Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Unsafe Bottle Ugh
juliebug 10:48 AM 01-28-2011
So yesterday mom brought a bottle for nap time and when i went to wash it out the nipple broke~! ripped right apart. so i told mom it broke and she said "well i knew it was getting bad" guess i only have 2 left now. So today i make sure to check the nipple before feeding him his nap time bottle and yeah this one is so bad you can see holes all around the side and it leaks! if i pull to hard it would rip right apart too, so i get out my bottle for the guy.

the child is 16month old but mom is not ready to take bottle away so he only gets it at naptime otherwise he will not sleep ugh

so how would you talk to mom about this i can't feed the child with a bottle that is unsafe no way. nipple really can't cost that much or other wise lets just do no bottles !
laundrymom 10:51 AM 01-28-2011
I'd just do a cup then nap.
countrymom 10:56 AM 01-28-2011
I have a dcb and dcg who I took the bottle away at nap time. We had no bottles here but at home they still have bottles and soothers. If I were you I would get rid of the bottle, less of a head ache for you.
Mrs.Ky 11:02 AM 01-28-2011
You can try a nuby cup at naptime they have a soft spout like a bottle. I would not be giving him bottles anyways he is 16 months old he does not need it bottles do not come to my daycare once a child is one and pacis dont come once a child is two.
DCMomOf3 11:06 AM 01-28-2011
you could print out this article for mom just as an FYI since she has to find out another one of hers broke.
When to Replace bottle nipples and bottles

I would cut the bottle out all together and just provide cups at 16 months. He will fit at first, but he is old enough. I would also never leave a bottle with a child in a crib.
juliebug 11:13 AM 01-28-2011
he doesn't get to sleep with it just held in quite dark room while he drinks it then in bed. he flips if it is a cup and not a bottle. maybe we will just get rid of the bottle all together! i think that would be the best. even it he sceams!
DCMomOf3 11:25 AM 01-28-2011
Originally Posted by juliebug:
he doesn't get to sleep with it just held in quite dark room while he drinks it then in bed. he flips if it is a cup and not a bottle. maybe we will just get rid of the bottle all together! i think that would be the best. even it he sceams!
it will be a hard few days but so worth it.
gkids09 11:29 AM 01-28-2011
I have a little boy who turned 1 in November. He is big for his age, and we figured out why...All he wanted to eat was cookies and drink bottles of milk. We finally cut out the bottles, and it's amazing how much he eats now (HEALTHY stuff!) He also uses a sippy cup now, which took a little while to get used to. He still cries a little when we put him down for nap, but we just put him down a little earlier than everyone else and he's asleep in about 10 minutes. (With no bottle or cup) THAT took about a week or two to get used to. He still gets the bottle at home, and instead of breakfast, mommy and daddy hand him a bottle as they go out the door to come to school. What I'm saying is, just because they have it at home doesn't mean they can't get used to not having it with you. I've had several come in with passies, and now they just turn around and hand it to mom or dad when they walk in because they know they can't keep it here.
Good luck!!
Abigail 11:32 AM 01-28-2011
I would switch also. Is that something you have to tell the parents? Would they be mad or glad if he was weaned from the bottle at daycare? 16 months is just wayyy to old to be having a bottle. Don't give in and just stick to a cup like others are saying. I would buy the cups yourself and keep them at your place.
juliebug 11:40 AM 01-28-2011
he does drink from a sippy cup during the day no problem it just nap time that he flips! mom has always rocked him with a bottle for sleep so if he doesn't have it he flips. but during the day no bottle and no problem!
Tags:bottle, bottle to cup, sippy cup
Reply Up