch, and a small section of my driveway leading to the trash cans. In less than 5 minutes, the snow and ice were GONE!!!! I didn't shovel anything at all!!!

This is some kick butt stuff! I plan to buy this every year! I'm never shoveling snow again!

Just thought I'd mention this product and my opinion on it. I know a good bit of us are single mothers or older ladies who would rather not have to physically shovel the snow. Also, if you stay open during snowy/icy weather, you can just put your kids' coats on them and have them stand on the porch just for a couple of minutes while you sprinkle this stuff on your walkway and driveway rather than taking 1/2 hour or more to shovel.

However, I don't believe this is safe for children or pets, so make sure no one plays in it or gets it in their mouths and keep your pets away from it. My dog walks on it after it's melted the snow and ice and he hasn't had any problems. But he isn't licking it off the ground or off his paws.

The lid on the container I got is really tightly sealed. It had those sections that you have to lift over and up to pull each section of the lid up. So it's pretty much child proof. Of course, you should store it away from the kids.

Here's a picture of it, but my bucket is black, not white.
Attachment 3263
Please use with caution.

Calcium chloride pellets can be dangerous.

Prolonged skin exposure to calcium chloride may cause dry and irritated skin, according to the IPCS. To treat skin reactions, wash with plenty of soap and water. Your pets paws could become irritated.

If inhaled regularly, calcium chloride can create lesions in the mucous membranes that line the nose, throat and lungs.

Also an FYI, if it matters but if you get it on your grass the grass will die. SO unless you want to cure your lawn mowing issues too...be careful where you spread these pellets. Being that they are predominantly a salt-like substance, it can and will discolor rugs, fabrics, concrete and blacktop.
permanentvacation 09:31 AM 02-26-2015
I should have known that something had to be bad about it. But it is awesome at melting the snow and ice!
laundrymom 10:27 AM 02-26-2015
Whoo hoo!! Another plus!! Lolol. Just kidding. Lol. I'm in a mood today. Lol

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Also an FYI, if it matters but if you get it on your grass the grass will die. SO unless you want to cure your lawn mowing issues too...be careful where you spread these pellets. Being that they are predominantly a salt-like substance, it can and will discolor rugs, fabrics, concrete and blacktop.

daycarediva 10:41 AM 02-26-2015
LOL laundrymom!

I use it on my stone walkway, I need it COMPLETLEY clear or parents cant seem to find the path (it's curved) and tromp all over the snow in my yard. No issues. I bought mine at BJ's.

As bc said, be careful, ds put it on the sidewalks and they're all stained and blotchy.
DaveA 10:44 AM 02-26-2015
It works great but I second BC's note of caution. Calcium Chloride is a main componet of a lot of industrial metallurgical heat treating salts and is one of the reasons they are nasty to use. Don't overuse, be careful where you spread it, and be careful where and how you store it.
Jack Sprat 11:31 AM 02-26-2015
I agree it's great but, the side effects are awful!! We used it last winter and had dead grass all along our sidewalks. The sidewalks are pitted from it eating away at the concrete. Concrete is insanely expensive to pour, so I have to let the ugly (but safe) sidewalk slide for awhile. Then, it sticks to shoes. We have a no shoes in the house policy and most of my parents are really good about standing on the rug by the door, but not all.

Can you sweep the snow as it's falling? I have found that if I sweep when it begins, and during then its not so bad. I will add that all the major snowfall we have had has been on the weekends.
Unregistered 12:48 PM 02-26-2015
Just remember, shoveling your snow yourself is free.
And good exercise.
NeedaVaca 02:41 PM 02-26-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Just remember, shoveling your snow yourself is free.
And good exercise.
I imagine the Sams membership and this product cost quite a bit, would have been better off putting that money in your savings account.
Kelly 04:17 PM 02-26-2015
I use a liquid product called Liquid Snow Shovel. You can use it as an anti-icer by spraying on before to keep the ice/snow from bonding to the surface. The more layers you put on the better it works. You do still have to shovel but its much easier. You can also use it as a deicer to melt ice or snow. You just spray it on with one of those garden sprayers. It is environmentally friendly, safe for plants & pets and it works at temps down to -20
Thriftylady 04:42 PM 02-26-2015
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
I imagine the Sams membership and this product cost quite a bit, would have been better off putting that money in your savings account.
Love my Sams Membership. Our business one is only $35 and hubby and I each get a card. I save a ton by shopping there and right now mine is lapsed I make a big shop the month it is expiring and then let it lapse for a couple of months before I renew it.
permanentvacation 04:56 PM 02-26-2015
I'll have to check out that Liquid Snow Shovel. It sounds much safer than what I bought. I'm just too old and fat to be shoveling snow! It kills my back.

I also love my Sam's Club membership. At one time, I belonged to B.J.'s and another time I belonged to Costco. Buying in bulk really does save a good bit of money. I just used some of my tax refund and bought months worth of paper towels (I bought one case which will take me months to use), toilet paper (again, one case will last months), diaper wipes, pretty much everything other than groceries. So I not only save in the price of the item, but also in gasoline with less shopping trips and with less shopping, less of me grabbing up little extras that happen to catch my eyes.
Reply Up