Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Clean Up!
Unregistered 01:35 PM 09-27-2017
At what age do you start getting babies to help clean up? I'm just talking about simple things like putting toys back into a basket. If you start them early, around one, what are some good techniques to encourage this behavior? When I'm picking up, my littles just follow behind me, undoing all my work. 😂 I realize it's normal for one year olds but how can I get them on the path to helping out? Thanks!
Rockgirl 01:46 PM 09-27-2017
I just model picking the toys up. I say, "Can you help me?" And lots of encouragement. I have three toddlers--they definitely do like to go dump it all back out! I've been putting some things out of reach if we're getting ready for lunch or nap. Otherwise, I don't really mind the dumping too much.
Unregistered 12:59 PM 09-30-2017
I start teaching kids to clean up pretty much as soon as they can hold the toys for themselves. With infants, I will often hand them a toy and then encourage them to put it into a basket that I'm holding. I reward with smiles, claps, and a lot of encouragement. As the kids get older, I turn it into a game. Sometimes, I play dumb and act like I don't know where the toys go. "Does the baby go in the Lego box?" I also use clean-up time as a learning opportunity. "Willow, can you find me a blue block? I see a red block next to the bookshelf. Who else sees it? Seamus found the red block!"

Clean up time, with properly labeled bins, is also a great way to practice simple sorting. Say you have Fisher Price Little People and toy animals that need to be cleaned up. Gathering them all into one area, the kids can help you sort the toys into two baskets. "What about the cow? Does the cow go in this [the people basket] basket? No?! Which one does the cow go in?" (Then, have a child put the cow in the basket himself. You can also pass out the toys and have the kids, one at a time, put the toys into the correct bins.

One of the tricks is to try to keep the mess under control. If the mess is too big, it becomes overwhelming, and even turning clean-up into a game doesn't help if the mess is so big that the kids start getting bored. Make sure you're having the kids clean up one activity/area before moving onto another. Also, don't worry about perfectionism- especially with toddlers. If some play food ends up in a basket with toy instruments, don't make a fuss. You can always fix those little things during down time, or have the kids help fix them throughout the day.

"I found an apple in the instruments! Does the apple go here?"
"NO!"
"No? Where does the apple go?"
"In the kitchen!"
"In the kitchen? Can you show me?"

(Also, there will be times when you may have to throw the towel in and admit defeat. Table-top activities (puzzles, coloring with crayons, etc), snack time/water breaks, or throwing on some music and having a dance party are great ways to keep toddlers occupied while you do a quick clean-up.)
Blackcat31 09:42 AM 10-02-2017
I start them the day they are able to.

For some that is earlier than others but "HOW" they clean up is different for each age group.

For the littler ones that like to dump, they are expected only to put the toys away into one big container.
No separating or specific places...

Labels and picture labels for the next age group and more specific and sorted clean up for the older ones.
Tags:clean up
Reply Up