Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Bus or Van......
melonieb 02:29 PM 01-18-2014
My husband and I have been discussing the topic of either getting a van or a small bus for the daycare. Right now, I have a suburban and she holds 7kids. During the summer u do plan on enrolling more children to my max which is 12. I really would like a small bus due to when I have my Nana with me on field trips and such, she normally bring her grandkids. Pro and cons about both are accepted. Bus can hold 20-21 kids and daycare van 12-15. Advice......
LaLa1923 03:33 PM 01-18-2014
Originally Posted by melonieb:
My husband and I have been discussing the topic of either getting a van or a small bus for the daycare. Right now, I have a suburban and she holds 7kids. During the summer u do plan on enrolling more children to my max which is 12. I really would like a small bus due to when I have my Nana with me on field trips and such, she normally bring her grandkids. Pro and cons about both are accepted. Bus can hold 20-21 kids and daycare van 12-15. Advice......
I would go with the bus if the price isn't too high.

I have a 12 passenger and I wish I had gotten the 15.

I have 7 daycare kids and 5 kids of my own.
kelsey's kids 05:09 PM 01-18-2014
I have a 15 passenger and I works nicely but a small buss with seat belts would be easier to get the kuds in and out and buckled. It gives you room to.take more adults than just to if needed also
Childminder 06:14 PM 01-18-2014
We aren't allowed vans in MI and would have to get a bus. Vans are not structurally safe enough in collisions and rollovers. Check your licensing rules.
butterfly 06:36 PM 01-18-2014
Do you need a CDL to drive a bus?
melonieb 06:38 PM 01-18-2014
Originally Posted by kelsey's kids:
I have a 15 passenger and I works nicely but a small buss with seat belts would be easier to get the kuds in and out and buckled. It gives you room to.take more adults than just to if needed also
Thats one of the reasons I would purchase the bus. I tend to have infants and preschoolers so that would make it alot easier. Its such a pain to get the infant/preschool carseats in and out of my suburban.
melonieb 06:42 PM 01-18-2014
Originally Posted by butterfly:
Do you need a CDL to drive a bus?
In Texas as long as the bus is under 10,000lbs and no air brakes, then no you would not need a CDL. My husband does recommend that I/we get our passengers endorsement on our licenses. He already has a class b CDL so that should be an easy add-on.
melonieb 06:44 PM 01-18-2014
Originally Posted by Childminder:
We aren't allowed vans in MI and would have to get a bus. Vans are not structurally safe enough in collisions and rollovers. Check your licensing rules.
I have heard that too. Thats another reason for us wanting a small bus. I have also heard that they are limiting the daycare vans to be a certain year and spec. Not really for sure, but I do not want to purchase it, then have to change out a year or two later.
Chuckles 11:11 PM 01-18-2014
Vans have a higher roll over risk and the insurance will be higher. Children are more likely to be left on vans than buses because buses are easier to walk through to verify the presence of children. You would need to look up car seat instructions/compatibility for vans vs. buses as the seats will be different. I know that regular booster seats designed for children 4 years old and more than 35lbs cannot be used with only a lap belt according to the label. There is a new law in effect that requires any vehicle used to transport eight or more children must be equipped with a child safety alarm. Also keep in mind that children cannot occupy the front seat of a vehicle. For example, a fifteen passenger van can really only transport thirteen children. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Reply Up