Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>15 Month Old Drool
lovemykidstoo 06:15 AM 11-27-2018
Please refresh my memory, when does a child start to learn how to close their mouth? I have a 15 month old dcb that walks around with his mouth hanging out and drool spilling out all over everything. It's so gross! I put a bib on him and it's saturated but that doesn't even help because he bends over to get a toy out a bin and it just spills right in. Is there anything at all to help him learn how to do that?
rosieteddy 06:24 AM 11-27-2018
Some kids you have to teach .I had a few who wore bibs and I constantly told them to'' swallow your spit".It took a couple of weeks but they got it.I found that it was worse with children who still had the pacifier at home.That worked as a plug and they were not aware that they were swallowing.So when I took it away at DC they had to learn to swallow.I would mention it to parents get them on board.Gross right.
lovemykidstoo 06:36 AM 11-27-2018
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
Some kids you have to teach .I had a few who wore bibs and I constantly told them to'' swallow your spit".It took a couple of weeks but they got it.I found that it was worse with children who still had the pacifier at home.That worked as a plug and they were not aware that they were swallowing.So when I took it away at DC they had to learn to swallow.I would mention it to parents get them on board.Gross right.
Here he has his paci only at naptime. I'm going to ask about at home. I do go up and close his mouth and say close your mouth, swallow, but I don't think he understands that at all. I read that maybe using cups with straws helps develop those muscles, but don't know if that's true.
rosieteddy 07:59 AM 11-27-2018
I always took paci away at 12 months.I bet the parents let him have it whenever.It does work like a plug and baby swallows the saliva .He will learn but it takes awhile bibs all the time even outside.
Ac114 08:36 AM 11-27-2018
I have one of these droolers and he spits up worse than any infant I’ve ever seen. He’s approaching 14 months so I don’t know how to keep the spit up at bay. It’s so gross, I’ll find piles of spit up and drools all over my play room. No advice but I totally feel ya! Let me know if you’ve figured something out.
trytobearunner34 09:52 AM 11-27-2018
My own 19 month old can be an excessive drooler (especially if she has teeth coming in). She also is delayed in speech and works with a speech language pathologist (SLP). The SLP says teaching them not to drool at this age is tough. My daughter uses a straw cup which has helped. The SLP also suggested using something like veggie straws to get her acclimated to using the back part of her mouth. I am comfortable doing this as it's my child. I don't think I would be comfortable doing it with one of the other kids.
Tags:15 month old, drool, drooling
Reply Up