Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pregnancy and Daycare
Ksciarrino 08:02 AM 10-10-2017
Hello everyone,

I’m looking for some advice on pregnancy while running my home daycare. Specifically, has anyone had any issues lifting children, toddlers or babies while they are or were pregnant? This is my third pregnancy while working so the exhaustion and fatigue are common hurtles for me but I have never held a position while pregnant that requires so much lifting. This worries me some. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience thay can share?
Kajada 08:12 AM 10-10-2017
I'm also pregnant with my third, and it's my first pregnancy as a daycare provider. I don't have much advice for you, but I never had trouble lifting kids during my last two pregnancies. I'm sure it'll be harder during daycare than just with my own kids and family. I already change diapers on the floor - no changing table - so that reduces some lifting, though it might have its own challenges during the third trimester. I have a few kids who need help getting into their chairs for snacks and meals, but aside from that, I don't do a lot of lifting. I do carry the smaller ones sometimes because I love the cuddles. See if you can change your routine/set-up a bit to reduce the amount of lifting you have to do, and listen to your body!

I've never been so tired in my life though...I'm 10 weeks and feel like I've been pregnant for about a year. I'm exhausted by 10 am!
Jupadia 08:21 AM 10-10-2017
I did my 2ed (last) pregnancy while doing daycare. I work with kids 4 and under so some do need lifting for things like bum changes and such or into high chairs or help up the stairs. But I never had a problem with lifting. Mostly I try not to lift kids to much pregnant or not.
Unless your doctor puts extra restrtions on your lifting I would not worry.
knoxmomof2 06:53 AM 10-14-2017
I'm currently 36 weeks pregnant. I care for a maximum of 4 children (ages 5 and under) at a time. I had 4 until August when 2 left for Kindergarten and Preschool. I haven't been able to fill the 2 spots due to my upcoming leave, so I've just had a 4 year old and a 14 month old since then. My own 2 children were born a year apart, so I dealt with this with them as well.

I just try to limit the lifting. DCB (the 14 month old) is timidly walking, so I hold his hand and walk him to the changing table or the nap room or the table for meals. I only lift him on or off things. It's good for him and reduces the strain on me. His Mom is having baby #3 (she's due just a few days after me), so I figured now is the time to get him walking anyway since it will help his parents out as well.
Tags:home daycare, pregnant - and running daycare
Reply Up