Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Private Daycare ?'s
Unregistered 07:38 AM 02-21-2018
In KS can I run a private daycare. Can I get into legal trouble if someone reports me of having a private daycare in my home. Thank you!
Blackcat31 07:46 AM 02-21-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
In KS can I run a private daycare. Can I get into legal trouble if someone reports me of having a private daycare in my home. Thank you!
What do you mean by private?

Are you referring to licensed through the state verses not licensed?

If so you can find out if you are legally required to be licensed here: https://www.daycare.com/kansas/
Unregistered 07:54 AM 02-21-2018
Yes exactly, I'v been looking at my options and read about people who don't renew their license and have what they call it a private daycare- unregistered. Do I have to get a license first for a year than I can have a private daycare. I plan on taking classes every year but not register with the state if possible.
storybookending 08:05 AM 02-21-2018
Yes exactly, I'v been looking at my options and read about people who don't renew their license and have what they call it a private daycare- unregistered. Do I have to get a license first for a year than I can have a private daycare. I plan on taking classes every year but not register with the state if possible.
From the link BC posted it appears that in your state you can only have two children that are unrelated to you if you do not wish to be licensed by the state. So yes you could run a daycare with only 2 children without being licensed prior. Any more than that and you would be considered illegal.
Unregistered 08:19 AM 02-21-2018
Okay thanks, I know of someone here who isn't licensed with like 6 kids and just sits outside and smokes all day while kids attend to themselves this is what her neighbor told me ..how is it possible that she's been getting away with it for years. It's crazy!
storybookending 08:36 AM 02-21-2018
Okay thanks, I know of someone here who isn't licensed with like 6 kids and just sits outside and smokes all day while kids attend to themselves this is what her neighbor told me ..how is it possible that she's been getting away with it for years. It's crazy!
It happens more often than you think. I’ll paraphrase a quote told to me by a woman that works in the state office. she basically said “we know there’s people out there running illegal daycares, some great programs and some not so great. We don’t have the time, staffing or resources to investigate everything”. Basically they’ll only investigate if there is a complaint but they can only do so much as they can’t do anything if the provider doesn’t answer the door or claims all the children are related. It is up to the parents in this case to be proactive and know who is watching their children and how they spend their days.
Unregistered 08:45 AM 02-21-2018
So if I'm getting it right, your saying if a licensed daycare get upset "that you are taking their business" and report me wouldn't really matter unless it's coming from my daycare families and report abuse, which won't happen from me,so if I feel like I'm running a safe , happy learning environment for my kiddos I have nothing to worry about
Blackcat31 09:00 AM 02-21-2018
So if I'm getting it right, your saying if a licensed daycare get upset "that you are taking their business" and report me wouldn't really matter unless it's coming from my daycare families and report abuse, which won't happen from me,so if I feel like I'm running a safe , happy learning environment for my kiddos I have nothing to worry about
While I agree that many state's have no way of monitoring illegal care, I would never risk that.

The biggest reason is that while there may be nothing licensing can do about it, what happens if a daycare child got hurt on your watch....your insurance is not going to cover you if you are operating illegally. The parent would have every right to sue you for everything you have, including your personal assets and above and beyond that monetarily if warranted.

I would also be highly concerned with the "type" of parent that chooses illegal care for their child. If they take risks like that in regards to their child what other things are they probably not on the up and up about...know what I mean?

You are also not able to participate with the food program unless you are licensed so that is another aspect of this profession that won't be available to you.

I don't know but personally I have enough of a conscience that I would never be able to operate illegally. In my state there is no consequence or penalty for operating without a license either (I think maybe being charged with a misdemeanor) but I could never do it as I feel integrity is an important trait that is quickly becoming a rare commodity.

At the end of the day, I need to know that I do things correctly and legally to the best of my abilities simply because its the right thing to do.
storybookending 09:01 AM 02-21-2018
NO. I am NOT saying that. I am saying that is how some people in MY state feel. Just because you feel like you are running a safe daycare is not enough. There is insurance and liability to consider. You will not be able to get insurance without a license. You can end up in legal trouble with insane fine and possibly jail time. I am NOT advocating breaking the law. I was just giving an example of how the woman you mentioned is possibly getting away with it. I would be reporting her as well if I were you.
Unregistered 09:08 AM 02-21-2018
Thanks for the feedback everyone gave me lots to think about greatly appreciated
daycarediva 09:10 AM 02-21-2018
Nope, they will shut you down if they find out, regardless of the type of program that you're running.
Blackcat31 09:19 AM 02-21-2018
Also Kansas has Lexie's Law.

It outlines the consequences of operating without a license if one is required.

http://www.kdheks.gov/bcclr/lexies_law.htm
Homebody 12:42 PM 02-21-2018
I'm in Kansas. From what I understand you can only watch no more than two kids unrelated, and no more than 20 hours per week.
LostMyMarbles 12:56 PM 02-21-2018
It won't matter who complains, you are going to get a visit from the state.

In my state we do not have legally unlicensed or private. You are either licensed or you are not. If you get turned in while unlicensed, you get shut down on the spot. You can then get licensed and be a good dobee like the rest of us, or you choose a different career.

Licensed providers are obligated to turn in the unlicensed. I feel that unlicensed must have something to hide. That is just MY opinion.

Better to be on the up and up than to constantly look over your shoulder.
Jdy2222 03:05 PM 02-21-2018
I'm in Florida, but when I first started watching kids about 8 years ago I wasn't registered/licensed and I had 3 kids from two different families. An "anonymous" caller (male, called the same day my soon to be ex husband was mad at me for not being able to drive the kids around on his parenting time ... not too hard to figure out who called) reported me and someone was out the next day. I was told I could only watch one family until I got the registration done. So they will come out.
Tags:illegal daycare, legally unlicensed
Reply Up