Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nightmare after Halloween?
queenbee 08:35 PM 10-21-2011
Does anyone do a different schedule for the day after Halloween?

We treat our candy-induced, hungover children like itty bitty babies:

Arrival
Hearty Breakfast
Quiet Play - Books, Puzzles, Coloring, Stuffed Animals
Morning Nap (Every child in care goes down for a morning nap)
Outdoor Play
A stick-to-your-bones lunch
Story
Afternoon Nap (Every child goes down for another nap)
Movie
See ya laters!

I don't like after-Halloween monsters

I push out the sugar with good exercise and healthy food and everyone catches up on sleep that they missed the night before. It's calm, quiet and we all have a nice transitional day into our regular schedule.
Kaddidle Care 06:24 AM 10-22-2011
Originally Posted by queenbee:

Love it!

You made me think ahead to what my hours are that day. Tee hee! I don't think any of us have a full day in our Center which will help us keep our sanity.

I've found party days are the worst - you'd think they'd be tired from all of the excitement but they never go down for naps well on party days.
Blackcat31 07:30 AM 10-22-2011
I don't do anything special for the day after Halloween (or any special day/holiday).

Controlling the sugar/candy intake (i.e. the next days mood/feeling/behaviors) is NOT my problem. I do send a note home with parents telling them that if their child is having a severe candy hangover, they will be called and asked to come pick up their child.

Parents need to be the ones who control the actions of their child the night before childcare (holiday or not) if they expect to drop them off here the next day for someone else to care for.

Halloween and other holiday days will continue to fall randomly on various days throughout a child's life. The parent best get a grip on how they are going to handle it now so they have it covered later during the school years etc.

I treat days like this as if it were any other day and expect children to come fed, well rested and ready for the day's activites.

If I let this one slide, it quickly becomes "Billy stayed up late last night because he wanted to watch the Transformer marathon until midnight so he may seem a little sluggish today and need some extra attention......" Bleh.....

If your child needs to be somewhere the next day that requires him/her to function, then put them to bed at a decent hour, don't overload them with sugar and/or busy activities. Do what needs to be done..... or keep them home.
iheartkids 07:51 AM 10-22-2011

Arrival
Hearty Breakfast
Outdoor Play
Story
Movie
See ya laters!

I push out the sugar with good exercise and healthy food and everyone catches up on sleep that they missed the night before. It's calm, quiet and we all have a nice transitional day into our regular schedule.
Great advice! I won't need it this year thankfully because I will only have a few kids and they are younger (non-candy eatting...hopefully)
2ndFamilyDC 05:28 AM 10-24-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I do send a note home with parents telling them that if their child is having a severe candy hangover, they will be called and asked to come pick up their child.

I love this idea, think I might do the same.
mismatchedsocks 06:34 AM 10-24-2011
I sent home 2 kids (brothers)last year the day after halloween. They threw up directly after breakfast. I asked them what they ate, they told me they hid the pumpkins in their room and ate alot at night, and then some in morning.

Other then that I dont do much different. I dont offer sweets here, but on a rare occasion, and i find they sleep better the day after, with a hefty lunch!
cheerfuldom 06:40 AM 10-24-2011
I don't have a huge issue with this. This year all my daycare kids are 2 and under and we don't currently have any junk food families. I just have to keep my own two older kids away from the candy stash. they get a little bit and the rest goes to church to given out for the sunday school kids.
Hunni Bee 05:40 PM 10-24-2011

Arrival
Hearty Breakfast
Outdoor Play
Story
Movie
See ya laters!

I was wondering what I was going to do...especially since Halloween falls on a Monday this year, so as soon as I get done with the Weekend Detox, I'm going to have to do Halloween Detox for the rest of the week.

I like your idea, but I know disrupting their schedule will make them even worse. So I'm going to do everything we usually do...except 5 minute circle time instead of 15, no little toys will be available at center time, 1+ hours of outside time in the am and pm, early nap.

Thanks for the idea!
Tags:halloween, halloween - schedule
Reply Up