Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nap Mats
mskaykay 09:25 PM 02-21-2017
I am finally in the process of setting up my home daycare after many years of teaching and directing at centers. My question is this... What do most of you use for naptime? Do you have children bring their own bedding? Do you provide the plastic mats or cots like centers? My daughter briefly went to a home daycare that just laid a bunch of blankets on the ground and the kids crashed on those (which I hated by the way) I think I want something that folds easily into their cubbies and just be thrown in the wash but all the commercial sets seem so expensive. Does anyone have a wonderful tip for naptime bedding?
Lil_Diddle 01:12 AM 02-22-2017
I have the foldable mats, you can get them at Walmart at the beginning of the school year so I imagine they are online their as well. They are easily cleaned and fold away nice. I want them to be somewhere comfortable so I wouldn't just put the children on the floor. That also does not seem the most sanitary.
debbiedoeszip 03:46 AM 02-22-2017
I'm in Canada and our prices might be different here but I found the price of nap mats and cots to be very high ($100+ for each) and so I ended up buying crib mattresses for the toddlers and preschoolers and packnplays for the infants. I chose the cheapest Walmart crib mattress with a removable/washable cover.

Also, being in Canada (Ontario) I'm restricted to 5 or 6 daycare children (my own is old enough to not be included in the numbers) so I don't have so many mattresses to be storing between naps. It works for me.
LysesKids 04:35 AM 02-22-2017
Originally Posted by mskaykay:
I am finally in the process of setting up my home daycare after many years of teaching and directing at centers. My question is this... What do most of you use for naptime? Do you have children bring their own bedding? Do you provide the plastic mats or cots like centers? My daughter briefly went to a home daycare that just laid a bunch of blankets on the ground and the kids crashed on those (which I hated by the way) I think I want something that folds easily into their cubbies and just be thrown in the wash but all the commercial sets seem so expensive. Does anyone have a wonderful tip for naptime bedding?
Check state regulations...many require something at least 2" off the ground/thick; I personally use 3" crib mattresses because I do nothing but under 24 months and state reg's say we have to transition to mats at 12 months (babes sleep in PnP's until then). I also supply all sheets & light blankets for older kids. I just throw linens in the wash each night because the babies drool/spit up on them all day and that way I know they are clean
Jupadia 05:19 AM 02-22-2017
I have 3 diffrent things I use for naps. Also from Canada Ontario so can have 5 (both of mine count).
I have 2 cots (angel rest) that stack toghter that I love. But I was given them from a relative who closed her home daycare so they were free. Cost about 60 or so each. I use these the most cause there off the floor. One day I may spend a bit more and get a 3rd one.
I have 2 camp foam mats as well for backup or when someone moves out of pack and play.

Plus 2 pack and plays my youngest sleeps in one and a daycare kid (who will be moving to mat soon)
My oldest 4 years sleeps in his own room for nap (or now rather stays awake in there).

I provide blankets for the kids and just fold them away after nap. This way I just gather them up at the end of the week and wash. Don't have to worry about back znd forth beding that may be forgotten.
Baby Beluga 05:58 AM 02-22-2017
I'm in the states - I use foldable kindermats, a body pillow cover for a sheet and each child has their own lightweight fleece blanket. The blankets are the fleece "throw" type blankets you can get at Walmart for like $2.50. I've been using the same ones for 3+ years with weekly washings and they have help up nicely.

All of the items fold and fit nicely into one of those wide plastic drawer organizers.
Sumshine 06:48 AM 02-22-2017
I bought a 6 pack of cots! I like them a lot they are easy to store, arrange, deep clean, and sanitize. I believe they were $140-160 for all 6! They were a pain to assemble though!

Any kiddo 1+ who is ready for them gets to sleep on the! None of my kiddos seem opposed to them and they all sleep well! Kiddos under 1 stay in my portacrib in the nap room or pnp in the general daycare area. I try to transition to the cots as soon as possible after 1 because I only take one infant at a time so if a kiddo turns 1 and I refill the infant spot right away I need the crib and pnp available.

I know a lot of providers use mats of some sort but when I started setting up the cots just seemed like the most logical choice.

I use the fleece throws PP mentioned and I like them a lot! The kiddos like them too! We keep our blankets on our cots and everyone usues the same cot every day. Friday after nap they go into the wash. I do allow blankets from home but typically the kids honestly just prefer mine unless if their blanket is a comfort mechanism to them.
Blackcat31 06:52 AM 02-22-2017
I use Kindermats too. I buy and replace any that need be in Aug/Sept when school supplies are out. I usually wait until the last minute and find them on clearance for less than $3.

They wipe clean, are easy to store and provide enough cushion that the kids rest comfortably. Each child has their own pillow and blanket. Bedding is left here and laundered by me. No one is allowed to bring blankets or bedding from home as I do not want bed bugs, lice or scabies etc brought in.

I was tempted to buy cots but in 20+ years none of my kids has had issues with napping on a mat so I've just never made the change.
hwichlaz 07:31 AM 02-22-2017
I use cots, but I've found that the airflow under them in the winter time can make them a bit too cool, so I ended up also having to purchase crib sized matress pads to go under the crip sheets I use on them.
daycarediva 09:24 AM 02-22-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I use Kindermats too. I buy and replace any that need be in Aug/Sept when school supplies are out. I usually wait until the last minute and find them on clearance for less than $3.

They wipe clean, are easy to store and provide enough cushion that the kids rest comfortably. Each child has their own pillow and blanket. Bedding is left here and laundered by me. No one is allowed to bring blankets or bedding from home as I do not want bed bugs, lice or scabies etc brought in.

I was tempted to buy cots but in 20+ years none of my kids has had issues with napping on a mat so I've just never made the change.

Same. Works great!
mskaykay 11:45 AM 02-22-2017
Thank you everyone for your responses! I was thinking kindermats were the way to go.... now the search is on for the best deal! thanks again!
lovemykidstoo 02:34 PM 02-22-2017
Where is the cheapest place to get kindermats?
Lovisa 05:59 AM 02-23-2017
I use these! Easily washable and the kids love them!

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...:37613186:TRUS
Blackcat31 06:09 AM 02-23-2017
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Where is the cheapest place to get kindermats?
I've always bought them at Walmart or Target during school supply season but I bet you can search nap mats and find a place like Discount School Supply or Classroom Direct (or even Walmart .com) that sells them in classroom packs for a decent price.
AmyKidsCo 12:38 PM 02-23-2017
In WI we need to have 2" mats. I used to have tri-fold mats and those worked well for many years. A year ago I switched to Regalo cots to prevent the "my toes are on the mat so that counts even though my whole body is laying across the floor"

They've held up pretty well, although one set of sheets has a rip in a corner. And now instead of the toe thing the kiddos lay off the edge with their heads upside down. I can't win...
Unregistered 02:01 AM 02-28-2017
Each child brings a sleeping bag. I have those pop up laundry bins from Walmart for storage. They only cost $3.00. Bedding can't touch. This works great. I just drop them in. They slide in so easy.
Tags:mats
Reply Up