Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Halloween-Not Daycare Related
nanglgrl 10:55 PM 09-28-2013
I just ordered my husbands Gru costume and my Vector costume. I'm going to make my two youngest children's minion costumes and we're going as Despicable Me characters (obviously). My 2 youngest love that movie and call the minions Cheetos.
My husbands going to greet them at the door dressed as Gru to take them trick or treating and I'm going to hurry and get in my Vector costume as soon as they leave. Then I'm going to "stalk" them through the neighborhood while my hubby blast me with the fart gun. Lol.
I always made my two oldest child's costumes but have been more relaxed with the younger two which is a little sad. My oldest have outgrown Halloween but still talk about how awesome it was when I made their costumes so I decided to go ahead and do it this year so they can have those memories too.
Cross your fingers for me that it won't end up like the Elmo birthday disaster of 2011. My 3 year old daughter loved Elmo so I planned to make an Elmo costume for my oldest to wear to the party to surprise my daughter. Things got crazy and I wasn't able to start the costume until the night before. I finished but sadly Elmo looked kinda scary and really sad...my daughter wanted nothing to do with the Elmo at her party and didn't really ever like Elmo again after that lol.
I'm sitting here typing this while listening to a live band a few blocks away (college town) while drunk college kids are hooting and hollering and I'm thinking "holy cow, It's Saturday night and I'm all excited about minion costumes". Lol
daycarediva 05:54 AM 09-29-2013
This is so awesome!

I made my kids Star Wars costumes one year; Leia, Luke, Yoda before youngest ds was born. DH went as Darth Vader and I was Queen Amidala. They all still talk about that year!
melilley 07:29 AM 09-29-2013
Awesome!

My mom used to make our costumes and I remember it to this day! I once was Bert and my sis was Ernie and I remember how cool I thought I was! I made my daughter's Sponge Bob costume one year and got many compliments on it, but it took me about a month to do...lol I'm not very crafty.

Isn't it funny how as we get older things change. I used to be one of those kids who went out and to parties and that was my life. And now I mostly think about and do kid things instead with minimal "party" (if that's what you would call it) time. Both chapters were and are fun and exciting, each in it's own way!
Sugar Magnolia 09:40 AM 09-29-2013
Worst homemade costume ever: my mom made me a Christmas present costume. Big box, wrapping paper, bow and two holes for eyes. Awkward!
She tried to redeem herself by making me a tub of butter the next year. Luckily, it was an epic fail and never came to fruition.
nanglgrl 10:08 AM 09-29-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
Awesome!

My mom used to make our costumes and I remember it to this day! I once was Bert and my sis was Ernie and I remember how cool I thought I was! I made my daughter's Sponge Bob costume one year and got many compliments on it, but it took me about a month to do...lol I'm not very crafty.

Isn't it funny how as we get older things change. I used to be one of those kids who went out and to parties and that was my life. And now I mostly think about and do kid things instead with minimal "party" (if that's what you would call it) time. Both chapters were and are fun and exciting, each in it's own way!
I made my oldest a sponge bob costume one year. I used two old couch cushions. I bonded the sides together using gorilla glue and his body went in between them. Then I used a razor blade to "carve" the foam, spray painted it yellow and painted the face on glued on fabric to make it look like sponge bob was a pirate. His head was under the pirate hat on top and I put eye holes in the hat. It looked awesome but for some reason a lot of older people thought he was a huge piece of Wisconsin cheese! Lol
nanglgrl 10:08 AM 09-29-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
This is so awesome!

I made my kids Star Wars costumes one year; Leia, Luke, Yoda before youngest ds was born. DH went as Darth Vader and I was Queen Amidala. They all still talk about that year!
I love making those memories!
nanglgrl 10:14 AM 09-29-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
This is so awesome!

Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Worst homemade costume ever: my mom made me a Christmas present costume. Big box, wrapping paper, bow and two holes for eyes. Awkward!
She tried to redeem herself by making me a tub of butter the next year. Luckily, it was an epic fail and never came to fruition.
A tub of butter?!
My oldest daughter always thought if really out of the box costumes, one year I made her into a tree, her arms were branches, there was a birds nest on her shoulder and I braided her hair incorporating yellow yard and then twisted it on top of her head to look like a bee hive and put fake bees on wire so it looked like they were flying around the hive.
When my oldest son was 3 I made an incredibly detailed Elvis Presley costume for him and we went trick or treating at the mall, the news picked it up and said Elvis Presley was seen at the mall!
Michelle 03:42 PM 09-29-2013
My BFF thought she was hilarious when she made a cereal box costume for herself and carried around a fake knife ( Serial killer) haha

I thought it was clever but gross... she even put fake blood on herself.

Starburst 04:09 PM 09-29-2013
Halloween is my favorite holiday! But the last 2 years (soon to be 3) I have had school on Halloween night {what are the odds of all the classes I need always landing on Halloween}.

The first year I worked as a seasonal tour guide and got to wear a pirate costume all month and worked on Halloween day, so I did get to kinda celebrate a little bit (dressing up), I just went home after work and took of my costume.

Last year I didn't work there and had school all day. I didn't want to be in a costume all day at campus, so I just threw together some things from my closet. I got my tiger hat, an orange Halloween shirt that had a black kitten in a pumpkin, a glow-in-the-dark skeleton hoody, and black leggings and shoes. I came up with it the day of and made up a back story:
I was a radio-active Tigress/Panther hybrid zombie that (along with my young only surviving panther club) was hunted by poacher. As they were skinning my pelt, angry PETA members scared away the poachers and stole what was left of my body and attempted to give my cub and I a proper burial in a cemetery, that unbeknownst to them, was the dumping ground for radio-active waste from a nuclear power plant up the hill; which cause my cub and I to come back to life. We decided to seek revenge on the poachers who killed my cub and I and to collect my missing fur, so we can return to our grave and rest in peace.

This year, I am thinking about being Fionna from "Adventure Time with Fionna and Cake" (One of my cats looks just like Cake, I might carry a picture of her around with me). I have the bunny ears hat and a light blue shirt. I either need to get a blue skirt or I may just wear my blue short jeans.
jenn 05:14 PM 09-29-2013
My 5 year old daughter wants to be a cheerleader. My husband is going to be either an umpire or a football player, whatever she decides. She knows mom's costume is "Mom". I'm a party pooper.
Sunshine74 08:37 PM 09-29-2013
My mom always made our costumes, so now I usually make my own too.

My favorite was when I was Fiona, and my husband was Shrek. I found a long green dress and stenciled a pattern on it with gold paint. I made my husband a vest our of burlap and he wore a long sleeve, off-white shirt. Of course we had Shrek ears and painted our faces green.

I think this year's costumes are going to be super heroes.
countrymom 05:55 AM 09-30-2013
my ds is going as the doctor from doctor who----his older sister said so lol!

odd is going as little red riding hood. Last year I made her costume, dorthey from the wizard of oz. I sewed the whole dress, had no pattern and it turned out great. We found runners that we painted with red sparkle.

the other 2 kids I'm not sure yet. I think we convinced ydd to go as a female version of captain american with a tutu--I think she should go as a cow girl because thats her choice of clothing right now.
MarinaVanessa 02:08 PM 09-30-2013
How cute!!

Our family is going as characters from the Wreck it Ralph movie.

My 8yo DD will be Vanellope Von Schweets
My 2yo DS will be Felix
My 2mo DS will be Gloyd Orangboar
My DH will be Ralph
And I will be Creumbelina De Carmello ... can't wait for Halloween
nanglgrl 06:39 PM 09-30-2013
I love all of these ideas. My neighborhood is right by a college and all of my neighbors are very artsy and creative so it's incredibly hard around here to be original when we go to the neighbors Halloween party!
This year I just decided to have fun with my kids instead of trying to think up an original costume for us. My neighbor decorates his yard wonderfully and throws a fun party and you wouldn't believe some if the costumes!
I've given up on winning the costume contest, at Christmas our neighbors who are in advertising always win the Best Christmas card award but we always have the best decorated house! It sounds competitive but it's all in good fun. When we first moved here no one on the block decorated for Christmas besides having a tree and 5 years later half of the block puts lights up.
I love the Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas time of year but as soon as Jan 1st hits I'm aching for summer!
Candy 07:19 PM 09-30-2013
We're doing the monster high theme this year. Not sure if the boys are doing the same thing I might make them just so we can keep the theme going. 2 years ago I dressed up in a gas suit and scared all the kids in the subdivision. I must say I was very pleased with my self that year
Tags:halloween
Reply Up