Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Decorate for Halloween?
spud912 12:59 PM 09-13-2011
My playroom is in the room at my front door and I want to decorate for Halloween and I am at a loss as to how I should do it. Any ideas?

As a reference, I do not own any Halloween decorations (this is my first year as a dc provider). I am willing to spend some money, but not a huge amount. I already have plans for outside (fall wreath on door, hay bale next to door with pumpkins).
Country Kids 01:03 PM 09-13-2011
Instead of decorating for Halloween why not just decorate for fall. It covers about 3 months (Sept-Nov.). You could add mums, apples, leaves, etc. You could change things around at the beginning of the month if you wanted.
daycare 01:36 PM 09-13-2011
I do as country mom posted and then have the daycare kids make things. We put a giant poster on my front door of pumpkins covered in glitter. They are for fall and perhaps as halloween comes closer, we will decorate some jack o lanters out of paper and add to it. Just about everything that we decorate with the kids made.

We dont' have much rain here in the fall, the only thing that happens to the door poster is that it does fade a bit. I do tape things up in the windows and the kids just love it....I think the parents do too.

last year I got weveral medium size pumpkins from the patch around late sept. I had about 15 total and I lined them up my walk way. Then in october I let the kids paint a few of them for halloween. We made decorated cofffe cans with all kinds of black paint and glitter, stickers or whatever sounds good...then placed them along the walk way along with the pumpkins... All of the coffee cans were donated by the parents.... We then took candles and placed them in the coffee cans (or glow sticks) at night....

I saved all of them and will do it again this year, but may add to it
Blackcat31 01:56 PM 09-13-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Instead of decorating for Halloween why not just decorate for fall. It covers about 3 months (Sept-Nov.). You could add mums, apples, leaves, etc. You could change things around at the beginning of the month if you wanted.
That's what I do! I HATE Halloween!!!

Probably because it is my birthday but....whatever, it is NOT my favorite holiday.
(can you hear the left over childhood issues?!? LOL!!! )
Happiness 02:34 PM 09-13-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Probably because it is my birthday but....whatever, it is NOT my favorite holiday.
(can you hear the left over childhood issues?!? LOL!!! )
*cracks you*... too funny... I hear ya though.. my daughters birthday is on halloween... and I REFUSE to ever have a halloween birthday party for her unless she asks for one.... what a RIP off that would be huh....

I too love the idea of FALL decor... also have to remember not to do anything too scary... one year I had a vampire mask thingie and the younger ones HATED it... and so I had to take it down....
Blackcat31 02:42 PM 09-13-2011
Originally Posted by Happiness:
*cracks you*... too funny... I hear ya though.. my daughters birthday is on halloween... and I REFUSE to ever have a halloween birthday party for her unless she asks for one.... what a RIP off that would be huh....

I too love the idea of FALL decor... also have to remember not to do anything too scary... one year I had a vampire mask thingie and the younger ones HATED it... and so I had to take it down....
Yeah, I think I was about 5 before I figured out that all the hoopla wasn't really for me!!! LOL!! Now, I am just ornery about the whole thing!

FWIW, I always got cake with black and orange frosting...black frosting!?!? kinda like green eggs and ham!

I totally feel for your daughter. Tell her I feel her pain!!
AfterSchoolMom 03:06 PM 09-13-2011
Dollar Tree is a great resource for cheap fall and Halloween decorations. They just put their stuff out, and everything is really cute.
mom2many 03:18 PM 09-13-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
This what I do!
Cat Herder 11:53 AM 09-15-2011
I decorate for Halloween more than any other Holiday. (Friendly Childrens Style, Nothing Scary)

THERE. I admit it.

It is my favorite "holiday".....

It is all about my kids and I laughing, dressing up, carving pumpkins, eating smores, going to the corn maze, drinking warm apple cider, watching fun movies like Halloween Town and playing together.

No relatives come over, I don't have to buy gifts, I don't have to host, babysit or cook for anyone....It is just the best time of the year when you are the oldest female child in your family (Mom passed the hostess torch to me years ago, smart Woman).

It is pure, un-adulterated fun here, a true Childrens Holiday..
Attached: Friendly Halloween Decor at Party City.jpg (115.2 KB) 
lovemyjob 12:10 PM 09-15-2011
Halloween is so fun here. We go all out. In my front entry I used the plastic door covers form the dollar store. Hang them on the walls...lots of bang for buck. A lighted pumpkin here and there...cobwebs, black garbag back sliced and hanging in my doorways (like streamers). White trash bags with ghosts drawn on them with permanant marker....cut out and automatically sticks to mirrors and windows (static cling). We hide spiders, make funky monsters with our food that week, and I always have a special (but small) party with lots of fun fooods. Our favorites are large stick pretzels dipped in almond bark and sprinkles, and witches hats made from sugar cones, and a fudge stripe cookie. Made corndog "bats". Cheese was cut in wing shapes and set under corndog, vampire teeth of carrots etc. Fun, fun fun!
MarinaVanessa 03:09 PM 09-15-2011
Originally Posted by Happiness:
.... what a RIP off that would be huh....
Did you mean the Halloween pun here or was it an accident? RIP off = Rest In Peace off. I thought it was funny. If you did it on accident then I find it WAY funnier.
E Daycare 06:38 PM 09-15-2011
I LOVE Halloween, this has always been my favorite holiday as its spun great memories of my late mother. That being said Ive always gone all out for Halloween in the 11yrs ive been married and the two years weve had our ds. This year will be the 1st year with dck that arent babies so Im a little curious how they will handle stuff but figure I can tone it down. Its not necessary to have those fake blood covered fingers scattered in the mulch amongst the jelly rats BUT it is necessary for me to have my fog machine.

Ill make it work for them but intend on going all out as I always do.
Meyou 09:45 AM 09-16-2011
I love halloween. In fact....I'm counting down the days until I can decorate without being teased unmercifully by my family by decorated months in advance. lol

Try the dollar store. They have some decent, friendly halloween decorations out there now. I got a few thinks the other day including two large sparkly bats that the kids love. Ok....so I put a few things up already. :P
Tags:halloween, playroom
Reply Up