Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What To Do With New DCK Who Won't Eat
Countrygal 10:24 AM 02-28-2012
I have a new dcb who won't eat. Anything. Pretty much no matter what I serve. He eats 2 meals and 2 snacks here and won't eat a thing. He drinks his milk and water and that's about it. He was taking his 2 bites, but now won't even do that. When I ask him what he likes to eat he just says "crackers". Yet I serve crackers several times a week and he only eats one. All the other kids love my meals and I've even had kids who came here because I served such great meals. I'm stumped on this one. Any help would be appreciated. Just fyi he's in week #2 here and is suffering from some separation anxiety (from mom and grandma). Evidently he's never been away from family at a daycare facility before, and never even at his "aunts" for an extended period of time.

So far I've just been pretty much ignoring his lack of eating, trying to encourage but not pushing, hoping the other kids would win him over. Not working. He's actually getting worse, not better. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
daycare 10:30 AM 02-28-2012
I always say don't let it become a battle. DOn't make a big deal out of it. Children will always eat when they are hungry.

Sever the food, give ample amount of time for him to eat. If he chooses not to eat during that time, don't force him. He will eat. He will learn to eat when given the opportunity.

I would also find out from parents if he has eating issues at home. What do the parents do?

I have a DCG and her parents battle her to eat. As soon as I say food or lets eat she would fall to the floor scream crying. I talked to the parents and said NO more fighting her to eat. They stopped and withing 3 days all of the eating issues were GONE...
Soupyszoo 10:35 AM 02-28-2012
How old is he? My daughter is 2 and she has been the same way lately and she's with me!

She seems satisfied to drink and then isn't interested in food. So I don't give her a drink before meals. I also feed her and once she's eaten her meal she can have her drink. It's worked well so far.

Maybe he's full of fluids? Just an idea
kayla 10:37 AM 02-28-2012
I have this problem alot too...I think it's because soo many parents are lazy and feeding their children crap... I dont give in, I dont make special meals, I give them about 20 min with the food. If they dont eat it it goes in trash and they go to bed.
Countrygal 10:37 AM 02-28-2012
Gee, Daycare, I never thought of that. He acts very similar.
melskids 10:39 AM 02-28-2012
I agree with daycare.

It may be a control thing because he is still not sure of his new arrangement.

The only two things a child can control is what goes in their body, and what comes out.

Food and potty training are the two hills I won't die on.
Countrygal 10:40 AM 02-28-2012
Thanks, everyone! All good ideas. I don't let the kids have sippy cups all day here. They get drinks at meals and snacks and inbetween if they ask, which they usually don't.

I think that may be part of the problem. I think he is used to running around with a snack and sippy cup in his hand as well as food tucked away in his cheek. Besides the difference in food given - I serve healthy, homemade food - very little from a can or box.

So, I'm appreciating all of the ideas. All things I will consider when I have my next discussion about the issue with dkm.
daycare 10:41 AM 02-28-2012
Originally Posted by Countrygal:
Gee, Daycare, I never thought of that. He acts very similar.
I also had a kid that had never sat at a table to eat food in his life EVER. SO it was a huge change for him and it took a lot of getting used to. He would try to get up the second I sat him down. He was 3.5. He also would not eat anything I served. Eventually, I had to sit him in the high chair and teach him to feed himself. It was so sad.

I found out later he at nothing but bread and rice at home and the parents chased him all over the house spoon feeding him... Sadly my in-laws do this to my Niece too and she is due to start kinder this fall....
Countrygal 10:44 AM 02-28-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
I also had a kid that had never sat at a table to eat food in his life EVER. SO it was a huge change for him and it took a lot of getting used to. He would try to get up the second I sat him down. He was 3.5. He also would not eat anything I served. Eventually, I had to sit him in the high chair and teach him to feed himself. It was so sad.

I found out later he at nothing but bread and rice at home and the parents chased him all over the house spoon feeding him... Sadly my in-laws do this to my Niece too and she is due to start kinder this fall....
It's funny, but you just never think of things like this...... it is so sad....
Tags:won't eat
Reply Up