Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Late Fee?
MomBoss 05:10 AM 11-15-2017
How sympothetic are you guys to late payments? Parent was suppose to bring check monday at drop off but their child was sick and in the hospital for dehydration. Came home the same day but still kept child home tuesday. Its wednesday and still havent been paid unless they bring their child today. They know about my late fees but asked if it was okay to bring the check tuesday (before they ended up in hospital). I said thats fine but are they now under the impression that I ment they dont need to add the late fee? If they didnt add the late fee do I let it go this time because of the situation? Should I say "I let it slide for everyone the first time but from now on there will be a late fee." ?
I really should have texted back "Yes thats fine but you will have to add the late fee of $10" now im annoyed with myself. But they texted me at 11pm and I was half asleep
amberrose3dg 05:56 AM 11-15-2017
That is a tough one. I am not sure but I always end up not charging the late fees.
I had a parent pay 2 weeks late as they pay monthly and child only comes two days a week.
Last week dad was hunting and week before he was out sick.
I get my check this morning and he shorted me those days he wasn't here.
So now I have to explain again that those days are paid no matter what!
Blackcat31 07:17 AM 11-15-2017
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
How sympothetic are you guys to late payments? Parent was suppose to bring check monday at drop off but their child was sick and in the hospital for dehydration. Came home the same day but still kept child home tuesday. Its wednesday and still havent been paid unless they bring their child today. They know about my late fees but asked if it was okay to bring the check tuesday (before they ended up in hospital). I said thats fine but are they now under the impression that I ment they dont need to add the late fee? If they didnt add the late fee do I let it go this time because of the situation? Should I say "I let it slide for everyone the first time but from now on there will be a late fee." ?
I really should have texted back "Yes thats fine but you will have to add the late fee of $10" now im annoyed with myself. But they texted me at 11pm and I was half asleep
I never waive late fees. Especially for "the first time" as that sets a precedent for all future behavior.

I'd consider waiving a late fee for a long time family with an excellent reputation for following my policies and paying on time but for newbies? Never. That's like borrowing money to a stranger.

As for payment amount....If they bring a check without the late fee, just invoice them the late fee. Maybe even offer to let them add it to next weeks payment but don't waive it. If they say you didn't mention it and so they figured they didn't have to pay it, just grow a puzzled look on your face and say "Why would I waive it? It's late. I assumed you were just adding it to the next tuition check"

I understand and sympathize with families when they have situations beyond their control but until my mortgage company, auto lender and other financial creditors start showing me the same kind of empathy and understanding I have to be paid on time every time.

It's also important to remind parents that sympathy and empathy are feelings NOT actions so my unwillingness to waive a late fee or a payment has nothing to do with my level of sympathy or empathy. They are completely unrelated and once parents realize, understand and accept that line of thinking, they will always try to use "feelings" as a bargaining method for getting out of paying or paying on time.
MomBoss 08:13 AM 11-15-2017
So i was a punk and disnt say anything! But they paid me for the next 5 weeks. About 30min after they dropped off, child has very bad diarrhea that leaked out. So i had to call and tell them to pick up. This is why child had been dehydrated- flu bug during the weekend. Clearly he is still sick. Dad did not seem happy picking him up, but my licensor says we cannot accept children with diarrhea or vomitting of any kind because of a bad outbreak the summer before. I told him its not my rule- its licensing.
Tags:late fee
Reply Up