Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>SOOOO DCM Was Late...WWYD??
LaLa1923 05:02 AM 01-03-2014
Last night I was feeling really bad so I went to bed early. I still had DCB here who would be picked up at 9pm. I left my phone with my hubby.

Prior to laying down I sent DCM a text at 7:15 and let her know my side streets were already getting bad and had not been plowed yet. Please be careful picking up.

She said OK.

Her pickup time is 9pm, she called at 9:04 and said she was on her way...that the roads were bad.......DUH of course they were!!

Hubby missed her call so he tried calling back, NO answer.

She did not show up until 9:25pm!

IMO she had ample notice that she needed to be here on time, and to plan her commute accordingly.

I am not happy that she waited until after her pickup time to call and tell me she'd be late. She knew well before 9pm that she was going to be late.

I will be charging her $25 for being late.

WWYD??

Next time I will close early!!
mrsnj 05:04 AM 01-03-2014
Charge. That's not your problem. Nine is nine. Done
Heidi 05:07 AM 01-03-2014
She was coming from work?

If she was, how could she control the commute? Most people can't leave work early, and sometimes you don't know how bad it is until you get out there on the roads.

Unless this is someone who is chronically late, I would not charge a fee.
coolconfidentme 05:12 AM 01-03-2014
Did she work a little OT & had to deal with bad roads? I charge a set fee for a 4 hour block of time past regular hours. I also have $1 a minute late fee charge. If DCM is always inconsiderate, the $1 tends to make them more punctual. It's judgement call which way to charge, in the end.
LaLa1923 05:13 AM 01-03-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:

If she was, how could she control the commute? Most people can't leave work early, and sometimes you don't know how bad it is until you get out there on the roads.

After the last time she was late I told her I would charge her.

Yes, she was coming from work but she could've left early.

If I had closed early she would've obviously had to pick up early.
mrsnj 05:41 AM 01-03-2014
I'm sorry. Closing time is closing time. Even in bad weather. If I know I have to be at work at eight in bad weather I leave early. If I know I have an appointment in bad weather I a lot the time. Closing is closing to me. If a parent doesn't think they will make it, an alternative should be in place. I would charge
Heidi 05:43 AM 01-03-2014
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:

It's really a judgment call on your part; you know mom better and whether she's one to take advantage, and you know how flexible her job is about when she leaves. If those apply, I'd certainly charge her.
LaLa1923 05:47 AM 01-03-2014
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
Did she work a little OT & had to deal with bad roads? I charge a set fee for a 4 hour block of time past regular hours. I also have $1 a minute late fee charge. If DCM is always inconsiderate, the $1 tends to make them more punctual. It's judgement call which way to charge, in the end.
No OT, she works 12-8. She works maybe 15-20 from my home.
Punkin.Butts 07:19 AM 01-03-2014
a ridiculous amount of time would be an extra half hour to me. I know in bad weather I drive more cautious therefor sometimes it takes me an extra half hour to get to places that normally wouldn't.

So I would allow that extra half hour before charging late fees. And with work, yes, you can take off early if the daycare closes OR make other arrangements to pick the child up, however, If the daycare stays open until closing, you don't really have a "reason" to give your employer to get off half an hour early to pick your child up from the daycare that stayed open.

does that make sense? The employer is going to tell her that the conditions weren't bad enough to close the daycare so they aren't bad enough to take off early to alot extra time to get there.. or at least, that's what I was always told when I worked outside the home and had my kid in daycare.
Punkin.Butts 07:20 AM 01-03-2014
and yes I realize she showed up 25 min late, Im just saying I wouldnt charge until exactly 30 minutes late.. to me she made it in a reasonable amount of time considering the conditions of the weather, roads, and other drivers.
Cat Herder 07:25 AM 01-03-2014
I would charge, too. Bravo on the backbone sister!!!

She knows your hours, knew them BEFORE she chose you as her provider.

If she needs more time, she needs to change her contract to pay for more time or find a provider who offers the hours she needs.

Moms life choices should never become your burden.

You got this.
LaLa1923 07:28 AM 01-03-2014
Originally Posted by Punkin.Butts:
and yes I realize she showed up 25 min late, Im just saying I wouldnt charge until exactly 30 minutes late.. to me she made it in a reasonable amount of time considering the conditions of the weather, roads, and other drivers.
However, she called AFTER her pickup time to tell me she'd be late. Late is late, they need to be on time.

It's not as if it were 5pm, it was 9pm!

She is an adult and must make the accommodations necessary to arrive on time.
LaLa1923 07:30 AM 01-03-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I would charge, too. Bravo on the backbone sister!!!

She knows your hours, knew them BEFORE she chose you as her provider.

If she needs more time, she needs to change her contract to pay for more time or find a provider who offers the hours she needs.

Moms life choices should never become your burden.

You got this.
Thank you!!

I agree, when she was late the last time I informed her I will need to start charging her for being late. I let it slide a few times but I have things to do too.

I pre-warned her. I even told her if she needed more time to allow for a grace period, I was more than willing to work something out with her. But I do not work for free.
Cat Herder 07:37 AM 01-03-2014
Thank you!!

I agree, when she was late the last time I informed her I will need to start charging her for being late. I let it slide a few times but I have things to do too.

I pre-warned her. I even told her if she needed more time to allow for a grace period, I was more than willing to work something out with her. But I do not work for free.
Most of the time the late fees go right back into the program anyway, we don't like paying more in taxes either....

Tell Mom that some days we are the dog, others the hydrant, and that today the hydrant will be buying $25 worth of new art supplies for the group....
Great Beginnings 07:42 AM 01-03-2014
I personally think closing time is closing time. I expect parents to leave early if they know they may have a longer travel time. If I left my house but took longer to get to a store, they aren't going to stay open a half hour later just in case roads are bad and people don't make it by closing. I can see being 10 to 15 mintues late but 25 means she just choose to take advantage and leave late or make a stop.
Blackcat31 07:51 AM 01-03-2014
Last night I was feeling really bad so I went to bed early. I still had DCB here who would be picked up at 9pm. I left my phone with my hubby.

Prior to laying down I sent DCM a text at 7:15 and let her know my side streets were already getting bad and had not been plowed yet. Please be careful picking up.

She said OK.

Her pickup time is 9pm, she called at 9:04 and said she was on her way...that the roads were bad.......DUH of course they were!!

Hubby missed her call so he tried calling back, NO answer.

She did not show up until 9:25pm!

IMO she had ample notice that she needed to be here on time, and to plan her commute accordingly.

I am not happy that she waited until after her pickup time to call and tell me she'd be late. She knew well before 9pm that she was going to be late.

I will be charging her $25 for being late.

WWYD??

Next time I will close early!!
My take on this is that you warned her that YOUR side roads were bad. You weren't updating her on the road conditions elsewhere..kwim? So she had no idea what the roads were like between your house and her office.

Now one would think that common sense dictates that ALL roads would be bad but you and I both know that when it comes to DCP's, common sense isn't always common for all of them so I can see why this mom didn't account for bad roads elsewhere.

HOWEVER, I still would have charged a late fee because I do NOT allow weather to be a factor in late pick ups. Parents simply need to plan accordingly. NONE of it weighs into MY work day.

Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
It's really a judgment call on your part; you know mom better and whether she's one to take advantage, and you know how flexible her job is about when she leaves. If those apply, I'd certainly charge her.
If you aren't as firm in your late policies, then I agree, it is merely a judgment call on your part as to whether you feel the lateness is something the mom pulled on purpose or if it was simply a bad situation that turned worse.

FWIW~ I have, in the past, waived a late fee IF, and ONLY IF, the parent notified me BEFORE the actual pick up time has past, that they are running late.

If I get notified AFTER the fact, that ALL late fees apply. NO EXCEPTIONS.
Scout 08:12 AM 01-03-2014

I feel the same. When weather is bad we can all say that we know to plan accordingly but, the fact still is that lots of people can not leave early to get to our homes on time. And sometimes, even if you do, it can delay you. My once 25 min commute took me over 3 hours a few winters back...it was terrible!
MyAngels 08:20 AM 01-03-2014
Assuming that I charged late fees, I would charge them anytime someone was late no matter the reason.

I assume in this case the mom left work on time, but found the roads worse than she thought. As far as not calling prior to closing, perhaps she couldn't find a safe place to pull off, or didn't want to pull off for fear of getting stuck. I'd be cutting some slack on that one in this instance.
Laurel 08:47 AM 01-03-2014
I was thinking that I would probably let it slide but as I'm thinking about it a late fee is not a punishment....or shouldn't be. It should be compared to overtime. If they work overtime in their job, they get paid.

If I wasn't closing this year I think I'd put that in my contract. Something like "When you pick up late, I realize it can't always be helped. Emergencies happen. However, I still have to work later. Just as you get overtime compensation if you work longer than your scheduled hours so do I, so an overtime fee of $X per Xtime will be charged."

Why didn't I think of this wording years ago? Aarggh, well maybe some of you could use it.

I think I'd even add...no exceptions.

Laurel
SquirrellyMama 09:02 AM 01-03-2014
Originally Posted by Laurel:
I was thinking that I would probably let it slide but as I'm thinking about it a late fee is not a punishment....or shouldn't be. It should be compared to overtime. If they work overtime in their job, they get paid.

If I wasn't closing this year I think I'd put that in my contract. Something like "When you pick up late, I realize it can't always be helped. Emergencies happen. However, I still have to work later. Just as you get overtime compensation if you work longer than your scheduled hours so do I, so an overtime fee of $X per Xtime will be charged."

Why didn't I think of this wording years ago? Aarggh, well maybe some of you could use it.

I think I'd even add...no exceptions.

Laurel
It is a good thought but remember that not everyone gets paid overtime. You may have some arguments with your wording. I'm not sure there will ever be a way to word a late fee without getting some argument

Kelly
Laurel 09:33 AM 01-03-2014
Originally Posted by SquirrellyMama:
It is a good thought but remember that not everyone gets paid overtime. You may have some arguments with your wording. I'm not sure there will ever be a way to word a late fee without getting some argument

Kelly
It wouldn't matter to me if not everyone got overtime but my parents would know that I do and that it is not punitive but rather that I'm working and if I work extra than I get paid extra. Kwim?

Laurel
Cat Herder 09:36 AM 01-03-2014
I'm not sure there will ever be a way to word a late fee without getting some argument

Kelly
They can try to argue the fees are not fair because of >> enter special snowflake excuse here<<< but I simply tell them life isn't fair then laugh....

It is a pretty easy concept for them to understand.

Mine pay it ($1 a minute) and often tell me they are glad I don't charge what the big centers around here do.

My family time is more expensive than my opening hours.
SquirrellyMama 09:54 AM 01-03-2014
Originally Posted by Laurel:
It wouldn't matter to me if not everyone got overtime but my parents would know that I do and that it is not punitive but rather that I'm working and if I work extra than I get paid extra. Kwim?

Laurel
I understand what you are saying and I think it is a good illustration. You were wording it like everyone got paid overtime when not everyone does.

Like I said, it is a good illustration to use instead of wording it as a punishment. Maybe in my next contract I'll call it an overtime fee instead of a late fee

Kelly
SquirrellyMama 09:56 AM 01-03-2014
They can try to argue the fees are not fair because of >> enter special snowflake excuse here<<< but I simply tell them life isn't fair then laugh....

It is a pretty easy concept for them to understand.

Mine pay it ($1 a minute) and often tell me they are glad I don't charge what the big centers around here do.

My family time is more expensive than my opening hours.
Agree with you also. They can argue but it really isn't up to them. Just making a comment that there probably isn't a way to word something that a parent won't complain about. It was me thinking out loud. We need some symbol for that. Little clouds to put on either side of the comment
daycare 09:56 AM 01-03-2014
my come back line when a parent tried to argue with me about it was

If you didn't want to pay late fees then you should have paid on time.

or

You should not have signed my contract if you did not agree to a late fee when you paid late.

having to enforce this sucks, but we have to stick to our rules and enforce them.
Cat Herder 10:07 AM 01-03-2014
Agree with you also. They can argue but it really isn't up to them. Just making a comment that there probably isn't a way to word something that a parent won't complain about. It was me thinking out loud. We need some symbol for that. Little clouds to put on either side of the comment
No, you are 100% correct. They live to find loopholes, and argue for points; it is like a live action video game...

I try to laugh it off, make it a joke and turn it around on them. Sheldon called it something on big bang once..... Minimus Ridiculum something other... but you get the point.

I think they all know the deal, they are just playing the game with us to see who is the smarter player.... Getting your way and a good laugh is a win in my book. They laugh with me... so it works for me... My daughter calls it a "Momma burn", apparently these are way funnier than an average burn (I am 20 years older than my oldest client, btw)???
Blackcat31 10:26 AM 01-03-2014
It was me thinking out loud. We need some symbol for that. Little clouds to put on either side of the comment

How about this one??

itlw8 10:33 AM 01-03-2014
she gets off at 8PM and called at 9:04 already late before she actually left work I bet... why because it takes her 20 minutes to get there. and arrived 20 minutes later after the call.

she either worked late with out asking or stopped for a drink with her friends.

Charge her and warn her
Laurel 11:22 AM 01-03-2014
I understand what you are saying and I think it is a good illustration. You were wording it like everyone got paid overtime when not everyone does.

Like I said, it is a good illustration to use instead of wording it as a punishment. Maybe in my next contract I'll call it an overtime fee instead of a late fee

Kelly

Sugar Magnolia 11:36 AM 01-03-2014

I agree with Heidi.
My3cents 11:47 AM 01-03-2014

I would do this
My3cents 11:54 AM 01-03-2014

depends on how often she did this. If it was one other time, I would let it go but express that she must pick up on time. If its an all the time thing then yes charge and I am sure she won't be late again- I would rather have someone arrive late then never at all because they felt that they had to rush but if it is a disrespect all the time issue then yes charge her your late fee.

Late pick up is the worst for a provider. We have been with your child all day long and want to end our work day. We can't leave, have that break ride home. We have to be in check until that child leaves- Its so frustrating and I feel you.
My3cents 12:12 PM 01-03-2014
having read all the replies. I think it is up to you what you decide to do. You know this Parent the best.

I know some of us are not one minute past closing time and enforce it.

others... eat it.

I have great parents, but if I didn't then I would charge a late fee. I have understanding for lifes happenings, just don't let them interfere with my life outside daycare and we are all good. If it was a late pick up on a night that my parents know I have somewhere to be then I would charge and let them know they made me late for my life happenings out of work.

Its hard, do what you feel is best. Let us know the outcome
Lucy 01:55 PM 01-03-2014

^^^ word for word. When I worked in an office, me saying "My Daycare lady gets mad when I'm late. Can I leave early?" would NOT cut it!! Work is work, 8:30 (or whenever she gets off) IS her quitting time. Her employer doesn't give a patootie about how mad DC lady will be. I would NOT charge her.
julie 02:35 PM 01-03-2014
I treat my DCK and their parents the same. I do NOT condescend to either. I set clear, rational expectations, and let them know what the consequence is if they CHOOSE not to follow them.

There is no argument. I refuse to argue about it. Just, this is what it is.
You are late, you pay me $1 a minute.
You forget your child's needed things and/or payment on pay day, you turn around with your child and go and get it before I let your kid in the door.

You set the expectation that if the DCM was late again, she would be charged. If you do not charge her, then she instead get the expectation that you will not enforce your polices and you need her money more than she needs to respect what you are asking. Just my two cents. It has nothing to do with what her employer expects. The daycare signed a contract with the daycare parent. It is that parent's job to manage her end of the contract as an adult, or face the consequences.
itlw8 02:40 PM 01-03-2014
Originally Posted by Lucy:
^^^ word for word. When I worked in an office, me saying "My Daycare lady gets mad when I'm late. Can I leave early?" would NOT cut it!! Work is work, 8:30 (or whenever she gets off) IS her quitting time. Her employer doesn't give a patootie about how mad DC lady will be. I would NOT charge her.
but 8 pm is when she gets off work "No OT, she works 12-8. She works maybe 15-20 from my home. "

she called an hour after she got off work so why would her employer care if she picked up he child on time she wasn't even working at the time she called. She used the snow as an excuse for partying
Lucy 02:59 PM 01-03-2014
Originally Posted by itlw8:
but 8 pm is when she gets off work "No OT, she works 12-8. She works maybe 15-20 from my home. "

she called an hour after she got off work so why would her employer care if she picked up he child on time she wasn't even working at the time she called. She used the snow as an excuse for partying
I never saw the time she gets off, but my comment, in general terms, remains the same... Unless this was a perpetually tardy mom, I would give leeway for weather-related delays. I use my best judgment on whether they left work when they said they did, and attempted to come straight to my house, but weather held them back. IF I'm comfortable that those parameters were met, I would cut them a break.

And I do agree she could've called you about 8:30-8:45 when she saw that the roads were so bad that she wasn't going to make it by 9:00. But if she's a nervous, white-knuckle driver in the snow like I am, she was hyper-concentrating on the road!!

It's all a judgment call.
Cat Herder 03:13 PM 01-03-2014
Originally Posted by Lucy:
When I worked in an office, me saying "My Daycare lady gets mad when I'm late. Can I leave early?" would NOT cut it!! Work is work, 8:30 (or whenever she gets off) IS her quitting time. Her employer doesn't give a patootie about how mad DC lady will be. I would NOT charge her.
But the issue isn't that the daycare lady get's mad or that the employer does not care what the child care arrangements are.

The issue is that the Parent will have to pay a late fee if she is late. Period. Dot.

It is not the Employers or Daycare Providers issue.

As a mother I make backup plans to cover my kids needs in case I am held up by inconsiderate clients. Why should they be any less accountable??
Lucy 03:28 PM 01-03-2014
But the issue isn't that the daycare lady get's mad or that the employer does not care what the child care arrangements are.

The issue is that the Parent will have to pay a late fee if she is late. Period. Dot.

It is not the Employers or Daycare Providers issue.

As a mother I make backup plans to cover my kids needs in case I am held up by inconsiderate clients. Why should they be any less accountable??
Just giving my opinion that was asked for.

It's the way I roll with my Daycare families. And in life in general, for that matter. Consideration fosters consideration. So unless this was a perpetual problem family, I give allowances for weather. Bosses don't always want to let you leave early, and I respect that they have to be a "good employee" if they want to keep their job. (It's what pays me too, afterall.) That's all I'm trying to say.

I had one mom stuck on frozen roads that weren't moving at all, just about. It was on the news - she called - she's normally a good client - I had her kids till 7:00 and fed them dinner. They usually go home at 5:30. I accept that my opinions aren't the norm on this board. We all need to do what feels right to us.

OP asked, I answered.
LaLa1923 05:44 PM 01-03-2014
She definitely was not white knuckling the steering wheel. She was on the phone with god knows who. She's always on the phone, at pick up and drop off...
daycare 06:05 PM 01-03-2014
She definitely was not white knuckling the steering wheel. She was on the phone with god knows who. She's always on the phone, at pick up and drop off...
just curious, did you charge her??
LaLa1923 06:14 PM 01-03-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
just curious, did you charge her??
I am charging her, she will not be here until Monday
daycare 06:16 PM 01-03-2014
I am charging her, she will not be here until Monday
Oh that will be fun......

Well I think that you are doing the right thing. It sucks that you are put in this position, but you wouldn't be if the mom would have taken your information and picked up on time.

good luck with this, let us know how it goes
LaLa1923 08:15 AM 01-06-2014
So DCM was not happy about the charge. She said she communicated with me about her being late. I let her know that I still have to charge her. She said she understands and paid it.
Tags:enforcing policies - consistency, late fee policy, parent - changes hours
Reply Up