Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question Regarding Intruders
saks 04:16 AM 12-02-2011
There are so many good responses on this site about various situations, so I'll ask my question.

Should the director of a daycare inform parents of an intruder? I have my own opinion, but I'm a daycare worker and preschool aide, so my opinion may not match those of a director.

Just a quick rundown of what's happened....

Four weeks ago, an intruder entered our building. Our school doors have had a tendency of not shutting properly. Intruder entered, was in the classroom using our phone before we had even realized it. I did confront the intruder (we have no procedures in place) and he continued with his phone call. Fortunately, it appears as though he was just there to use the phone, but the police were called. Personally, I feel the parents should have been told. The director knows of the situation...she says she's verbally told MOST of the daycare parents. In talking to parents and asking them to make sure the door is closed because of the intruder, they look at me like I've got two heads...yes, the parents had NOT been told. I'm losing sleep over this one.
Kaddidle Care 04:21 AM 12-02-2011
I'm not sure I would tell them and worry them but I would be asking each parent to please make sure the door is closed properly upon leaving "For the Safety of the Children".

Who was this person that felt they had the right to walk in and use someone else's phone? Did he know the owner? What did the police do?
DaisyMamma 04:30 AM 12-02-2011
as a parent i would want to know
as a provider i wouldnt want to tell but you kind of have to!
saks 04:45 AM 12-02-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
I'm not sure I would tell them and worry them but I would be asking each parent to please make sure the door is closed properly upon leaving "For the Safety of the Children".

Who was this person that felt they had the right to walk in and use someone else's phone? Did he know the owner? What did the police do?

The intruder was unknown to all of us. The police took as much information as I could give him. I could describe what the man looked like and gave info about the vehicle he drove away in. But I didn't get the license plate number as he quickly drove out of the parking lot. Basically, the police couldn't do much without the license plate number. The officer did tell me though if it ever happens again, to call right away.
saks 04:51 AM 12-02-2011
Originally Posted by lymemomma:
as a parent i would want to know
as a provider i wouldnt want to tell but you kind of have to!
I feel as though they should have been told also! I think back to when my son was small...I would have wanted to be told. Heck, each year when my son was in high school there was a bomb threat of some sort. We had a phone call that evening! I guess I'm not an expert in any way...just a mom. And as a mom, I'd want the information.
Sunshine44 04:53 AM 12-02-2011
1. I would have called the police while he was there using my cell phone.
2. I'd fix the doors pronto. That situation could have been a lot worse than it was. If they don't come clean, call Lic.
Cat Herder 05:45 AM 12-02-2011
The ultimate decision, accountability and responsibility is the directors.

Following chain of command is a big issue when it comes to maintaining employment.

IME, It really will be a choice of "is this a big enough issue to lose my job over?".

You can, however, call a whistle blower line with licensing or the CCR&R if you feel they have not made changes to rectify the issue. That lets them investigate it/deal with it without risking your job.
countrymom 05:59 AM 12-02-2011
if the director knew the doors didn't close why didn't she fix them, as a parent I would be more miffed about that and blame the director than you. I would want to be told, but in a way that would be like "we had an incident that someone came in to use the phone and he wasn't a parent, please make sure that no one follows you in and that all doors are closed behind you" I would also install cameras at the front door too, what would happen if a child wondered away, let this be a lesson learned for the director.
Crystal 06:40 AM 12-02-2011
In California we would be required to notify Licensing of an "unusual incident" AND inform the parents. Failure to do so could result in citation and closure.
permanentvacation 10:23 AM 12-02-2011
Sounds to my like the typical director of a center - worry more about keeping the money rolling in then morals of telling parents about negative incidents that happen. Of course the director didn't tell the parents! If the parents were told, some of them might lose trust in the safety of their child attending that daycare and pull their child out. The director can't have that!

There's a center in my area that had a special needs child who actually left the property and walked all the way home during the day!!!!!!! The director made SURE the parents or licensing were NEVER told!!!!!!
GretasLittleFriends 12:29 PM 12-02-2011
I would say something to the parents, even at risk of losing my job. It was obviously a security issue. You never know what is going on in a family's personal life. What if a parent/child are in hiding from an abusive person. Think about the movie Kindergarten Cop. With all the crazy people now a days with the "you can't take my child from me" or "if I can't then nobody can" attitudes, I would be terrified for the safety of the children in that center.
Ariana 02:13 PM 12-02-2011
I think the parents need to be told. If the police were there the children could be scared or curious as to what's going on. When I worked in a centre a serious occurance happened near our daycare and the police were called a few of us were interviewed for witness statements. All of the parents were told that a "serious occurance" happened but no details were given. They were told that police came to the daycare and that their kids might be asking them questions.
saks 06:43 PM 12-02-2011
I do believe that the director has more interest in maintaining her title above anything. Now if you'd ask her, she would tell you she loves the children...and I do believe she does...to a point. This is a parochial school and many of the state guidelines do not apply. It's a crappy situation any way you look at it. There are red flags everywhere. Currently, the school board has become involved. Up to this point, she has not been accountable to anyone. The board has asked her for certain things regarding billing, etc...and she's not delivered as of yet. Next week's school board meeting will be very interesting.

I know one thing for certain....I will not lie for this woman regarding the intruder issue.
Tags:director, directors, notification, provider responsibility, safety issues, stranger danger
Reply Up