Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ugh!! Got A Visit From The For Program State Auditor!
proudmommyofthree 02:46 PM 04-03-2013
And got in trouble because my last 2 days were not recorded (I'm usually good with that). Also I was caught off guard since I had just gotten a visit last Month from my regular rep so I didn't think to call them to tell them I was not home (took the kids to the park) anyways I pull up to my house and there they were . I knew I was trouble when I saw them. So I look at my rep and tell her I do not serve lunch till 1 (it was 12:55 lol) and the state auditor says we know and that's why we waited for you. Anyways I always make home meals but since we took the kids to the park I decided on sandwiches. The kids wanted to eat outside so I said ok. It's a beautiful day today here in southern Cali. But because I was nervous I served their plates one at a time because they were hungry instead of serving them all at once so I got cited for that too . I'm bummed because I always serve everyone at he table together fresh homemade meals everyday. But be ause I decided to go I a field trip and serve sandwiches with fresh fruit which is fine, but didn't serve them family style or everything on the plate I get cited !! . But I was too nervous too think straight!!! I had nothing to hide , I'm always in capacity but I knew I had t recorded the last 2 days. Boy I learned my lesson. Record as soon as a meal is served!! Ok vent over
mom2many 03:35 PM 04-03-2013
Yikes! Sorry to hear how that went.

I just had my food program rep come by 2 weeks ago and those visits have always gone smoothly, but she warned me that the State would be picking random providers to visit. I've never had anyone from the State show up and I can imagine it would be intimidating!

I never heard about having to feed everyone all at once and getting dinged for not doing that? WOW! I will def keep that in mind from now on! I often assemble plates and allow kids to start eating, while others are washing up or being stragglers!

The food program used to allow us to have picnics at the park and I miss those days, especially when the s/a kids are on vacation!
MNMum 03:41 PM 04-03-2013
Aww. That is always my fear. I am usually good about entering my meals, but sometimes I get a day behind. It's hard to do "in the moment" in this line of work....
MarinaVanessa 03:44 PM 04-03-2013
Wow your county/area must be really strict. I'm in Cali too and they don't care if I serve them family style or not ... however I do prepare the food first and then I serve all of the plates and once that's done I call the kids to the table and set the plates and milk down while they are sitting down. I actually don't like "family style" because of the extra requirements that I have to meet with the food program so I prefer to make the food and serve the portions myself. If there is still some left and the kids are still hungry they can get seconds of what they want.

Yowsers ... citation for not serving family style or all at the same time !!!
daycare 03:53 PM 04-03-2013
in my county if we have to fill out our online food claims that day of. we have until midnight to make all claims. the next day they will lock you out of being able to make any changes. so if you forget to claim your food, you are out the money...

I am very good about end of the day food paper work.
MyAngels 04:04 PM 04-03-2013
I got a visit from the State Board of Education 5 or 6 years ago. They came on a day that I had closed and of course I didn't call the FP to let them know (I never called before that, either - my bad ). To this day every time I get a visit from the FP rep they ask me if the State has been back out, since I missed that visit . They keep saying I should have gotten a "serious deficiency letter" but I never did get anything at all. I think they should get over it already .
rmc20021 04:13 PM 04-03-2013
WOW...

I've never had a state rep and my regular one is sooooo good about everything...has never been here during a meal.

So IF anyone from state ever comes I'd like to be prepared as some of the things you said has never been mentioned to me so not sure if it's our rules as well or not.

I USUALLY put all the plates on the table before I call the kids to eat...almost always. So you're saying you HAVE to do this???

Also, I never put fruit on the plate until the kids eat their meals because I want them to eat their meal and the fruit is kind of like a 'desert' and I never give them their drinks until they are finished eating either...
Starburst 04:20 PM 04-03-2013
At the FCC I used to work at (also in CA) the provider paid her daughter an extra $10 a week to do food program and the daughter was a big procratinator (I should know because I was her roommate for 5 years ) and she would usually either wait until the end of the week or sometimes even at the end of the month to do the food program records. Also there the teachers always served the kids individually one at a time. They were all at the table but the teachers would serve one kid at a time- sometimes two teachers would serve at the same time to make it go by faster (it was usually always a full house at lunch time).

But at my college's child development center I heard the director got upset at the teachers after a child observation project because the ECE students saw one of the teachers not letting the kids pour their own glasses or squirt their own ketchup and supposively one of the teachers yanked the ketchup bottle away from one of the kids who was trying to use it. They try to teach kids to be independant- I heard that now they are teaching them to set their spots at the table themselves. Both places were in to different towns in two different counties and one was a home and the other was a center; so IDK if any of that had to do with regulations or not.
Patches 04:26 PM 04-03-2013
Wow!! That's really strict! I had a state rep come out a couple weeks ago and she was as nice as could be. I'm sorry that went badly for you
AmyKidsCo 04:30 PM 04-03-2013
I had that happen to me a couple of years ago too. My food program lady was really nice and would let me fill in a couple of meals if I was behind - I always had my menus posted and attendance records - but when the auditor was there I obviously couldn't.

The thing I find ironic is that if you use paper forms you have to fill them out at time of service, but if you use MMK you can wait and do it online at the end of the week.
proudmommyofthree 04:53 PM 04-03-2013
Originally Posted by rmc20021:
WOW...

I've never had a state rep and my regular one is sooooo good about everything...has never been here during a meal.

So IF anyone from state ever comes I'd like to be prepared as some of the things you said has never been mentioned to me so not sure if it's our rules as well or not.

I USUALLY put all the plates on the table before I call the kids to eat...almost always. So you're saying you HAVE to do this???

Also, I never put fruit on the plate until the kids eat their meals because I want them to eat their meal and the fruit is kind of like a 'desert' and I never give them their drinks until they are finished eating either...
Yes you have to have all their components on the plate. My food rep is awsome, I have never had a problem, but I got nervous and did everything wrong lol
MarinaVanessa 05:13 PM 04-03-2013
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
...but if you use MMK you can wait and do it online at the end of the week.
That's awesome, here we have to enter our meals in at the end of each day or we get locked out and have to call our sponsors. They only let you get away with it a couple of times until they give you the "aww so sad - too bad" bit.

And that's if we use MMK. Here if we do paper records you can literally wait until the day before you have to mail them in to fill everything out (just hope your sponsor doesn't show up and checks your records lol) .
mom2many 06:10 PM 04-03-2013
I use MMK too, but our food program rep said that if we do not record our meals & attendance by the end of each day, we must send in actual hard copies to their office, in addition to recording them online.

I always make sure I record things after the last snack of the day, because I don't want the extra hassle of sending anything in!
crazydaycarelady 08:10 PM 04-03-2013
That is one thing I don't like about the FP - no flexibility!

I get nervous just hearing the doorbell ring and thinking it might be them! Something about someone coming into your home for the purpose of looking for something you are not doing right.
Play Care 04:02 AM 04-04-2013
We are supposed to get three "surprise" visits from the food program each year. But I know they always come around March, July and November, so I make sure on those months to stay on top of my menus and keep them informed of time off and changes to location (picnics)
If they changed their months, I'd be in trouble!!

Sorry about the visit!
daycarediva 04:21 AM 04-04-2013
I do monthly menus for daycare, and fill in my food program menu sheets at the beginning of each month. I just have to do my attendance sheet each morning. My food program lady loves it. If I need to change something, handy dandy white out works fine and I am never behind.
MsLaura529 04:23 AM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:

I get nervous just hearing the doorbell ring and thinking it might be them! Something about someone coming into your home for the purpose of looking for something you are not doing right.:eek:

This! I am sitting here waiting for a (possible) surprise inspection from my licensing unit and then will be waiting for surprise inspections from the Food Program later ... it makes me a nervous wreck! Haha.

OP - sorry that you got cited on some things. Were they at least nice about telling you what happened and suggesting ways to fix it/understanding why you did things the way you did that day? I think it's kind of silly that they sometimes seem more concerned with HOW you serve them, instead of WHAT you serve them.
coolconfidentme 04:30 AM 04-04-2013
I just had a pop inspection yesterday & got dinged for not have the last couple of days recorded. I told her I’ve been dealing with a problem child & got sidetracked. She saw the child & totally understood but documented it just the same. It’s real hard to keep up on that when your routine is broken, by choice or otherwise.
Heidi 05:08 AM 04-04-2013
I had that happen to me a couple of years ago too. My food program lady was really nice and would let me fill in a couple of meals if I was behind - I always had my menus posted and attendance records - but when the auditor was there I obviously couldn't.

The thing I find ironic is that if you use paper forms you have to fill them out at time of service, but if you use MMK you can wait and do it online at the end of the week.
NOt here...I'm on 4-C Madison's program. I am supposed to do it at the end of each day, or show proof (if visited) that I have it document somewhere else. Meal served and kids at that meal. My state attendance records do not count for this part. It must be seperate.
proudmommyofthree 06:54 AM 04-04-2013
It's not that I was cited per say but I am in trouble. Here in my county I get 3-4 unannounced visits per year. I usually know more or less when they are coming so I'm pretty good at staying on top if my records. Since she had just come the month before I was not expecting another visit.

My rep came wih their state auditor so I it was the state auditor telling me about the family style. I should have just served the meal the way I normally do, in My kitchen table, all at once (serving the meals on all plates then handing the kids their plates) but since she was watching me I thought would hurry up and start feeding the kids so she can hurry and leave.

Omg it was so nerve wracking, she was not friendly at all. I tried to explain to her that I usully feed them inside. She just said it doesn't matter where you feed them, you have to serve them a once. I strongly suggest you use family style. So it's not that I was cited for not serving family style it was strongly recommended. She could have used a friendlier tone .

I spoke to the parents about it. one parent wants to write up a petion and have all the parents sign it. She is against family style because of germs and stuff.

I'm allowed to serve meals when I take the kids out, I should have just called. So now I'm sure I'm on the Defeciency list and will get more visits which is fine be ause I know I'm pretty good usually.
allsmiles 08:48 AM 04-04-2013

I get nervous just hearing the doorbell ring and thinking it might be them! Something about someone coming into your home for the purpose of looking for something you are not doing right.
me as well.. thats why i canceled them.. maybe when i am in business longer i will be more comfortable and confident and i will get back on..but it was just too nerve wrecking..
earlystart 10:19 PM 04-07-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
That's awesome, here we have to enter our meals in at the end of each day or we get locked out and have to call our sponsors. They only let you get away with it a couple of times until they give you the "aww so sad - too bad" bit.

And that's if we use MMK. Here if we do paper records you can literally wait until the day before you have to mail them in to fill everything out (just hope your sponsor doesn't show up and checks your records lol) .
I'm in CA and use MMK and it doesn't lock me out of previous days (only previous months). However, on the android app it does lock me out of previous days.
Michelle 10:46 PM 04-07-2013
may I ask what food program you are on?
I just got a visit from my regular rep and she said the auditors are not coming until next year. I have CCD
I just want to make see if we have different fp so I will know if they will be coming or not..
countrymom 05:52 AM 04-08-2013
really, thats crazy. You shouldn't feel nervous in your own house. I'm so glad we don't have them here because I wouldn't do it. I just couldn't see myself serving family style to a bunch of 2 yr olds, omg that would be so disatorus.
Blackcat31 07:14 AM 04-08-2013
Originally Posted by rmc20021:
WOW...

Seems as though each food program sponsor interprets the rules differently as my food program does not require us to have ALL food component on the plate. We are only required to have it "available" for them. It can be a banana sitting on the counter unpeeled as long as I have enough for each child to have a serving....even if they decline.

I am also able to use attendance records and posted menus as documentation for meals and meal counts (if I don't actually have anything recorded in MMK) so there are often times my rep comes for a visit and I have not entered anything into the MMK software for a day or two but still get credit for it because I still have records....kwim?

My food program rep is FANTASTIC!!

I have also received two different visits from the state auditors over the last 20 years. Each time, they were quick and thorough and very polite. I had no issues with them.
proudmommyofthree 08:51 AM 04-08-2013
Originally Posted by Michelle:
may I ask what food program you are on?
I just got a visit from my regular rep and she said the auditors are not coming until next year. I have CCD
I just want to make see if we have different fp so I will know if they will be coming or not..
I'm on CDA, in in riverside county and the food peogram is in San Diego. We had been getting reminder calls since last year that the auditors would be inspecting till June. Hope that helps
KDC 09:05 AM 04-08-2013
Probably not... I like hunting for all the fun stuff & I'm super cheap-o. When I was first starting out though I might have been more willing to buy something.
Play Care 09:08 AM 04-08-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
really, thats crazy. You shouldn't feel nervous in your own house. I'm so glad we don't have them here because I wouldn't do it. I just couldn't see myself serving family style to a bunch of 2 yr olds, omg that would be so disatorus.
My program encourages family style but isn't adamant about it.

I find the food program to be totally worth it, especially when the check comes each month
Michelle 10:24 AM 04-08-2013
Originally Posted by proudmommyofthree:
I'm on CDA, in in riverside county and the food peogram is in San Diego. We had been getting reminder calls since last year that the auditors would be inspecting till June. Hope that helps
yes, that helps!!
I have a hard time with "family style" my kids all grab each others food and milk,,, and I have a lot of kids with special milk needs so... I can not have them next to each other.. hugs.. hope your day is going better today
DaisyMamma 10:58 AM 04-08-2013
Ugh, that stinks. Sorry
GrannyJ 11:43 AM 04-08-2013
Wow! I didn't realize there were so many different rules. I thought it went by state obviously not!

I use MMK and have to have it done by 10pm. If not I don't get paid. My food program is very strict. Any little thing wrong and its "Well then I will have to come back next month" It's like they are trying to find something wrong.

I was put on probation one time because I was sick with the flu, called all my parents but didn't think to call food lady. She came that day and stayed for over an hour going over the rules because I have to call them if I'm not working. I could hardly sit up at the table to listen to her, I wanted to scream!!!

At times I really feel like the food program runs my business. But then again when I receive that check it makes me think it's not THAT bad and I can put up with it.

I hope your day gets better!
Thegrayghost1966 12:52 PM 01-03-2014
error
LaLa1923 01:42 PM 01-03-2014
I thought family style is when everyone sits down to eat at the same time...am I wrong? If that's not it then I need to know what it is.

How else can/do you feed the kids??
Blackcat31 01:46 PM 01-03-2014
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
I thought family style is when everyone sits down to eat at the same time...am I wrong? If that's not it then I need to know what it is.

How else can/do you feed the kids??
To me, "family style" means that everyone sits down at the same time and all food is placed in serving bowls/platters on the table.

Food is then passed around and the children help themselves, taking as little or as much (within reason) themselves. Including pouring milk.

Dishes and serving spoons are recommended to be child-size of course.

I used to serve "family style".

Now I serve.

Easier for me but NOT the method that the state refers (here anyways) but until "family style" becomes mandatory, I will continue to serve the way I do and worry about mandatory "family style" when the time comes.
Angelsj 02:41 PM 01-03-2014
Originally Posted by proudmommyofthree:
Also I was caught off guard since I had just gotten a visit last Month from my regular rep so I didn't think to call them to tell them I was not home (took the kids to the park)
You can't take the kids to the park without calling your food program rep???
itlw8 02:57 PM 01-03-2014
You will not get a serious deficiency for this you were back for meal time.

You can not claim those past days so bummer.

the serving part that is silly

but really the audit was auditing your sponsor so they get dinged not you. They will likely have to give a training on how to serve meals.
Heidi 03:04 PM 01-03-2014

Here, if it's not entered on MMK, it has to be WRITTEN somewhere else. The meal served AND attendance for that meal.

My rep is also good about rummaging through her bag if I need a second to do yesterday's last snack. More than that, though, wouldn't fly. I've been pretty lucky because if I ever get behind, I have a pretty good sense of when she's due to visit.
Leigh 04:26 PM 01-03-2014
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
You can't take the kids to the park without calling your food program rep???
I can't, either, if I am going to be gone during a meal or snack time. I had a food program rep call me from my house when we were on a field trip, upset because I wasn't home. I told her to check her email, because I let her know about it via email in advance. No problem, then, sorry she drove an hour to get to my house for nothing (not).
Annalee 04:48 PM 01-03-2014

I like the FP I am on now....the previous one I was on for several years but one day a lady who LOVED authority come onto the scene. On a routine visit I was expressing how my aunt had passed away the week before and she emphatically told me from now on I must inform her if I closed for any reason. I told her SHE was not the first thing on my mind when it come to my family.........and then changed.... That is ridiculous.......
Unregistered 05:33 PM 01-03-2014
Originally Posted by mom2many:
Yikes! Sorry to hear how that went.

I just had my food program rep come by 2 weeks ago and those visits have always gone smoothly, but she warned me that the State would be picking random providers to visit. I've never had anyone from the State show up and I can imagine it would be intimidating!

I never heard about having to feed everyone all at once and getting dinged for not doing that? WOW! I will def keep that in mind from now on! I often assemble plates and allow kids to start eating, while others are washing up or being stragglers!

The food program used to allow us to have picnics at the park and I miss those days, especially when the s/a kids are on vacation!
If your FPR came by and warned you about the random inspections, it's likely you might be on the list of providers whom may not have had an auditor with their company come by. Be prepared. Also, I know that a lot of the times once the state comes, then it's possible your FPR may not be able to talk to you or answer questions during the visit.

My FPR was pretty awesome and she ended up leaving right when I closed my dc
Childminder 08:49 PM 01-03-2014
My FP Rep is the best! We love to have her visit and she is so easy to get along with. I wish we got a visit from her more than three times a year.

She told me that they have no idea when the state will show to audit them, they just show up and ride along and choose who to go see.

We can keep track of our meals served and then enter it on MMK. I just entered Dec and submitted. Took about two hours so not too bad for $400- $600 a month. I have a place to record each meal on my sign in/out sheet and just circle the meals served at the end of the day, takes seconds.
Reply Up