Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Terming HELP
Unregistered 11:48 AM 03-07-2014
I have a situation. I'll try stick with the facts, but my emotions are on high. I am signed out to keep my identity safe.

In May, My DCC (now DCC1) was sick. Vomiting. Client kept child home 2 days (Tues/Wed). Thursday they came to care stating child was "fine". Child vomited on me within 2 minutes. Dad had not even left yet. I sent her home with him, obviously.

In November, I text the client @ 2PM to tell mother child (DCC1) was sick and she needed to be picked up. Mother states she can't leave work & will contact the father. Mother text back to say she was still having issues getting ahold of father. Mother arrived to pick up the child at 5:15PM (normal pickup). I informed her, per my policy, they needed to pickup immediately. She said she understood & it would never happen again. I informed the father of the same the next time I saw him.

In January, the child (DCC1) arrived to care on a Friday (the day after returning from Mexico) with what father described as "bug bites". Child had a huge area of about 50 "bites" on her bottom/leg. I talked with mother at pickup. Mother stated she also had "bites". She assumed they were sand fleas. I googled sand fleas & took their word for it. I do realize this was stupid. 2 days later my youngest ended up with 2 spots & my middle 3 spots (on their bottom). These spots, IMHO, resembled what DCC came with on Friday. Although, not to the extent of DCC1. On Tuesday, another of my DCC (DCC2) had 2 spots. One on face, one on back of leg & 2 contained within the diaper. I decided to discuss this with (DCC1) client at Tuesday pickup. I said it, IMHO, resembled what her child had (which was clearing up). We both agreed it would be really coincidental to not be. I asked if she had discussed it with her doctor. No she had not. I informed DCC2 clients of my thoughts. All children have been clear for 5 weeks. EXCEPT the original child who ALWAYS has some sort of rash (which her ped says is "normal").

It is now 7 weeks later. On Thursday of last week, my one other DCC (DCC3, who never showed any signs of rash) comes down with a "rash". It, again IMHO, resembles what original child showed up with. This child however had a huge area of about 25-30 spots. I bring it to the attention of this child's mom. I tell her that it may be wise to take her child to the doctor. The mother takes her. Child has Staph. I immediately inform all other parents that they need to take their children if their child shows ANY RASH (which original child still did).

On Monday, DDC1 client text to say she took child to dr. Rash was NOT staph but child did have ear infection. Dr was going to put child on antibiotic for ear & that it would also take care of any staph just in case.

DDC1 has not returned to care this week. Mother said child has not been herself & running 103 fever. BUT had not taken child back to doctor. On Wednesday she text to say she was keeping her home again Thursday & would talk to doctor on Thurs. Thursday (yesterday) afternoon I text to ask how child was & what doctor had to say. Client said child was "well" and had not had fever all day. It had been taken twice. She even text photo of child playing. She text at 8PM to say that child would not be here Friday. She said (and I quote), "been around 99-100 temp today so nothing bad but she is just out of it. Crying all the time, everything hurts, her eyes, ears, lips and bottom are red....then to top it off she is resisting meds and puked it on me." I suggested the ER.

DDC1 Father shows up with payment this am. I ask how child is doing. He says she is OK, they have call into dr, & they believe she may be allergic to antibiotic. He says she would be fine during the day but take a turn for worse in evening. Except yesterday, she had been "a bear" all day. I'M CONFUSED BECAUSE MOM SAID SHE WAS 'WELL' IN TEXTS TO ME. I say I hope new meds would take care of it. I hate her being so ill. Father says, they were going to switch her to another antibiotic but dr changed mind because that particular one would not treat the staph infection. WHAT? I THINK MY JAW WAS ON FLOOR. I SAY, SHE HAS STAPH???! REMEMBER MOM SAID CHILD DID NOT HAVE IT. Father tries to back track. Well, um, no, I mean they are treating her just in case. And that they were waiting for phone call to be seen.

I am livid. I have known them to not tell the same story on other occasions. Like: child was crabby this week. Mother says not at home. But Father says yes she is. I just want to term. I no longer feel like I can trust this family. HELP!!!
Blackcat31 11:57 AM 03-07-2014
ALWAYS require a written note from the doctor stating what the child has.

NEVER take a parents word as to what the ailment is.

I will not accept a child into care without the note from the doctor.

I don't allow the doctor to say whether a child is or isn't excluded from care (that is MY call) but I DO require written diagnosis from the doctor.

Had that been your policy in the very beginning, the parent would not have been able to do this to you.

I am sorry you are dealing with this.

If you would like to see my doctor's note form, let me know.
MotherNature 12:16 PM 03-07-2014
ugh-sorry you're dealing with this. Obviously they don't care who they infect. If you've caught them in lies before, it just adds to their untrustworthiness. Bye-bye. I'd term.
drseuss 12:19 PM 03-07-2014
Anybody that would knowingly expose young children in my house to staph needs to take their extra diapers and hit the road.
LadyPearl 12:21 PM 03-07-2014
All I can say is wow! Honestly, I am paranoid about things like that! I would have freaked out to see the spots and to know about travel out of the country. My mind would have been all over the place! That sounds like some serious lying!!
Cradle2crayons 02:09 PM 03-07-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I don't allow the doctor to say whether a child is or isn't excluded from care (that is MY call) but I DO require written diagnosis from the doctor.

Had that been your policy in the very beginning, the parent would not have been able to do this to you.

this... Exactly
Unregistered 02:12 PM 03-07-2014
I termed. My first term ever. I am sick to my stomach. A nervous wreck. I don't know if I'm cut out for the business owner side of this.

Thank you, Blackcat. I will log in & take you up on that.
drseuss 02:31 PM 03-07-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I termed. My first term ever. I am sick to my stomach. A nervous wreck. I don't know if I'm cut out for the business owner side of this.

Good for you! The first few times you have to do these things are never fun, but the uncomfortable situations do get easier to handle. Now you KNOW you can handle it, and you know how empowering it is to stand up for yourself. It's a huge personal growth thing. I hope you have a wonderful, relaxing weekend.
Blackcat31 02:39 PM 03-07-2014

Oh hun...don't beat yourself up. It is part of the business, but honestly you won't have to do it very often once you figure out your groove.

Here is the form I use for doctor's diagnosis.

It requires the doctor to fill it out, NOT the parent. It has a page of parent instructions include.

If a child is home, I will just e-mail the form to them before allowing them to return.

If you have trouble viewing/opening the file, let me know.
LaLa1923 07:26 PM 03-07-2014

This is genius!! Can I see the form??
LaLa1923 07:27 PM 03-07-2014
Oh hun...don't beat yourself up. It is part of the business, but honestly you won't have to do it very often once you figure out your groove.

It requires the doctor to fill it out, NOT the parent. It has a page of parent instructions include.

If a child is home, I will just e-mail the form to them before allowing them to return.

Thank you!!
grateday 10:14 PM 03-07-2014

I have a parent that is great to deal with if any illness arises and has great communication but does not believe in western medicine practices somewhat. I mean she would take her kid to the doctor for serious injury but uses alternative homeopath naturopath treatments. What do you do with that one?
grateday 10:16 PM 03-07-2014
I have a situation. I'll try stick with the facts, but my emotions are on high. I am signed out to keep my identity safe.

In May, My DCC (now DCC1) was sick. Vomiting. Client kept child home 2 days (Tues/Wed). Thursday they came to care stating child was "fine". Child vomited on me within 2 minutes. Dad had not even left yet. I sent her home with him, obviously.

In November, I text the client @ 2PM to tell mother child (DCC1) was sick and she needed to be picked up. Mother states she can't leave work & will contact the father. Mother text back to say she was still having issues getting ahold of father. Mother arrived to pick up the child at 5:15PM (normal pickup). I informed her, per my policy, they needed to pickup immediately. She said she understood & it would never happen again. I informed the father of the same the next time I saw him.

In January, the child (DCC1) arrived to care on a Friday (the day after returning from Mexico) with what father described as "bug bites". Child had a huge area of about 50 "bites" on her bottom/leg. I talked with mother at pickup. Mother stated she also had "bites". She assumed they were sand fleas. I googled sand fleas & took their word for it. I do realize this was stupid. 2 days later my youngest ended up with 2 spots & my middle 3 spots (on their bottom). These spots, IMHO, resembled what DCC came with on Friday. Although, not to the extent of DCC1. On Tuesday, another of my DCC (DCC2) had 2 spots. One on face, one on back of leg & 2 contained within the diaper. I decided to discuss this with (DCC1) client at Tuesday pickup. I said it, IMHO, resembled what her child had (which was clearing up). We both agreed it would be really coincidental to not be. I asked if she had discussed it with her doctor. No she had not. I informed DCC2 clients of my thoughts. All children have been clear for 5 weeks. EXCEPT the original child who ALWAYS has some sort of rash (which her ped says is "normal").

It is now 7 weeks later. On Thursday of last week, my one other DCC (DCC3, who never showed any signs of rash) comes down with a "rash". It, again IMHO, resembles what original child showed up with. This child however had a huge area of about 25-30 spots. I bring it to the attention of this child's mom. I tell her that it may be wise to take her child to the doctor. The mother takes her. Child has Staph. I immediately inform all other parents that they need to take their children if their child shows ANY RASH (which original child still did).

On Monday, DDC1 client text to say she took child to dr. Rash was NOT staph but child did have ear infection. Dr was going to put child on antibiotic for ear & that it would also take care of any staph just in case.

DDC1 has not returned to care this week. Mother said child has not been herself & running 103 fever. BUT had not taken child back to doctor. On Wednesday she text to say she was keeping her home again Thursday & would talk to doctor on Thurs. Thursday (yesterday) afternoon I text to ask how child was & what doctor had to say. Client said child was "well" and had not had fever all day. It had been taken twice. She even text photo of child playing. She text at 8PM to say that child would not be here Friday. She said (and I quote), "been around 99-100 temp today so nothing bad but she is just out of it. Crying all the time, everything hurts, her eyes, ears, lips and bottom are red....then to top it off she is resisting meds and puked it on me." I suggested the ER.

DDC1 Father shows up with payment this am. I ask how child is doing. He says she is OK, they have call into dr, & they believe she may be allergic to antibiotic. He says she would be fine during the day but take a turn for worse in evening. Except yesterday, she had been "a bear" all day. I'M CONFUSED BECAUSE MOM SAID SHE WAS 'WELL' IN TEXTS TO ME. I say I hope new meds would take care of it. I hate her being so ill. Father says, they were going to switch her to another antibiotic but dr changed mind because that particular one would not treat the staph infection. WHAT? I THINK MY JAW WAS ON FLOOR. I SAY, SHE HAS STAPH???! REMEMBER MOM SAID CHILD DID NOT HAVE IT. Father tries to back track. Well, um, no, I mean they are treating her just in case. And that they were waiting for phone call to be seen.

I am livid. I have known them to not tell the same story on other occasions. Like: child was crabby this week. Mother says not at home. But Father says yes she is. I just want to term. I no longer feel like I can trust this family. HELP!!!
I found out lies later on........Its when you are open in communication that the lies they told become divulged and they don't even realize at times that you caught them in a lie. The best part is when the mother and father are not in communication with one another and you catch them. Hmmm. So mom says this and dad picks up and says this.....
KidGrind 05:17 AM 03-08-2014
Originally Posted by grateday:
I found out lies later on........Its when you are open in communication that the lies they told become divulged and they don't even realize at times that you caught them in a lie. The best part is when the mother and father are not in communication with one another and you catch them. Hmmm. So mom says this and dad picks up and says this.....
I have a DCM like this (outside of illness), I get her. I just don’t like her need to keep up appearances. The sad part about it is she’s an awful liar. The DCD bust her out maybe 5% of the time. 95% of the time, she doesn’t remember her lie two days ago and reveals her own lie. I refer to her as my 48 Hour Truth Serum. All her lies revolve around her guilt of dropping off DCB when she was not at work.

Each time she tells me what she has to do at work. I giggle out loud and share, “__________ it is not of my business what you do.” I do the same when it comes out she was in bed that day 2 days later.
Blackcat31 06:37 AM 03-08-2014
Originally Posted by grateday:
I have a parent that is great to deal with if any illness arises and has great communication but does not believe in western medicine practices somewhat. I mean she would take her kid to the doctor for serious injury but uses alternative homeopath naturopath treatments. What do you do with that one?
I honestly don't care if a parent believed lemon Jell-O solved all their medical issues. That is their choice.

However, it is MY choice to NOT accept their child into care if they are exhibiting ANY of the symptoms I exclude for.

If the child is excluded, they cannot return until they have met all the requirements for re-admittance.

Sometimes that may require a doctor's note. If that parent refused to do that, then they would NOT be re-admitted into my care.

It really is that simple.

Parents have ALL the right in the world to choose whatever methods they wish to treat their child's ailments and health needs.

However, I also have a right to set policies and rules that I believe are in the best interest of ALL children in care and to NOT allow a parent to return until they have completed the requirements (doctor's note/child free of symptoms) of my program.

Requirements they agreed upon at the time of enrollment.

Like, I mentioned this in your thread about stopping parents from not brining sick kids, it REALLY is all about enforcing YOUR program rules.
countrymom 07:19 AM 03-08-2014
wow, so they would rather hide it and infect all the children then tell the truth, oh wait that happened last week to me.
Reply Up