Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Two Licenses, One Home
Calikate 10:04 PM 01-08-2014
Hi everyone!!! Question that im hoping you can help with!!!!

We are building a home with an attached apartment for my mom, if we both have in home childcare licenses can we have more children? Instead of 6 could we have 12? Thank you!
blandino 11:20 PM 01-08-2014
In Oklahoma, we actually asked licensing about this. We have a detached two car garage, and wanted to know if converting it to a fully functioning building would allow us to have another daycare with a different license.

Our licensor said that in order to do so if would need a different address. i.e., if your house is 1234 Maple street, the apartment would need to be 1234B Maple street. So we would have to figure out the powers at be, for changing an address - and handle it from there. But as long as it was a separate building it was allowed. In OK at least.
MCC 05:23 AM 01-09-2014
Originally Posted by blandino:
In Oklahoma, we actually asked licensing about this. We have a detached two car garage, and wanted to know if converting it to a fully functioning building would allow us to have another daycare with a different license.

Our licensor said that in order to do so if would need a different address. i.e., if your house is 1234 Maple street, the apartment would need to be 1234B Maple street. So we would have to figure out the powers at be, for changing an address - and handle it from there. But as long as it was a separate building it was allowed. In OK at least.
This would be the requirement in VA as well.
melilley 05:30 AM 01-09-2014
I'm pretty sure we have to do what pp said here too, but I'm not too sure about it. I know we have to reside in the home, so I don't know if the apt. would have to have a separate address.

Are you going to use the apartment for childcare? Here, we have to have so many square feet per child so that could be a factor as well.
LaLa1923 06:03 AM 01-09-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
I'm pretty sure we have to do what pp said here too, but I'm not too sure about it. I know we have to reside in the home, so I don't know if the apt. would have to have a separate address.

Are you going to use the apartment for childcare? Here, we have to have so many square feet per child so that could be a factor as well.
I agree...., here it would not be allowed. However, since you both would be full time you could open a large family childcare home. Here that would give you 12 kids..
daycare 07:39 AM 01-09-2014
I see you are also in ca.

If you have at least one year experience and can pass fire clearance you can upgrade to a large license that will allow you to have 14 children
TwinKristi 07:43 AM 01-09-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
I see you are also in ca.

If you have at least one year experience and can pass fire clearance you can upgrade to a large license that will allow you to have 14 children
This! And I believe you can be in two parts of a home. I don't know if you could market it as two different daycares under 1 license number though? Would someone prefer you in the main house over your mom in the granny unit? How would you operate both, would you be together at times? Just outside time? There's a few factors but I think if your main home is big enough for up to 14 kids (max of 4 under age 2) then I would use your mom as an assistant.
Calikate 09:06 AM 01-09-2014
Wow!!! You are all so helpful! Let me clarify a little to your questions. We would be hoping to operate one daycare but just have more children. I think we would qualify for the square footage requirement...

Another question someone mentioned after a year upgrading to a large in home daycare, is this a year of owning a daycare? Or just childcare experience in general? I have had a career for an actor for ten years and I will be leaving this to start the daycare business with my mom.

Thank you sooooo much for all the feedback! It is so appreciated and helpful
TwinKristi 09:27 AM 01-09-2014
I think you have to be licensed for a year and then you can upgrade but I'm not 100% sure on that. That's what 2 people I know did and I didn't ask why, but now that makes sense. One was almost exactly a year later so I would think that's operating a small daycare (8 kids) and then upgrading to a large (14 kids) but there's school age requirements as well. Do you have kids of your own under 13?
earlystart 09:45 AM 01-09-2014
The one year doesn't have to be in home daycare, but I'm pretty sure it has to be paid experience, such as a preschool teacher in a center (for example, you can't just say you babysat kids for a year). And I think it has to be recent experience, so if you've been acting for the past 10 years, you're going to have to do a small home daycare for 1 year before you can upgrade to a large home daycare. They're not going to let you and your mom both have a license in order to combine more children into one group. If for some reason your mom was able to get her own license at her own address at the apartment, then you would have to keep your groups separate. The point of the 1 year requirement is so that newbies don't get in over their heads with the responsibility of so many children at once.
itlw8 09:52 AM 01-09-2014
In Mo the answer would be yes and no. The house would have to be zoned to be multi family to have an apartment attached . Then It would have another address. One side is 2015 A and the apartment is 2015 B

Each person could be licensed like any other apartment BUT you could not combine because it would put you over the limit.

You could have her be a feeder program for under 2 and move up to yours when they reach preschool age. They would bot have to be run as separate programs.
Calikate 10:11 AM 01-09-2014
Sorry just to clarify I have been a full charge nanny for an actor for the last ten years, I myself do not act
TwinKristi 10:53 AM 01-09-2014
Ooooo... Care to share which actor??

If you've been nannying for the last year or more you should be fine. You'll just need to take your classes and such.
daycare 01:01 PM 01-09-2014
In ca the SF does not really matter, what matter is that you have two emergency exits and meet all of your county fire requirements.
Calikate 02:36 PM 01-09-2014
Thank you all so much! This forum is such a resource! It's a new build so it will be up to code on everything fingers crossed we can use it it's an awesome space and is close to an extra room I want to use for infant napping and also has little kitchen area, for food and snacks!
Reply Up