Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wits End Potty Training
MissAnn 05:27 AM 02-24-2016
I've posted about this situation several times.
I am a preschool and I don't usually have pull up or diaper kids here. This past year I had to accept 3 and all but one is now fully potty trained.

The one who isn't....mom and dad think he's autistic. He is not. He shows no signs of it. He is difficult for them but not for me...unless you count potty training.

Mom and dad baby him but insist they don't. Both carry him in and out. He makes his mom also carry in several toys every morning to show me. She carries him and the toys. This morning it was a dump truck filled with other toys. She dropped some and he demanded she pick them up. She did. Then she carried him to the couch and he said...take my shoes off! Put them over there! And she did. Drives me crazy. I told her to leave them on and he will do it himself because he is a big boy. She did it anyway. She talks baby talk to him and he talks baby talk back to her. When she leaves I say....knock it off...and he does. I feel my biggest problem is the parents. I think he wants to be a baby because they treat him like one. They are sending the message that they like the babyish side of him...at least this is what I think. I've had frank conversations with mom and dad about having him do more for himself.....maybe chores. Let him show you that he is capable. I have even told them that they need to let him grow up. They come up with all sorts of ways they do not treat him like a baby. They just don't see their actions. The baby talk, The carrying him, the jumping at his demands.

At home he pitches a fit when they even ask him to go on the potty. They keep him in diapers now. He comes every morning in a diaper but I insist on pullups here.

Yesterday he said he's afraid it's going to hurt. We all assured him it doesn't hurt.

So...this is what I'm doing. He has to take off his pullup....retrieve a new one....throw the old one away.....wipe with a baby wipe and put on a new pull up. I'm on the fence whether I should have him sit on the potty. He has gone a total of one time on the potty here and that was in August!

Ideas? Should I start changing him on the diaper changing table? Keep doing what I'm doing...making him responsible for changing his pullup? What? The boy is great academically, behaviourly, and socially.
Unregistered 09:30 AM 02-24-2016
I would stop. I only train kids that are interested. I will not fight about it. Makes it WAY easier when they want to
NillaWafers 10:02 AM 02-24-2016
If the parents aren't on board then I wouldn't bother. If it interrupts your program I would term.
MissAnn 10:32 AM 02-24-2016
I know you guys are right. the good news is that out of the blue he pooped on the potty today. He was ultra proud. Hopefully HE will decide it's time. If not.....hopefully soon.
Thriftylady 01:04 PM 02-24-2016
Originally Posted by NillaWafers:
If the parents aren't on board then I wouldn't bother. If it interrupts your program I would term.
This. I no longer have the patience for parents like this.
MissAnn 03:31 PM 02-24-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
This. I no longer have the patience for parents like this.
Exactly. I wish they could see what I see. I honestly believe if they treated him like a 3.5 year old....he would become one.
Reply Up