Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Call from Potential DCD?
Unregistered 04:45 PM 02-22-2017
So Im opening next month and I got a call from a father. I know there are plenty of dads that are heavily involved with their kids, but I guess I didn't expect to get a call from a dad to set up an interview. Do you think its legit? anyone have any experience?

I obviously googled the heck out of him and found a FB and linked in page that goes with what he says, assuming that was his page lol. Ive been advertising so it makes me nervous to give out my address. Can anyone give me any advise. He found my business on google. Im listed on a few places.
LysesKids 05:00 PM 02-22-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
So Im opening next month and I got a call from a father. I know there are plenty of dads that are heavily involved with their kids, but I guess I didn't expect to get a call from a dad to set up an interview. Do you think its legit? anyone have any experience?

I obviously googled the heck out of him and found a FB and linked in page that goes with what he says, assuming that was his page lol. Ive been advertising so it makes me nervous to give out my address. Can anyone give me any advise. He found my business on google. Im listed on a few places.
I have had a few dad's contact me - I always set up interviews with both parents, but I don't give out the address until they confirm by phone 3 hrs before set time... I also talk to both parents on the phone first before setting up my meet & greet. If they have questions about my website or policies this is when they usually ask them - no use meeting if we butt heads on how I run because I will not budge on certain things (especially if it's a state reg); having a website with policies helps weed out some families right off the bat.
jenboo 05:02 PM 02-22-2017
I have a few familes where i primarily interact with the dad's. I don't see why it would make a difference???
Pestle 05:29 PM 02-22-2017
Why are you so concerned?
Lil_Diddle 08:24 PM 02-22-2017
I've had two families where the dad was the primary contact, one was a single father with full custody. I see no cause for concern just because it's the father.
childcaremom 02:01 AM 02-23-2017
Yes, I think it's legit. I deal with both dcps.

I also have my dh do a lot of the phone calls that need to be made.
Josiegirl 02:10 AM 02-23-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
In this day and age we do need to be cautious. It's a fine line we walk, meeting with people we don't know and trying to trust them as much as they need to trust us.

OP, are you by yourself or can you have a SO be present at the time of meeting? I do believe in protecting ourselves. But as far as it being a mom or dad calling, I don't think it makes a difference, they're both the parent.
DaveA 03:55 AM 02-23-2017
Just do whatever your normal pre-interview procedure is.
Hunni Bee 05:28 AM 02-23-2017
I deal with more dad's than mom's. I wouldn't be concerned unless he gave you a weird vibe. This isn't the 50s.
Blackcat31 05:35 AM 02-23-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
This was my initial thought too.

I am honestly a bit surprised that in this day and age that it's even a questionable situation.
Blackcat31 05:37 AM 02-23-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
In this day and age we do need to be cautious. It's a fine line we walk, meeting with people we don't know and trying to trust them as much as they need to trust us.

OP, are you by yourself or can you have a SO be present at the time of meeting? I do believe in protecting ourselves. But as far as it being a mom or dad calling, I don't think it makes a difference, they're both the parent.
OPs concern doesn't seem to be directed at meeting anyone alone but more about the fact that it's a male parent verses a female parent.

I totally agree about it being a fine line for safety reasons but safety isn't what the OP's post sees to be conveying.
Second Home 06:26 AM 02-23-2017
I have had single parent dads as clients where the mom was not in the picture at all .

I usually try to hold all my interviews when my dh is home , he may not be in the same room but available if I need him .
If I ever had a bad feeling during a phone interview then I would never have a face to face interview no matter who called .
Cat Herder 06:27 AM 02-23-2017
I'm wondering if OP is simply young. Females have been taught "stranger danger" with a male image of a predator their entire childhoods. It takes a minute or two to get out of their system.

I was really nervous the first time an unknown man came to my home when I was alone. All I could think of was how John Walsh was going to narrate my story.... were people going to be shouting "dumba$$, run!!" at the screen...

OP, my advice, never interview with children in your care, have someone available to assist you quickly if possible, learn self defense at the level you are most comfortable (I like .45) and use common sense. Women are just as dangerous, please never trust someone simply because they are female. Pretty please.
Lovisa 06:44 AM 02-23-2017
I understand being a little more cautious with it being a dad rather than a mom contacting you (fair or not, I do the same thing). It has happened a few times for me and only one of them ended up having an interview with me. I made sure to have my husband home during because even he is uncomfortable with a strange man coming into our home with me alone here.

I also go with my gut (male or female potential client). If I get a bad vibe, I never set up an interview.
Meeko 08:41 AM 02-23-2017
I don't think twice about setting up an interview with a man. But that is because my family are always here during an interview (in another room).

If I was a single woman, I WOULD think twice about letting an unknown man into my home while there alone.
daycarediva 10:08 AM 02-23-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I'm wondering if OP is simply young. Females have been taught "stranger danger" with a male image of a predator their entire childhoods. It takes a minute or two to get out of their system.

I was really nervous the first time an unknown man came to my home when I was alone. All I could think of was how John Walsh was going to narrate my story.... were people going to be shouting "dumba$$, run!!" at the screen...

OP, my advice, never interview with children in your care, have someone available to assist you quickly if possible, learn self defense at the level you are most comfortable (I like .45) and use common sense. Women are just as dangerous, please never trust someone simply because they are female. Pretty please.
This made me spit out water. HILARIOUS!

I agree.

I have many single dads, or Dad as the primary contact. It has yet to be a safety issue. If you're nervous, you could always have a male friend/relative stay in another room if you decide to interview.

I ALWAYS have my dh home, no kids present when I interview.
284878 10:34 AM 02-23-2017

:
Too funny
DaveA 01:02 PM 02-23-2017

Am I the only one, or does anyone else picture whatever their mental image of Cat Herder is beating the living @#%& out of some guy with a kid's chair?
Cat Herder 01:21 PM 02-23-2017
Originally Posted by DaveA:
Am I the only one, or does anyone else picture whatever their mental image of Cat Herder is beating the living @#%& out of some guy with a kid's chair?
Eh, if you find yourself in a fair fight, you are doing it wrong.
Ariana 03:42 PM 02-23-2017
Just a tip, the dads are WAY more annoying than the moms! Lol. I find if you have a dad who is the primary parent he is, in general, anal as all get out be extra prepared for lots of questions. I think it was a dad who was my first parent to ever ask me about my records check, in general the moms care way less. I think moms go by vibes moreso than the dads.

Sorry way off topic!
racemom 07:00 PM 02-23-2017
Originally Posted by DaveA:
Now I do, Thanks dave!😆
Unregistered 04:18 PM 02-24-2017
well to clarify, I was thinking about my safety. I would've been home alone and my very 1st call for my daycare was a guy. however I went through with it and he brought his wife. it was a great interview.

I'll add, it's a lot of crazy ppl these days doing all sorts of stuff so everyone should be somewhat cautious inviting strangers I to our homes.
Meeko 01:34 PM 02-26-2017
I don't worry too much about safety as my family is all here all the time. But we still keep the doors locked at all times and take reasonable precautions.

You hear of women going to hospitals and trying to steal babies. They still do it knowing that security is high. I am just waiting for a report of someone going to a daycare during the day and trying to steal a baby. Would be much easier than a hospital if the daycare allows daytime interviews/visits etc. Especially if all the person had to deal with is one provider, who has to protect all the rest of the children.

A home daycare visit is also a dream come true for a pedophile.

I only allow visits after hours and only if I am not alone.

If I was single, I would make sure I had a friend over during interview time. They don't have to be right there. Just noisy enough in another room to make it obvious others are in the home.

Some may think I'm paranoid, but I would rather be safe than sorry.
Mom2Two 07:26 PM 02-27-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Just a tip, the dads are WAY more annoying than the moms! Lol. I find if you have a dad who is the primary parent he is, in general, anal as all get out be extra prepared for lots of questions. I think it was a dad who was my first parent to ever ask me about my records check, in general the moms care way less. I think moms go by vibes moreso than the dads.

Sorry way off topic!
I have found this too. When dads are the ones who are doing the calling, they are sometimes control freaks.

But also, I would not like to ever do an interview when I'm here by myself. I've almost always had my husband here, or at least my teenage son.
DaveA 04:03 AM 02-28-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
well to clarify, I was thinking about my safety. I would've been home alone and my very 1st call for my daycare was a guy. however I went through with it and he brought his wife. it was a great interview.

I'll add, it's a lot of crazy ppl these days doing all sorts of stuff so everyone should be somewhat cautious inviting strangers I to our homes.
Glad the interview went well.

Originally Posted by Ariana:

Sorry way off topic!
Now I've found the exact opposite to be true- I have WAY more trouble with single moms. Aside from the percentage that won't even deal with me because I'm a guy a good number feel the need to act like this is the first child I've ever even seen. Most of the single dads or dads who are my primary contact are much easier to work with. Maybe that's because they feel more comfortable with me.
Tags:personal safety, security, self defense, self protection
Reply Up